Reverse Grind, Again ??? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Reverse Grind, Again ??? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So they asked what fluid I have in the trans, I have Amsoil Torque Drive in it. They want me ...
    SevillianSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Re: Reverse Grind, Again ???

So they asked what fluid I have in the trans, I have Amsoil Torque Drive in it. They want me to pay to put the GM crap back in it. Ridiculous.... Then they want me to drive it for a few days to see if it gets better. I understand they gotta follow protocol and confirm it has the proper fluid... but this is frustraighting, I am using Amsoils preferred fluid for the transmission.... and the GM stuff is crap, when the trans was new I broke it in on their fluid and after less than 2000 miles the GM fluid that came out was already starting to discolor.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by SevillianSTS View Post
    So they asked what fluid I have in the trans, I have Amsoil Torque Drive in it. They want me to pay to put the GM crap back in it. Ridiculous.... Then they want me to drive it for a few days to see if it gets better. I understand they gotta follow protocol and confirm it has the proper fluid... but this is frustraighting, I am using Amsoils preferred fluid for the transmission.... and the GM stuff is crap, when the trans was new I broke it in on their fluid and after less than 2000 miles the GM fluid that came out was already starting to discolor.
    I would let them do what they think they must do. However, if they get silly and attempt to blame the Amsoil for the problem demand to see the Service Manual troubleshooting chart. It says to change the fluid if it is the wrong TYPE, and says nothing about the fluid being the wrong BRAND. In my opinion that means you can pick any brand that meets the specification (in this case probably DEXIII), but you run in trouble if (and only if) you substitute non-spec fluids.

I've got it back, was not going to pay them $80 to change the fluid. He said he thinks it is possible that the Amsoil Torque Drive may be "too slippery" uhhh NO.
    He is going to get me "Dexron III" to put in it. They didn't say it directly but pretty much tried saying the Torque Drive is not Dexron III. I said Dexron III is a "rating" not a specific fluid.
    He gave me a funnel to strain the fluid in it... we'll see what comes out.

I've got it back, was not going to pay them $80 to change the fluid. He said he thinks it is possible that the Amsoil Torque Drive may be "too slippery" uhhh NO.
    He is going to get me "Dexron III" to put in it. They didn't say it directly but pretty much tried saying the Torque Drive is not Dexron III. I said Dexron III is a "rating" not a specific fluid.
    He gave me a funnel to strain the fluid in it... we'll see what comes out.
    Dexron III is a GM licensing program, but it carries with it a very specific set of specifications dealing with the required properties for a lubricant to qualify for the license. My owner's manual says: Manual Transmission: DEXRON III Automatic Transmission Fluid, Look for "Approved for the H-Specification" on the label." The one problem may be Amsoil's corporate policy. Although their fluids meet various specifications, they have historically refused to pay the licensing fees to obtain the license.

The "too slippery" argument is an urban myth. It is the "argument of last resort" used by anti-synthetic oil advocates when they can produce no scientific data to demonstrate that non-synthetic petroleum based oils perform as well. The fact is synthetic lubricants do have different properties than petroleum-based oils, but an inherently different friction coefficient is not among them.

Darkman,
    What do you think of these ? It is NOT magnetic either, so it is brass.

Seemed to me that it had a "metallic" smell to it. Also a little darker than I expected.

Is this normal wear or is this the beginning of a bigger problem ?

----------

Original Transmission was replaced last year at 76000 miles.

Broke in new transmission; drove 500 miles like grandma.

Changed fluid at 78500 miles to Amsoil Torque Drive

Today it has 80300 miles with the N to R = Grind

4,000 miles ??? I always make sure the oil is up to temp before getting the RPM's up at all. Did I get a bad trans from the start ?

Automatic transmission fluid, which is what Dexron III really is, contains a lot of detergent and is designed to keep contaminates in solution rather than on components. Consequently, when it is run in a manual transmission, which is constantly shedding material, it can get dirty looking pretty quick.

The Tremec T-56 has a number of components that are either non-magnetic metal, or coated with non-magnetic metal. Additionally, the friction surface on the synchronizers is a carbon fiber material.

The only way I know to get a read on the contents of the drained oil is to submit it to someone like Blackstone Laboratories. They not only analyze the contents they also provide typical levels of various metal, non-metal, and chemical contaminants based on their data base. This allows you to spot whether your contamination is atypical and can help identify which internal components are wearing more quickly.

Ya, I sent an oil sample to them a year or so back and they said my motor was doing good.

Any thoughts about the bigger chunks in the strainer ?

Ya, I sent an oil sample to them a year or so back and they said my motor was doing good.

Any thoughts about the bigger chunks in the strainer ?
    Well it does not look good. I would expect to see that on the first drain of a new transmission but not on the second drain, particularly after so few miles.

So I have the standard GM Dexron III trans fluid in per dealer request.

Is it just me or is it possible that the shifter movement feels more gritty or notchy with the GM fluid in vs. the Amsoil Torque Drive ?

Also, why is it that I can shift into Reverse smoothly if I press in the clutch and wait 10-15 seconds before shifting ? What slows the shaft down while the clutch is in ? Still a syncro issue ?

I'll be taking it back in to let them know there is no difference with the new fluid.

Also, why is it that I can shift into Reverse smoothly if I press in the clutch and wait 10-15 seconds before shifting ? What slows the shaft down while the clutch is in ? Still a syncro issue ?
    The synchronizers function like "brakes" and so does holding the clutch for some length of time. That is why a transmission with failing synchronizers will pass the "static" shifting test (motor off), but will fail the "dynamic" shifting test (motor running) as described in the Service Manual trouble shooting chart.

So what causes the Reverse syncro to fail within 4,000 miles ? What are the possibilities ? It's not like Reverse ever sees any sort of spirited driving.

So what causes the Reverse syncro to fail within 4,000 miles ? What are the possibilities ? It's not like Reverse ever sees any sort of spirited driving.
    I am not sure, but I do know that in 2006 Tremec switched to carbon fiber material for the friction surface of the reverse synchronizer. The trade off with carbon fiber is that although it does not break it does wear. In any event, any manufactured part can be defective even when good quality control is in place.

Darkman, are you able to calculate a fair estimate how much I would expect to pay to have my clutch replaced if they are already taking the Trans out for the Reverse problem ?
    Thinking about going monster stage 2.

----------

estimate I meant "hours"

The standard flat-rate allowance to remove and replace the transmission is 2.4 hours. The allowance to replace the clutch is 3.9 hours inclusive of 0.2 hours each for the pilot bearing and the flywheel. Presumably the difference of 1.5 hours (3.9 - 2.4) is the incremental cost of the clutch change out.

(The allowance to remove, rebuild, and reinstall the Tremec is 9.3 hours.)

Monster Stage 2 Ordered, also ordered a Monster Remote Bleeder.

Tick Performance has Monster Clutches $150 off right now till Monday.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.