Bad News - difficulty shifting into gear
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Bad News - difficulty shifting into gear in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; This morning I went outside to start the V and drive it to work like I do everyday Friday.. I ...
    jeremy107 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Bad News - difficulty shifting into gear

This morning I went outside to start the V and drive it to work like I do everyday Friday.. I had a corvette at one point and it wouldn't let you get the keys unless the car is parked in reverse, so it's a habit to park the V that way. Ok, start it up run back inside finish somethings, come back out (had put it in neural before I went back in).

Hope in ready to go, it WILL NOT go into reverse. Then it was difficult to get it in other gears (yes clutch was in). I'm serious a 2-3 battle trying to get in reverse. Finally cut it off and tried again and it went into reverse with the car off. Left for work and now it seems rough going into other gears? Please tell me this isn't something that will cost a fortune! Thanks guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

re: Bad News - difficulty shifting into gear

Check the clutch fluid first.

If it is not grinding when you are trying to go into any gear (engine running), it may be s a shift linkage issue.

If it is grinding when you are trying to go into any gear (engine running) it is most likely clutch drag.

The checklist in the Service Manual for Clutch Drag is as follows:
    1. Pedal blocked from full travel.
    2. Too much travel between pedal and clutch master cylinder or worn pedal bushings.
    3. Clutch pedal mounting loose.
    4. Linkage at pedal worn or damaged.
    5. Clutch master cylinder is seized or binding.
    6. Air in clutch hydraulic system.
    7. Clutch actuator (slave) cylinder seized or binding.
    8. Clutch master cylinder leaking internally.
    9. Damaged clutch assembly components. This includes damaged clutch disc, hub, splines, bent clutch disc, bent drive straps, broken or warped pressure plate. [I did not find any thickness specs for the clutch disc.]
    10. Excessive side loading on the release bearing.
    11. Faulty pilot bearing.
    12. Transmission input shaft splines are worn or damaged.
    13. Tight or contaminated clutch disc splines.
    14. Flywheel housing, engine block to clutch housing, or transmission front case excessively misaligned.
    15. Grease or oil contamination on the clutch disc facing.
    16. Loose, broken, or faulty motor mounts.

Wow..Thanks for the quick reply on how to fix this problem, That was awesome. Little more info, while driving it, just seemed a little rough getting into gears. Havent checked the fluid yet but I hope thats the only problem, so I wont have to do this huge checklist that half of it I wouldnt know where to start on half of it. :/

Although the clutch fluid should be periodically flushed and the system bled, the quick work around is to just remove the fluid in the reservoir with a turkey baster and replace it with fresh fluid. (Brake Fluid DOT 3 (good) or DOT 4 (better) - it does not matter what is in there now DOT 3&4 are completely compatible).

Well now that you say that Im doing the oil this weekend so might as well do that while Im at it. Dot 4. Is there anything other things I can do it that would be a normal check or change? I got allllll weekend to clean it and maintance it

The CTS-V is "fluid intensive." By that I mean every fluid in the car, with exception of the coolant, should be changed periodically. Both the hydraulic clutch system and the hydraulic brake system perform much better with fresh fluid (brake fluid attracts water over time). The power steering system runs hot, and the fluid should be changed if the color changes to brown (burnt) or milky (condensation water). The transmission fluid should last awhile, but can need changed as often as the oil in hot climates. The differential fluid has limited slip additives that deteriorate over time and should be changed. For instructions see the CTS-V FAQS on this website.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Ok so this weekend

1. trans fluid change (DoT 3,4)
    2. Brake system flush and change (DoT 3,4)
    3. Power Sterring Fluid change
    4. Diff Fluid change also
    5. Mobile 1 5w30 oil change

I can carry the noob title for a little while thats fine lol, I just got the V last week and want to service it just so I know it is done also can track when it will need to be done again! Post like that help a sh** ton just because I am new to the V and learning it still and its needs. Hope these chagnes fix the trans prob . Thanks again for all the help!

JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys

I hope trans is a typo..... or you meant the clutch. I use M1 synthetic ATF (under 4 qts.) in the trans FWIW and Redline 75w90 in the diff. Agreed with others, clutch should be flushed often, atleast suction out the reservoir and wipe out the black crud and top off again. I know when putting in RevShift motor mounts replacing ~20-25k mile old stock mounts (2nd set), it gets into 1 and R a lot smoother. I have Creative Steal trans mount FWIW.

PISNUOFF Guest

**1. CLUTCH fluid

Yes sorry I meant cluth not trans Im actually at work, tryin to watch this topic and work at the same time so my mind is in turbo mod.

1. clutch fluid (DoT 3,4 or M1 Synthetic ATF 4 Quarts)
    2. Brakes (DoT 3,4)
    3. Power Sterring Fluid Change Synthetic Im guessing?
    4. Diff Fluid change 75w90 M1
    5. M1 5w30 Oil change.

Im gonna check the trans and motor mounts once i get under it. Im guessing I will see a lot of wear if it needs replacing and some play in it. Am I missing anything guys? Thanks for all the help I will now bash my face to AutoZone to spend 100$+ in fluids

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

Where are you located at?

Spring Hill Tn. 10 mins from franklin. or 25 mins from nashville. (South)

Im guessing the trans mount needs to be replaced it has 100k on the car, not sure if its been replaced or not but from alot of forums and posts they are known for motor and trans mount going out. Do I just shake the trans and can tell if it needs replacing or not? Just trying to narrow things out what this issue could be while im under the car, saw of some shifter issues also on the forum.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.