Quick question on an LS7 clutch swap
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Quick question on an LS7 clutch swap in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hey guys, stuck on mobile access for the next few hours and have searched as much as I could. Just ...
    fej
    fej is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Thunder Gray CTS-V

Quick question on an LS7 clutch swap

Hey guys, stuck on mobile access for the next few hours and have searched as much as I could. Just looking to confirm for an 07 V that the LS7 clutch assembly is a direct bolt in, no shim and that you need to notch the case a wee bit to clear room for the remote bleeder. I plan to leave the factory master and replace the slave with the LS7 unit. Stock clutch still works ok with 67k on it but trying to lose a little weight and noise.

Thanks in advance
    Fej

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PISNUOFF Guest

Re: Quick question on an LS7 clutch swap

Yes, all you need is the LS7 slave, flywheel, disc & pressure plate assembly and no shim. I didn't have to notch the bell housing in my '07.

Dan_Gurney is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 - CTS-V

I had to notch my bellhousing on my 07 with the ls7 slave (you could probably bend the one line, but notching the non-critical area seemed easier)

fej
    fej is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Thunder Gray CTS-V
    Thanks guys

lucasmartin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V LS7-Clutch, Blacked Out

We had to bend the slave cylinder line to get it to match up. Everything else was direct bolt-on

MotorMounts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Black CTS-V

I really don't want to muddy the waters, but i also did the LS7 clutch in my car and if I had to do it again with what I know now, I would look into using a LS6 slave with the LS7 clutch/flywheel. I don't know the details about what shim would be required if any behind the slave cylinder, but the LS7 slave comes with a line that is intended for a Corvette, hence it is about 18" longer than the original LS6 slave hydraulic line. Folding up this extra hose between the trans tunnel and the bell housing(tight space), along with the required modifications/grinding of the bell housing to accommodate the different angle of hydraulic line that the LS7 slave has than the original LS6 slave. What I am saying, is that if I had a mechanics shop that was going to do this swap over and over, I would better pick the parts the second and third time around.
    Our phone number is 503-316-1811 We're here M-F, 8-5 Pacific Time.
    http://www.creative-steel.com
    maxx@creative-steel.com

H-town_V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 cts-v
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorMounts
    I really don't want to muddy the waters, but i also did the LS7 clutch in my car and if I had to do it again with what I know now, I would look into using a LS6 slave with the LS7 clutch/flywheel. I don't know the details about what shim would be required if any behind the slave cylinder, but the LS7 slave comes with a line that is intended for a Corvette, hence it is about 18" longer than the original LS6 slave hydraulic line. Folding up this extra hose between the trans tunnel and the bell housing(tight space), along with the required modifications/grinding of the bell housing to accommodate the different angle of hydraulic line that the LS7 slave has than the original LS6 slave. What I am saying, is that if I had a mechanics shop that was going to do this swap over and over, I would better pick the parts the second and third time around.
    You wanna waaah-burger with those French cries?

PISNUOFF Guest

Use the CTS-V slave and pay $100 more for it than an LS7 plus you have to buy a shim. I think if I were to install a fourth LS7 clutch I would deal with the extra length of the line rather than forking out an additional $200ish. The extra line never hurt the performance of either of my LS7 clutches.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.