Vibration around 60 ive tried all the usual stuff
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Vibration around 60 ive tried all the usual stuff in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I am having issues with a slight vibration when over about 60mph on my 04? I thought it was my ...
    xbladr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Vibration around 60 ive tried all the usual stuff

I am having issues with a slight vibration when over about 60mph on my 04? I thought it was my wheels but i had them all straightened and road force balanced both my stockers and aftermarket wheels are doing this. You can see the steering wheel vibrate a little bit but, it gets significantly worse the more passengers and weight I have in the car. With a full load it feels like it is borderline hopping. I usually just drive by myself so its not bad just a little noticable. Does anyone have an ideas? I am not sure what could cause this or what to check. tire pressure is at 35 all around.

Thanks in advance guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Vibration around 60 ive tried all the usual stuff

The service manual contains no less than 50 pages dedicated to vibration analysis. Dealerships typically have some special equipment to trace the sources of vibration. Based on what you have checked I would be looking at wheel bearings and the driveshaft unless some additional info eliminated those as sources. See attached.
    Attached Files

Thanks darkman I will look into those. Some of them refer to tools via numbers I will have to also research what those are. Is there an easy way to check wheel bearings? The way listed there says to use a chassis ear and a dial indicator which I do not have.

Failing wheel bearings typically make enough noise that you can identify the problem, but with sealed bearings the only way to check a bearing that is quiet is with a dial indicator - assuming, of course, that the degree of movement is not so bad that you detect it just by feel.

ok I will check them when I swap wheels again next week. I dont feel a clicking when turning or even a noise coming from them. Not sure that is the answer but maybe carrier bearing on the DS or possibly the DS is out of balance. I will look into this as well. Thanks Darkman

trhs75 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Hi Xbladr,

I'm certainly no pro, but have you tried switching the front wheels to the back temporarily? If the vibration origin changes or it disappears, you will have found your culprit, assuming it's not in all four wheels. Just a thought, but an inexpensive diagnostic test!

TRHS75 I have changed to a completely different set of wheels and different set of tires. Had both sets balanced multiple times. One set is staggered so I couldn't change those around however the other set is the OEM 245 45 18's and i have swapped those around multiple times without any change. That is a great and easy test though.

carlson_mn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Platinum 06 CTS-V, kooks, magnaflow

No expert here but def get the driveshaft checked, the fact it gets worse with added weight in the vehicle makes me think that will effect the driveshaft as the chassis of the vehicle changes with weight. Good luck.

Carlson awesome response I am going to drop it off at my local performance guy see if they can take a peak at the DS for me. Thanks

Carnut_s is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS -V 2013 SRX

I'm having the same issue in my 07 at 63MPH. I did everything you did except the drive shaft. Let us know if the drive shaft was the problem. Thanks

nvthev is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 cts-v
    Is there any advantage to spending the $1000 and buying the 1 piece shaft and saying goodbye to those discs?

I think the general consensus is still the 2 piece gforce shaft. I have yet to look at the DS carnut but when I do I will let you know.

seeyouinajif is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Carnut_s View Post
    I'm having the same issue in my 07 at 63MPH. I did everything you did except the drive shaft. Let us know if the drive shaft was the problem. Thanks
    Same issue in my 05 at 63 MPH, also seems to be a tad worse before the car warms up. Interested to know if the drive shaft fixed the OP's issue.

From what I saw the DS seemed fine. It is not RPM rated and it isnt all the time. Some days it drives smooth as silk and other days its horrendous. I am still trying to figure out the issue. Nobody can seem to pinpoint it. With it being perfectly fine some days and terrible others its so hard to pinpoint. I have run this by a bunch of people and nobody has had anything thats really worked. It is frustrating to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by xbladr View Post
    From what I saw the DS seemed fine. It is not RPM rated and it isnt all the time. Some days it drives smooth as silk and other days its horrendous. I am still trying to figure out the issue. Nobody can seem to pinpoint it. With it being perfectly fine some days and terrible others its so hard to pinpoint. I have run this by a bunch of people and nobody has had anything thats really worked. It is frustrating to say the least.
    Does this vibration occur at 60 mph regardless of gear selection? If you are normally in 6th gear when it occurs, have you tried it in 5th or 4th at the same speed? (There is a known issue involving 6th gear vibration.)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.