Question for the Cadillac Techs on this page...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Question for the Cadillac Techs on this page... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; OK So... I have a Pinion Seal Leak on my '05. I hear there was a recall... my dealer says ...
    CoolMomMobile is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Redline

Question for the Cadillac Techs on this page...

OK So... I have a Pinion Seal Leak on my '05. I hear there was a recall... my dealer says that I am not part of the recall group. I feel like my dealer isn't giving me all the info I need. So my question is this... If my car had the recall work done on it prior to my owning it, is there anyway for ANY Cadillac dealer, regardless of it being the dealership the work was done at, to see if the recall work was done on my car in the past?

I understand that there are 2 different pinion seals for my car, sounds like one is for the recall, and one is for subsequent repairs? Also based on a casting number on my differential? The dudes at my dealership are not giving me enough information, maybe they don't think I am going to understand what they are talking about. (they also don't deal with V's very often, so they may not know!) Well I do understand and I wish someone would enlighten me. Can you help me pin down which one I need? Yes, I understand that I can order both parts and return one, but my dealer is going to charge me a 35% restocking fee because they do not normally carry them in their inventory.

Also, can I order the part from your dealership? and what is it going to cost to ship?

I really appreciate any help I can get on this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

izcain is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 V

Re: Question for the Cadillac Techs on this page...

You can contact Cadillac customer service and they can tell you based off of the vin if you fall under the recall. Any dealership should be able to provide you with some details of which recalls, service work, ect. was performed at the dealer. Ones around here are a pain in the you know what to talk with though since they rarely know what they are doing, at least in this area.

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk
    In my understanding, any dealer should be able to print out the entire warranty service history given the VIN.

When I was shopping for a V I had my service writer run maybe 3-4 VINs that I was serious about and it helped me choose which one I bought.

Quote Originally Posted by izcain View Post
    Any dealership should be able to provide you with some details of which recalls, service work, ect. was performed at the dealer.
    Work done @ any dealership, or only at their dealership? I bought my car in Seattle, it grew up in Cali, and I live in CT. lol

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by CoolMomMobile View Post
    Work done @ any dealership, or only at their dealership? I bought my car in Seattle, it grew up in Cali, and I live in CT. lol
    The GM VIN data base is national, not local.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

any warranty work done on a vehicle will show up in the GM warranty system that any dealer can easily pull up with a VIN
    i do it regularly for people looking for info on the car they just bought or are about to buy

and yes you can purchase parts from us (read my forum signature below my posts )
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

My '05 had the same issue. I just bought a pinion seal from Luke and had a shop pop it in (since I didn't want to screw it up). Cost was minimal.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by CoolMomMobile View Post
    OK So... I have a Pinion Seal Leak on my '05. I hear there was a recall... my dealer says that I am not part of the recall group. I feel like my dealer isn't giving me all the info I need. So my question is this... If my car had the recall work done on it prior to my owning it, is there anyway for ANY Cadillac dealer, regardless of it being the dealership the work was done at, to see if the recall work was done on my car in the past?

I understand that there are 2 different pinion seals for my car, sounds like one is for the recall, and one is for subsequent repairs? Also based on a casting number on my differential? The dudes at my dealership are not giving me enough information, maybe they don't think I am going to understand what they are talking about. (they also don't deal with V's very often, so they may not know!) Well I do understand and I wish someone would enlighten me. Can you help me pin down which one I need? Yes, I understand that I can order both parts and return one, but my dealer is going to charge me a 35% restocking fee because they do not normally carry them in their inventory.

Also, can I order the part from your dealership? and what is it going to cost to ship?

I really appreciate any help I can get on this.
    Hello CoolMomMobile,

If you private message me your contact information and VIN I am happy to help answer your questions. Please let me know if you have any other concerns as well.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

YAY! I love the car community and how we all take care of one another. I just called Chris at Rippy and my new pinion seal is on it's way home. Thanks guys for helping me out through this process. Will probably be asking more questions once it's time to install the seal.

----------

(I even saved a few Bucks! Thanks Chris! )

i found the bulletin that deals with all the cars that had this pinion seal problem
    it has a picture where to look for the casting number
    i'll put in the box with the parts for you

the recall apparently only was for 2005-2007 but all the way back to 2003 had this issue and the bulletin was the original reference for technicians to find a fix for this issue
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

GDPossehl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V

So what are the part numbers for this seal? Mine is leaking too and needs to be replaced.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by GDPossehl View Post
    So what are the part numbers for this seal? Mine is leaking too and needs to be replaced.
    The recall TSB lists part number 19179934 Seal Kit for CTS-Vs (and STS-Vs).

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    The recall TSB lists part number 19179934 Seal Kit for CTS-Vs (and STS-Vs).
    this is correct

----------

however, if your car does not fall under the recall there's a good chance that you've got a second design pinion assembly and you can replace just the seal

you can tell by the number stamped on the diff pinion gear housing - 6457038590 signifies second design that can use pinion seal #25861283

GDPossehl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V

My diff was last replaced by a dealer in 2009, so I'm assuming I have the latest.

sometimes not a good idea to assume ... check for the stamped # I provided

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.