Death of my V? Opinions? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Death of my V? Opinions? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; http://www.ebay.com/itm/ls1-ls6-alum...c44989&vxp=mtr That's the guy I bought my engine from, his name is Kyle Thompson, the owner of Thompson Motorsports, I ...
    robojesus is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): of

Re: Death of my V? Opinions?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ls1-ls6-alum...c44989&vxp=mtr

That's the guy I bought my engine from, his name is Kyle Thompson, the owner of Thompson Motorsports, I would suggest you give him a call before you spend a dime. 1-972-853-0518

He's based in texas. I would never deal with anyone else. Tell him Kevin Z sent you.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Pretty crazy that the engine ate itself while just cruising along on the highway. Do you have any idea what sort of history the car had before you bought it? One would think it wasn't beat on too much if it was completely stock, but I guess you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by TERP V View Post
    Believe me I'm all for breaking it is upgrade time, but the wallet can't handle too much. What are my options other than a new LS6 if it comes to that? LS2? LS3 seems to cost about the same, makes more power... I've seen all the LS#'s thrown about, but again cost IS a factor, and a complicated conversion/install is over my head I imagine... Also throwing major upgraded horsepower at my whiny rear diff worries me as well.

Saw an interesting remanufacturer called ProMar Precision Engines in NJ that offers an LS6 long block package for 3K (with 3 year unlimited mileage warranty), but I assume they wouldn't want my core, so not sure what the upcharge would be...
    Based on what you've told us thus far, it seems like these ProMar guys may be your best bet. I took a look at their website and it almost sounds too good to be true! If you can find some independent verification that they're legit (and that their warranty is legit, just in case) I would probably suggest you go that route.

Obviously it really depends on what your plans for the car are and what the ol' wallet can afford if you do decide to upgrade now.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

TERP V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '04 Cadillac CTS-V, '69 Firebird Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    Having someone that's interested in taking this motor off my hands (or even doing the swap simultaneously) would make the logistics vastly easier.
    Wow, sounds like a good buy, however I have to agree the logistics are pretty tough - being in Maryland sure doesn't help me...

Quote Originally Posted by johnashleyv View Post
    Terp, I hate to say this but I wish this would happen to me, haha.
    Know exactly what you mean bro!

Quote Originally Posted by robojesus View Post
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ls1-ls6-alum...c44989&vxp=mtr

That's the guy I bought my engine from, his name is Kyle Thompson, the owner of Thompson Motorsports, I would suggest you give him a call before you spend a dime. 1-972-853-0518.
    Thanks for the link/info! What did you buy from him?

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    Pretty crazy that the engine ate itself while just cruising along on the highway. Do you have any idea what sort of history the car had before you bought it? One would think it wasn't beat on too much if it was completely stock, but I guess you never know.

Based on what you've told us thus far, it seems like these ProMar guys may be your best bet. I took a look at their website and it almost sounds too good to be true! If you can find some independent verification that they're legit (and that their warranty is legit, just in case) I would probably suggest you go that route.

Obviously it really depends on what your plans for the car are and what the ol' wallet can afford if you do decide to upgrade now.
    As far as history, my understanding was that it had been a GM "program" car, however I bought it from a small used car dealer who had picked it up at auction. Ran fine from the day I bought it till it died. Sure didn't seem beat up to me.

I took the car back from my mechanic and brought it home till I figure this out. One of the guys there told me their GM guy had stopped by, and said when this happens its always with the stick shift. um, duh, though I guess in the Vette you could get an automatic... He also implied it was always from a driver mistake/abuse, over rev or missed shift or something. Not the case - I'd admit it. He also knew which cylinder it was, which is aggravating in that it means "known problem" to me.

Also, I noticed one of the motors I was watching on eBay came back down in price ($6200), I messaged them to see about deleting the transmission to save $$, though I realize I could try to sell it myself...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/111047587406...witem=&vxp=mtr

Will be making contacts this week hopefully re: the many ideas from the thread.

Looks like that one (item #111047587406) has sold - did you pick it up?

I found my new LS6 long block through www.newgmengines.com a couple years ago. I don't know if they would be able to scounge one up now, but it can't hurt to give them a call.

If you've got some place to work on the car, then you might see about pulling the intake manifold and heads to check them out. If they look good (or can be fixed), then you can shop for just a short block, which will be quite a bit more economical. In my case, cylinder #5 was the source of the failure, and the head had taken a pounding in that cylinder, but TEA was able to fix the head (and I also had them port the heads). I had to scrap the intake manifold, but that gave me a reason to find a used FAST 92 to upgrade.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Looks like that one (item #111047587406) has sold - did you pick it up?

I found my new LS6 long block through www.newgmengines.com a couple years ago. I don't know if they would be able to scounge one up now, but it can't hurt to give them a call.

If you've got some place to work on the car, then you might see about pulling the intake manifold and heads to check them out. If they look good (or can be fixed), then you can shop for just a short block, which will be quite a bit more economical. In my case, cylinder #5 was the source of the failure, and the head had taken a pounding in that cylinder, but TEA was able to fix the head (and I also had them port the heads). I had to scrap the intake manifold, but that gave me a reason to find a used FAST 92 to upgrade.
    No, it wasn't me, I guess one of the other watchers saw the discount kick in and went for it. They replied that they wouldn't delete the transmission at this time.
    Checked in with newgmengines, he replied that at one time he had 185 of them going for $2500 ea but they are all gone. Yup, agreed on that last part, gotta determine if the heads/etc are any good...Didn't realize the intake manifold could've received damage
    Promar has responded that they can't help without a good core.
    Powertrain Products has also responded with a no go.[COLOR="Silver"]

----------

LS6Steve is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Similar happened to me; but I cracked a piston at 70K and engine was toast.

Being in CA, I didn't have many options for a power rebuild, so I ended up going with a Jasper rebuild. They will remanufacture your LS6 with your core, and warranty it for 100k. You can upgrade parts too if you want. They did a great job on mine, motor is perfect now. It was just over $5k.

Since you're in a state with nicer smog laws, may as well find a local builder and have some fun. I wish I could have.

robojesus is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): of

TERP V, an iron block 408.

Quote Originally Posted by TERP V View Post
    Didn't realize the intake manifold could've received damage
    Mine had a lot of shrapnel in it, but then my engine failed at about 6300rpm, so there was quite a bit of energy to throw bits and pieces everywhere. Depending on what happened, you may find yours is fine.

Here's the full story on my engine failure and subsequent replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by LS6Steve View Post
    They will remanufacture your LS6 with your core, and warranty it for 100k. You can upgrade parts too if you want.
    Still waiting to hear back from them, but I don't think they'll want my core...

Quote Originally Posted by robojesus View Post
    TERP V, an iron block 408.
    Oh ok, is that a common upgrade? Sounds like your happy with it, any Pro's/Con's to share?

Mine had a lot of shrapnel in it, but then my engine failed at about 6300rpm, so there was quite a bit of energy to throw bits and pieces everywhere. Depending on what happened, you may find yours is fine.

Here's the full story on my engine failure and subsequent replacement.
    Wow, that was quite a project, good for you! Great pictures, I'll be sure to get some when I get mine torn apart. So I guess they figured the tune out when you finally got the car back. Ever get that radiator on?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.