Resale value of rebuilt trans?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Nate37AZ
  • 2 Post By RyRidesMotoX
  • 2 Post By robojesus
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Resale value of rebuilt trans? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So it's about time to rebuild the trans in the V, as the input shaft bearing appears to be bad. ...
    Nate37AZ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Currently Caddy-less

Resale value of rebuilt trans?

So it's about time to rebuild the trans in the V, as the input shaft bearing appears to be bad. In addition, the flywheel has gone bad in the last year, so I would replace the clutch and flywheel at the same time. All in, I'm looking at about $3k for the rebuild ($1500 for rebuilt Tick unit, $600 for LS7 clutch/flywheel, $600 labor, $300 misc parts like remote bleeder). I don't plan to mod this car heavily or track it, so I figure the Tick rebuild is good enough.

The other route I've considered is selling the car in a year or so and maybe upgrading to a V2 (or some sort of tow rig for my track car). So the question is, how much will I help out the resale value of the car by rebuilding the trans? I doubt I would see the full $3k in resale, but would it be $1500? $2k? Or to put it another way, what's the car worth now as it sits? It's a 2005 with 106k, in excellent condition save for the trans.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

alradco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Resale value of rebuilt trans?

Trying to sell the car with a bad trans is going to beat down the price quite a bit and limit your market, imo. Having documentation that the car has year old trans should be very helpful and I would think would bring you at least $2k more when selling the car.

That's kind of what I thought. The car sounds bad right now, even though it runs fine and is totally driveable... but no one wants to buy a car that needs a rebuild, unless they get a killer deal on it.
    alradco and alradco like this.

izcain is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 V

Quote Originally Posted by Nate37AZ View Post
    That's kind of what I thought. The car sounds bad right now, even though it runs fine and is totally driveable... but no one wants to buy a car that needs a rebuild, unless they get a killer deal on it.
    Exactly man, Buying a car then immediately dumping another 3k plus in addition to the purchase right off the bat might be a hard pill for a lot of people to swallow unless they get a screamin deal on the car.

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    You may not see resale value go up over another used V, but you don't want to take a $2-3k hit on the car without a new trans.
    rand49er and rand49er like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RyRidesMotoX View Post
    You may not see resale value go up over another used V, but you don't want to take a $2-3k hit on the car without a new trans.
    Yeah that makes sense. Well thanks for the help guys! I will probably pull the trigger on the clutch/flywheel kit in the next couple of days. Can't wait to see how much better this thing drives with a new tranny, it has been this way since right after I bought it...

robojesus is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): of

why pay tick? call around to a few local trans shops. they may be able to replace that bearing fairly cheaper, and if you plan on selling, no need for overkill, IMO.
    Andringa and Andringa like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.