Bad News - difficulty shifting into gear - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Bad News - difficulty shifting into gear in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; The OEM transmission mount collapses, which can actually occur with the passage of time as well as accumulated mileage. And ...
    darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

re: Bad News - difficulty shifting into gear

The OEM transmission mount collapses, which can actually occur with the passage of time as well as accumulated mileage. And guess what, one of the symptoms is problematic shifting. There aftermarket replacements as well as a less expensive-easier to install "insert" to "un-collapse" it.

The motor mounts are liquid-filled units which eventually develop leaks. The leakage leaves telltale signs of brownish liquid in the vicinity of the mounts. The motor mount failure rate varies more with how many times the driver "punches" the throttle.

jeremy107 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Found a few online replacement trans mounts for around 100$. Signs of the motors mounts with leaky fluid that will be easy to spot ,is there any specific things to see if my trans mount is bad? (shaking left to right, popping, loose ex. ex.?) or should I just go ahead and replace it?

----------

https://www.creative-steel.com/store...ct_detail&p=32

Good reviews at least

JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy107 View Post
    Found a few online replacement trans mounts for around 100$. Signs of the motors mounts with leaky fluid that will be easy to spot ,is there any specific things to see if my trans mount is bad? (shaking left to right, popping, loose ex. ex.?) or should I just go ahead and replace it?

----------

https://www.creative-steel.com/store...ct_detail&p=32

Good reviews at least
    According to the GM Service Manual the only listed symptom related to a failing transmission mount that I can find is the inability to shift the transmission into ONE of the gears. See attached.

Revshift (add on the right side of the page) sells an insert for the OEM mount.

You should also know that all of the aftermarket transmission mount options can introduce a slight increase in felt vibration (I don't have one yet so I'll defer to others on that subject.)

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post

1964 Cadillac DeVille Convertible

1972 Cadillac Fleetwood Eldorado

That led me here

Hope you resolve your Bad News
    thebigjimsho likes this.

trukk is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon

Lets say you are trying to shift into 5th at about 135 mph. Then lets say your reverse lockout solenoid fails. It is theoretically possible to mis-shift into R. It is also highly theoretical that your reverse gear may disintegrate into dust.

At that point you will have no reverse gear.

This may or may not have happened to me at VIR.

-Chris
    2005 CTS-V:No Roof|T2+Eibachs|Corsa|UUC:Shifter, 2pc rotors, B-Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|FFV IntakeTube|Hotchkis Sways|Kooks 1.75 Coated LTs+cats|KARS III |Mamofied Fast90 + NW90|224/228 111+0 XFI/XE-R .609/.588+Dual Springs|ATI 25% UD Pulley|YT 1.7" UltraLites|Melling HiFlow OP|Cloyes Hex Adjust Timing Set|Lucas 42# Flow Matched Injectors|Katech LS9X Twin-Disk ClutchMustang Dyno Tuned (SAE): 412rwhp / 380 rwtq
    2012 CTS-V:No Roof|Wagon|M6|Recaros|Bone stock (for now)

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Now THAT would be bad news...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

I replaced the engine oil,flushed the brakes, 4 quarts of ATF, rear diff fluid changed also.

I also have a roar coming from the rear of the car, done some searching online and found out most of the humming problems are from wheel bearings. Im not sure that I can be positive and pin point it to which side when Im pretty sure it is the passengers side. From what I can remember placing your hands at 12 and 6 o'clock or 3 and 9 o'clock and try to wiggle the tire (while lifted off the floor) it will have some play in it then it is a bad wheel bearing.. Is this correct for V's??? I really hope it is a wheel bearing and nothing coming from the diff. Trying to narrow the problem down before I just go out buying parts to replace.

My trans shifting problem has still not solved after the fluid change. It will not go into reverse, reverse lights come on but doesn't go into reverse, first gear and second gear is also rough.. Problem started this morning stating in OP. Looked at the Revshift trans block that inserts into the factory mount, is this worth getting over just replacing the entire mount? All replies are appericated guys!

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Yes the revshift insert is worth it. Get it. also Take a pic of your mount so we can see how collapsed it is.

If you don't have motor mounts yet, get them

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

I replaced the engine oil,flushed the brakes, 4 quarts of ATF, rear diff fluid changed also.

I also have a roar coming from the rear of the car, done some searching online and found out most of the humming problems are from wheel bearings. Im not sure that I can be positive and pin point it to which side when Im pretty sure it is the passengers side. From what I can remember placing your hands at 12 and 6 o'clock or 3 and 9 o'clock and try to wiggle the tire (while lifted off the floor) it will have some play in it then it is a bad wheel bearing.. Is this correct for V's??? I really hope it is a wheel bearing and nothing coming from the diff. Trying to narrow the problem down before I just go out buying parts to replace.

My trans shifting problem has still not solved after the fluid change. It will not go into reverse, reverse lights come on but doesn't go into reverse, first gear and second gear is also rough.. Problem started this morning stating in OP. Looked at the Revshift trans block that inserts into the factory mount, is this worth getting over just replacing the entire mount? All replies are appericated guys!
    Hello jeremy107,

After reading this thread I see you have been offered great advice from other members. Please keep us updated on your vehicle fix. If there are ever concerns or questions you have,feel free to private message us.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Although the amount of tire "wiggle" is indicative of bearing condition, the tolerance with sealed bearings is much less (i.e. 0.005 inch) than for the conventional unsealed wheel bearings. Checking requires a dial indicator - see attachment to this post:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post3314780

If the original mount suffers from separation of the rubber from the metal it should be replaced. However, if the original mount merely suffers from internal "collapse" either the insert or an aftermarket replacement are attractive alternatives because the OEM mount (GM Part No. 15861893) carries a $525 MRSP, and is not cheap even at the discounted prices that I have seen.

sgtdestruction is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Silver

Let me know if you want to change out your motor mounts. Did mine a few months back and can offer some guidance and help.

bjazz69 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    If you still can't shift in to gear either you did not bleed right or you have a bad master or slave cylinder. I would guess you need go bleed more it is a PITA to bleed the clutch especially when you have introduced air in the system.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtdestruction View Post
    Let me know if you want to change out your motor mounts. Did mine a few months back and can offer some guidance and help.
    I'm sure I need them, any help would be awesome! Me and a friend of mine did all the fluid changes this weekend. I'm guessing the trans mount is causing the hard shifting. I'm not positive ill have the cash to buy the mount support from revshift (blue 40$ one) heard good things about it anyways and the Motor mounts at the same time. I need a freaking rear wheel bearings too (at least I hope that's what it is) rear boot isn't busted and from driving and riding sounds like a wheel bearing I just pray its not the diff. Sounds like passenger rear wheel bearing. All searches I've found just describe a humm or roar and it was the wheel bearing

----------

It is shifting into gear, just rough going into first and second and reverse. How you bleed the clutch? I'm def gonna go ahead and do that as well. I sucked all the fluid out the reservoir and cleaned it out. Filled back up with DoT3 and pumped it while my friend punched the line and a fluid coming out the line was a little dirty but nothing big time

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.