Thinking of buying a 04 CTS-V Need some advice!1
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Thinking of buying a 04 CTS-V Need some advice!1 in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hello everyone first of all this is my first post to the forum and thank you for allowing me to ...
    jeremy107 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Thinking of buying a 04 CTS-V Need some advice!1

Hello everyone first of all this is my first post to the forum and thank you for allowing me to join! Hopefully I will be a regular user in the near future!! I am looking into getting a 04' CTS-V. Car has 117k miles on it and is in very good shape as far as looks inside and out. I am new to the Caddy scene and better yet the CTS-V scene. I always have wanted one and now that I have a one year old son I am looking for a four door so I can have the car seat as well. CTS-V is ideal for me only because I love to still have fun at let the big dog eat ever so often..

My questions are is there anything I need to be in the looks for when going to purchase the car? I know some cars there are some things you def need to make sure it is ok before putting a lot of money of down on one. It has a clean car fax by the way with three previous owners. Thanks everyone for the guidance and help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

H-town_V is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 cts-v
    It doesn't hurt to have some experience or knowledge of the first gen V's before you just buy one. If you follow these forums for about a month you'll get very well introduced to the cars pros and cons. Also it helps to test drive a couple of these cars so you have something to compare it to.

izcain is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 V

Re: Thinking of buying a 04 CTS-V Need some advice!1

Welcome aboard!

There are many areas that should be addressed when looking at any V. A quick search down this page will tell you just about all of the areas.

If you want something that is fun, this is your car. If you want something that requires little maintenance this is not the car for that. With that said I love the V and have no quams swinging a wrench on it often!

philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

When I first got mine, I drove it for a year without any mods. I put money in the suspension and stiffened the ride for my own benefit. The only upgrade that was truly needed outside of "modding" was the motor mounts and transmission mount. The previous owner replaced the motor mounts but I did the transmission mount and it was destroyed.

The drivetrain clunks but it was like that when I bought it and after 2 years...it's annoying but it hasn't gotten any worse. It's an expensive car to mod but the results are amazing! You will find yourself filling your shopping cart full of mod-bling as an enthusiast.

Thanks for all the quick replies!! I'm excited to join the V scene. I always thought this car was awesome. First car I've looked at with this many miles on it so just was a little concerned. It is in very nice shape inside and out. No mods so far it's completely stock. If I do get it I will be putting a exhaust in it and who knows what else haha. I will def want a mean sound to it, the rest there I s no telling what I will find and get!

So there is nothing in particular I need to look fr when getting the car? I am not a professional mechanic but I def know a lot. So getting hands dirty and doing easy repairs is more fun then a hassle! Thanks again!!

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk
    There are things to look for, people are just suggesting that you search and read the forums for a while because it is all been discussed dozens of times.

That being said at 100k+ check:
    Anything rubber, if its OEM it is probably loose or failed. (motor mounts, trans mount, driveshaft carrier bearing, diff pinion bushing, sway bar bushings)
    Anything that moves. Check for excessive movement.
    Anything that has fluid in it. Check fill level. Check condition of fluid. (Motor oil, trans fluid, diff fluid, power steering. Etc)

Your best bet is to find a local V owner and ask them to ride along with you. The V is just like any car, but a current V owner would be able to point abnormalities with the specific one you are looking at.

philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V
    Search:
    Revshift, CS rear-end kit, valve springs, Radco, AFR, wheel hop, clutch, ground control coil over, KW, PISSNUOFF shifter

Quote Originally Posted by Andringa View Post
    There are things to look for, people are just suggesting that you search and read the forums for a while because it is all been discussed dozens of times.

That being said at 100k+ check:
    Anything rubber, if its OEM it is probably loose or failed. (motor mounts, trans mount, driveshaft carrier bearing, diff pinion bushing, sway bar bushings)

Anything that moves. Check for excessive movement.
    Anything that has fluid in it. Check fill level. Check condition of fluid. (Motor oil, trans fluid, diff fluid, power steering. Etc)

Your best bet is to find a local V owner and ask them to ride along with you. The V is just like any car, but a current V owner would be able to point abnormalities with the specific one you are looking at.
    This answer is perfect!! Thank you so much I'm going to check it out tomorrow!

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

Where are you located? Post up your location and see which forum members are near by... You'd be amazed how far a fellow V owning car guy would travel for a free lunch.

In general most of the things I posted about shouldn't scare you off from buying a car. They are just normal things that wear out as you drive the car. But at a 100k+ the condition of those things should be a major contributor to the price that you are willing to pay for it. i.e. similar cars with all original shocks/bushings/fluids should be worth less than a car that has been properly maintained and has all of those wear items already replaced.

I bought my 04V at 44k and now have 80k on it, and some stuff like the differential bushing was shot when I bought it and now needs to be replaced again. These cars really come alive when you are willing to put some effort into keeping everything tight. At 80k I'm pretty sure my shocks are basically toast, my swaybar bushings and endlinks are making noise, etc.

I'm in Spring Hill, TN near nashville. Would love to meet some V members just so I can learn as much as possible bout them

sgtdestruction is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Silver

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy107 View Post
    I'm in Spring Hill, TN near nashville. Would love to meet some V members just so I can learn as much as possible bout them
    I am in Smyrna, TN, about 25 minutes from spring hill. Wouldn't mind going with you to check out the car if you want a fellow V owner to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtdestruction View Post
    I am in Smyrna, TN, about 25 minutes from spring hill. Wouldn't mind going with you to check out the car if you want a fellow V owner to check it out.
    I'm actually going early in the a.m. Only because the military has me tied up for the next 14 days in a row! This one is in Clarksville so not to far of a drive about hour and 45 mins. It has 100k on it so different than the one I started the post about. I been reading non stop for a few days now and I have a idea in what things to look out for.

If only I had more time we could make it official and go together. I will be leaving at about 7am to make it there on time, look it over, and make the buy just in time to make it to fort Campbell by 1! Although, if I do or don't get it, I would still like to meet up with you and other fellow v owners!!

sgtdestruction is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Silver

Glad to see another military member on here...former Marine myself. I sent you a PM. Hit me back when you have a chance and we can meet up with a few other V members around Nashville.

H-town_V is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 cts-v
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy107

I'm actually going early in the a.m. Only because the military has me tied up for the next 14 days in a row! This one is in Clarksville so not to far of a drive about hour and 45 mins. It has 100k on it so different than the one I started the post about. I been reading non stop for a few days now and I have a idea in what things to look out for.

If only I had more time we could make it official and go together. I will be leaving at about 7am to make it there on time, look it over, and make the buy just in time to make it to fort Campbell by 1! Although, if I do or don't get it, I would still like to meet up with you and other fellow v owners!!
    I hope it's a great car and congrats if you get it. Just go Into it being willing to walk away if it has any lil things that really worry you. I test drove 5 V's before I finally found one that had zero issues.

All these cars are gonna have a lil clunky-ness in the drivetrain just watch out for anything excessively clunky.

jcar302 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

While i haven't yet made a cts V purchase (yet), i've read this post and all it's links in it's entirety.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ions-look.html

I feel like i own one already because of it.
    I put the bookmark on my tablet and i read through things as i watch tv.

About the only thing i don't know is how mileage affects the engine.
    And as you probably know from shopping for a V, a car with 75k on it is $5000+ more than one with 100K+.
    I've been trying to figure out if there is a reason for such a price discrepancy.

Because if a $15,000 is as good as a $20,000 car, i'll get the $15,000 v and drop a few grand into performance parts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.