What Fuel
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, What Fuel in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Ok, so I am very brand new to this Forum. I am having a issue with my "V" and not ...
    johnashleyv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

What Fuel

Ok, so I am very brand new to this Forum. I am having a issue with my "V" and not knowing where to start. I have this rattle that I get at idle and also under a load at acceleration. I have asked a tech and said it sounds like valve ping, because I have been running regular because I was told my another "V" owner I could do so. But the rattle I got before. I do have a corsa exhaust and have heard of the resinator going bad as well. I drove in 3 gear and a high rpm and kept acclerating and trying to find the noise, it sounds like it is coming out from near the middle of the car toward the drivers door. First what grade fuel can and should I run in here? And second what or where should I start?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: What Fuel

Does the car have any modifications other than the Corsa exhaust?

Just a volant Intake. Nothing else

It should run on regular fuel without "pinging." Even if it were related to fuel octane it would not do so at idle - only under load. Higher octane fuel will increase horsepower since the computer will add timing advance. Trying a tank or two is an inexpensive experiment to see if it helps.

The Corsa exhaust can rattle not only for a defective resonator, but also from fitment. The routine fix is to loosen and retighten all the hardware.

At high mileage (more than 50k miles) the stock dual-mass flywheel, which is a spring loaded device, can begin to rattle at both idle and under load.

Ive worried about that cuz ive noticed I do have some minor clutch issues, like sometimes it does rattle when letting the clutch out. How big of a issue is that and also how expensive of a fix is it? Im just kinda curuios cuz well like I said, im new to this and want to make the car run really well and last. Ive always wanted one and finally got it. Kinda thought the sound kinda came from the area of the transmission housing.

Quote Originally Posted by johnashleyv View Post
    Ive worried about that cuz ive noticed I do have some minor clutch issues, like sometimes it does rattle when letting the clutch out. How big of a issue is that and also how expensive of a fix is it? Im just kinda curuios cuz well like I said, im new to this and want to make the car run really well and last. Ive always wanted one and finally got it. Kinda thought the sound kinda came from the area of the transmission housing.
    I don't recall any reports of the dual-mass flywheel actually failing, so I believe that they just get noisy. Typically, the dual-mass flywheel will outlast the other clutch components in the car, but that depends on how hard the driver is on clutches.

ive been pretty good with them. Dont do a lot of beating it or anything. Just really only hard accelerating and then not much of the slamming of gears. So just kinda deal with it for now I guess.

Manofmetal01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V Kooks 1 7/8, Corsa, KW Var 3, Hotchkis sways
    I used to get a rattle not ling after getting my corsa and other exhaust parts put in...found one of the pipes was tapping against the diff. Between poor placement and old exhaust bushings there was enough play that it qas very noticeable. Loosened all the clamps, readjusted until I felt it was good, tightened and now all I hear is the exhaust. Hopefully thats all youre dealing with.

mstrjon32 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

My 2 cents: I'm not sure of the cause of your noise, but if you fill up once a week, and premium costs 30 cents more per gallon, and you put in 15 gallons, you're spending an extra $4.50 a week. Do this 52 times a year and you're spending an extra $234 a year. Nothing to sneeze at, but not breaking the bank either and it's cheap insurance to know that your expensive engine is running on the fuel it was designed to run on and you're getting the best performance (and fuel economy) possible.

was this only during accleration or all the time?

----------

I just started running regular because I was told I could do so. Wasn't for expense purpose, just told I wouldn't lose any performance really out of it and wouldn't do any damage. So figured it wouldn't hurt. Wasn't trying to chince out, just basically like buying wal-mart brand cherrios and name brand cheerios. Why buy name brand if the other's taste exactly the same.

mstrjon32 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by johnashleyv View Post
    I just started running regular because I was told I could do so. Wasn't for expense purpose, just told I wouldn't lose any performance really out of it and wouldn't do any damage. So figured it wouldn't hurt. Wasn't trying to chince out, just basically like buying wal-mart brand cherrios and name brand cheerios. Why buy name brand if the other's taste exactly the same.
    Fair enough. IMO, that was poor advice. While you can run the car on regular in a pinch, you are definitely going to get more KR and lower performance on regular.

what is KR?

PISNUOFF Guest

The computer senses knock and retards the timing (KR = knock retard). After a certain number of knocks in a specified timeframe it reverts to a low octane spark timing map. You definitely WILL lose performance and depending on the fuel you may still experience additional knock/pinging under hard acceleration. Stick with the highest octane you can run. I always run Shell V-Power. Not because it has V in the name but all my vehicles run better on it.

With all that said, I have seen and tuned two LS motor cars that sound like they are pinging (like a small pebble in an aluminum can) that could not be tuned out, even by fattening the AFR and dropping the timing down to virtually nothing. Both vehicles (one manual and one automatic) made the noise prior to tuning and still make the sound even after 35,000 miles after I tuned them.

JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys

Quote Originally Posted by mstrjon32 View Post
    My 2 cents: I'm not sure of the cause of your noise, but if you fill up once a week, and premium costs 30 cents more per gallon, and you put in 15 gallons, you're spending an extra $4.50 a week. Do this 52 times a year and you're spending an extra $234 a year. Nothing to sneeze at, but not breaking the bank either and it's cheap insurance to know that your expensive engine is running on the fuel it was designed to run on and you're getting the best performance (and fuel economy) possible.
    Agreed! If you can't spend 2 bills on your car, you bought the wrong car.

93 only. Heck, I used 94 when Sunoco once had it in other cars that only needed 91+ as well.

Using 87/regular isn't saving you any money.

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    The Wal-Mart cheerio analogy is bad. Feel free to find the cheapest gas. But each gas station doesn't have 3 grades of gas just for the heck of it...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.