Reverse Grind, Again ??? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Reverse Grind, Again ??? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Well they said the reverse syncro was completely worn out; on a 4,000 mile tranny Has to be a manufacture ...
    SevillianSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Re: Reverse Grind, Again ???

Well they said the reverse syncro was completely worn out; on a 4,000 mile tranny Has to be a manufacture defect

I guess they have like 2-k of parts on order.

Excited to try the new clutch out

SevillianSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

So they said they had it all back together, reverse was fixed, but they said now it grinds in 3rd when driving. Is it possible that my master cylinder is related to this at all ? (being the slave has been replaced both times the trans was removed. He is taking the trans back down.

robojesus is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): of

I thought my slave was bad, as well... you can't really rule something like that out, but unless it's leaking it's pretty unlikely.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    The "too slippery" argument is an urban myth. It is the "argument of last resort" used by anti-synthetic oil advocates when they can produce no scientific data to demonstrate that non-synthetic petroleum based oils perform as well. The fact is synthetic lubricants do have different properties than petroleum-based oils, but an inherently different friction coefficient is not among them.
    I actually disagree with you on this. It's not like the engineers at Tremec simply overlooked using synthetic lubes in the manual transmission, it's designed and built around the friction properties of ATF.

I've talked to The Gear Box about it, and he told me to absolutely use dino-oil in the transmission, because of how it's engineered and designed. I had an issue with intermittent 5th gear grinding, and tried all the expensive designer oils (Royal Purple, Amsoil), and I talked to him about getting 5th gear only, and he told me to just put auto zone branded Dex3 in it before I did anything drastic, and sure enough, the grinding was gone after about 2 miles. This was a good 3-4 months ago.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by SevillianSTS View Post
    So they said they had it all back together, reverse was fixed, but they said now it grinds in 3rd when driving. Is it possible that my master cylinder is related to this at all ? (being the slave has been replaced both times the trans was removed. He is taking the trans back down.
    Yes, in theory the clutch master could have a problem. Your experience is reaffirming my disinclination to rebuild a T-56 myself.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by robojesus View Post
    I actually disagree with you on this. It's not like the engineers at Tremec simply overlooked using synthetic lubes in the manual transmission, it's designed and built around the friction properties of ATF.

I've talked to The Gear Box about it, and he told me to absolutely use dino-oil in the transmission, because of how it's engineered and designed. I had an issue with intermittent 5th gear grinding, and tried all the expensive designer oils (Royal Purple, Amsoil), and I talked to him about getting 5th gear only, and he told me to just put auto zone branded Dex3 in it before I did anything drastic, and sure enough, the grinding was gone after about 2 miles. This was a good 3-4 months ago.
    Tremec's recommendation regarding lubricants is not based on the notion that synthetics have a different friction coefficient. It is rather, based on what is not known about their additive packages, which Tremec has not tested.

http://www.tremec.com/menu.php?m=110#Q3
    Q: What type of fluid does TREMEC recommended?
    A: For all TKO 5-speed models, TREMEC recommends GM Synchromeshâ„¢ (GM Part # 12345349). For all other aftermarket models we recommend Dexron III ATF.

Q: Why use automatic transmission fluid in a manual gearbox?
    A: Automatic transmission fluids provide the necessary protection and lubrication, while still allowing the synchronizer to function at its best.

Q: Why not use a synthetic fluid?
    A: Some brands of synthetic fluid contain powerful detergents and additives that can prove harmful to your transmission's synchronizers. While many synthetic fluids perform very well, in most cases, we do not recommend their use. Furthermore, they may void your warranty. For peace of mind, remember that TREMEC conducts all of its OEM validation testing using conventional fluids without issue.

Q: Why not use gear oil in one of your transmissions?

A: A hypoid gear oil by design does not allow mechanical surfaces to make contact with one another. A synchronizer relies on friction (much like your car's brakes) to do its job. Thus, gear oil in a synchronized transmission can be a bad combination, potentially causing a variety of shift quality issues. Furthermore, many gear oils contain sulfur additives that can damage friction materials.
    robojesus likes this.

robojesus is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): of

i got you.

There's a guy on the forum somewhere who mixes gear oil with his ATF...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.