Reverse Grind, Again ???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Reverse Grind, Again ??? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So my new trans is almost a year old. Original was grinding going into Reverse (unless I went to 1st ...
    SevillianSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Reverse Grind, Again ???

So my new trans is almost a year old. Original was grinding going into Reverse (unless I went to 1st gear, first) and it was popping out of reverse occasionally.

So I just noticed that UNLESS I go into 1st gear first it is starting to grind again as I push the shifter into Reverse.

Clutch fluid was flushed in the fall before putting it away for storage, it is still clean and up to level.

It did not do this until just recently. I always roll into my neighborhood in 3rd and stop in front of my house and then go straight into Reverse.

Any thoughts before I take it back in. I have a One year warranty on the trans which is about to expire. ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Reverse Grind, Again ???

Since it is under warranty, I would get it to the shop to get the condition documented. Are there any other shifting problems?

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by SevillianSTS View Post
    So my new trans is almost a year old. Original was grinding going into Reverse (unless I went to 1st gear, first) and it was popping out of reverse occasionally.

So I just noticed that UNLESS I go into 1st gear first it is starting to grind again as I push the shifter into Reverse.

Clutch fluid was flushed in the fall before putting it away for storage, it is still clean and up to level.

It did not do this until just recently. I always roll into my neighborhood in 3rd and stop in front of my house and then go straight into Reverse.

Any thoughts before I take it back in. I have a One year warranty on the trans which is about to expire. ???
    Hello SevillianSTS,

I understand how you want opinions from other forum members and they do offer some great advice! I do recommend taking your vehicle into the dealership to discuss your concern, especially since the trans is still under warranty.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    Since it is under warranty, I would get it to the shop to get the condition documented. Are there any other shifting problems?
    Nope, shifts great, especially with the revshift trans-mount block in there.

I'll be taking it in this afternoon. If the Reverse syncro is confirmed to be bad, is there a "better" part I could purchase and have them replace rather than another stock one. Reading into this it seems this is a common failure.

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

If I get reverse grind, I go from 4th to reverse. Try it in the meantime until you take it in. Seems to work best for me. 4th to R

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

I took it to the dealer, he did agree that it does grind as I stated. They are busy right now so they started the paperwork and I will call later and get it looked at next week.
    Now that I have experimented with it, I noticed: It grinds anytime I am in Neutral, press in the clutch, and then go to reverse. If I go to ANY forward gear first leave the clutch in then I can get to reverse without a problem. I also noticed when it grinds the speedometer goes up for a second. Service guy said something along the lines of the "----" shaft not being stopped when I'm going into R.

Any other suggestions ? Service guy was kind of puzzled too.

I took it to the dealer, he did agree that it does grind as I stated. They are busy right now so they started the paperwork and I will call later and get it looked at next week.
    Now that I have experimented with it, I noticed: It grinds anytime I am in Neutral, press in the clutch, and then go to reverse. If I go to ANY forward gear first leave the clutch in then I can get to reverse without a problem. I also noticed when it grinds the speedometer goes up for a second. Service guy said something along the lines of the "----" shaft not being stopped when I'm going into R.

Any other suggestions ? Service guy was kind of puzzled too.
    Dragging pressure plate?

I just had the rear end up in the air. When I put it into gear the wheels turn "maybe a few inches" then they stop. I tried revving it up while in gear and clutch in, and the wheels do not turn. I did notice that if I pushed the clutch in and waited 5 to 10 seconds then go into gear the wheels turned less to almost not at all.

If it was the pressure plate wouldn't that affect all gears ?

The service manual literature on this subject is pretty clear - the transmission should pass two tests. First, with the motor running, you should be able to shift from neutral to any gear without the car lurching or the gear grinding. If you cannot do this, you first look at clutch operation (clutch drag) and then to the transmission. Second, with the motor not running you should be able to move from any gear to any other gear. If this test fails, you look first at the shift linkage.

Hmmm, I get to step 10 ? As far as step 2: it goes from N to all forward gears just fine. N to R = Grind.

Guess we'll see what they say when they tear into it.

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    The service manual literature on this subject is pretty clear - the transmission should pass two tests. First, with the motor running, you should be able to shift from neutral to any gear without the car lurching or the gear grinding. If you cannot do this, you first look at clutch operation (clutch drag) and then to the transmission. Second, with the motor not running you should be able to move from any gear to any other gear. If this test fails, you look first at the shift linkage.
    I have to ask you Darkman, are you pulling these off Alldata? You always come thru in a 'clutch' with them. lol

Hey Darkman, I saw you talking about trans issues on another thread...

Mine is going in on Tuesday for the official diagnosis; but he even seemed stumped to why mine was only grinding when going into Reverse.

Do you think I am dealing with a clutch issue ? I don't think so, but I'm trying to arm myself with all the info I can before I leave it with them.

All forward gears are nice and smooth once warmed up. When in the air as I push into gear the wheels turn "maybe a few inches" and then stop, and remain stopped even if I revved it up.
    If I go from N press in clutch into R I will get grind every time; UNLESS I press in the clutch and wait 10-15 seconds then it will go into R smoothly. Seems to me I should not have to "wait" to go into gear.
    And other option is to go into another forward gear before Reverse and all is smooth.

Mine is going in on Tuesday for the official diagnosis; but he even seemed stumped to why mine was only grinding when going into Reverse.

Do you think I am dealing with a clutch issue ? I don't think so, but I'm trying to arm myself with all the info I can before I leave it with them.

All forward gears are nice and smooth once warmed up. When in the air as I push into gear the wheels turn "maybe a few inches" and then stop, and remain stopped even if I revved it up.
    If I go from N press in clutch into R I will get grind every time; UNLESS I press in the clutch and wait 10-15 seconds then it will go into R smoothly. Seems to me I should not have to "wait" to go into gear.
    And other option is to go into another forward gear before Reverse and all is smooth.
    Based on those details, my first guess would be the reverse gear synchronizer.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hello SevillianSTS,

I hope your diagnosis goes well and they are able to help resolve your vehicle concern. Please update us next week after your visit.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.