New guy saying hi - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, New guy saying hi in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by D3l7a3ch0 Hah no, I had no idea. I was sharing my thoughts to get you out of ...
    Famous556 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Platinum V

Re: New guy saying hi

Quote Originally Posted by D3l7a3ch0 View Post
    Hah no, I had no idea. I was sharing my thoughts to get you out of your shell, so to speak.

My aunt is an RN, and has been for the longest.

Did you put yourself through school? That's quite a bit of drive. I met with my counselor this afternoon and we hammered out 6 semesters of classes I need to transfer (mechanical engineering). So. I can relate. Even more so as the semesters go by.

What type of institution did you study at? The annual training requirement struck me as... a major task. Lucky for me, they're handled consistently in the army as part of training. Another reason I'm surprised the pay isn't better--it's a lot of ongoing education.

(Imo introduction threads are out of bounds for trolling... And at least a couple more weeks outside this thread. Splash damage is still possible, though)
    Put myself through medic school when I was 18-20. I studied at a community college and the coursework was a little over a year. Two 8 hour lecture days a week and at least two 12 hour clinical/ride along times each week... (nursing school is less than half of this each week) It was like having a full time job. I already had my EMT through the local volunteer fire department that I joined right out of high school. I went straight to medic school after getting my EMT license.

The best thing about national registry is that they allow you to challenge the written test at the paramedic level... that is, you do not have to do any continuing education if you can still pass the written test and prove your competency that way. This is really nice to avoid having to document a lot of hours doing continuing education. Of course both the fire department I volunteer with and the company I work for have a plethora of con ed, but it's hard to fit it into the mandatory categories to satisfy national registry as I'm sure you've found. My Nebraska license has automatic reciprocity with National Registry so as long as I keep NR happy then the state is happy too. Work makes me keep active certifications in advanced cardiovascular life support, pediatric advanced life support, and a pre-hospital trauma life support cert so those are difficult to juggle when they all expire at different times.

I've worked full time through nursing school and it's been real rough, but I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I decided to get an associates degree in nursing because I have a lot of gen ed credits at the state university that will be accepted by any institution when I go on to get my bachelor's degree. Since I have most of the gen eds out of the way, I should be able to attain my bachelors degree in about a year from now.

As far as paying for ongoing education luckily a lot of it is paid for by either my work or my volunteer department, so that part is nice. Most departments or agencies around here are more than happy to pay for any continuing education, so all it costs you is your time.

On a side note, I've noticed that there are quite a few engineers that own V1s. It could just be my imagination but it sure seems that way. Good for us as they help to fix what the factory should have done better with!

D3l7a3ch0 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Black-on-Black

Re: New guy saying hi

civilian EMT smelled like one of those jobs that leave you chewed up. I'm not sure
    there are any dues to pay in doing it, but maybe the real benefit of holding the meat
    grinder type jobs is realizing what isn't going to work in the future

before my stint as a medic, I was a mechanic (3 years Air Force, 2 years civilian),
    and I think the V1 is not only handsome and fast, it's also a good idea
    maintenance-wise. straightforward by the standards of any car.

as soon as this semester and my CAD class ends (or I get the chance and I feel
    like I understand machining standards well enough), I think I will have some items
    machined out for the V1...

as my physics and CAD classes progress, the parts I see in my head become clearer...
    these are basically the things I daydream about in class.

-shift linkage with roller bearings, fully adjustable for throw and length (I already
    found a local bearings distributor)
    -strut tower brace with integrated motor braces to alleviate some of the stress
    from the motor mounts
    -front bumper air splitter
    -track towing point
    underbody cover to
    -a hood with engine vacuum-activated vents that open at a stop and during
    braking, and maybe an intake scoop (that both stay stationary when the hood is
    opened, and would require modification of the stock hood, rather than replacement)
    -brake cooling ducts that make use of the fog light openings
    -spindles to handle V2 or 5-lug brake rotors and wheels
    -rear shock mounts that will accept more commonly-sized Bilsteins/conventional
    shocks (will probably stick out of the rear window mat, but I feel it would be
    worth it as long as it's machined nicely)...
    -rear shock mount braces

the spindle and rear shock adapters to liberate the V1 from the six-lug wheels
    and odd shocks

there's also a hydraulic sway system rolling around in my head. it's going to be
    sick. all the anti-roll you could want, adjusted by a pressure relief spring. no
    torsion on a sway bar or on the frame--as one side compresses, the other
    side will lift itself with excellent mechanical leverage against the control arm...

front and rear also linked to prevent rotation during braking and launch/acceleration...
    draws on some things I saw during my time as a diesel/construction equipment mechanic...
    basically, when you brake, the ass end won't lift, and when you launch, the nose stays down

//*no i'm not selling them. for the vital bits like the spindles I will leave the CAD files
    on some russian website and post about a cool link I found on the internet. take them
    down to a machine shop and have it made according to the bill of materials at your own risk

------------------------------------------

without the parts and maintenance support, V1 owners would be left on their own.
    (and bound to restrictive/expensive parts such as odd shock dimensions and six-lug)

but this car is worth keeping alive, I think.

I think everything in the middle of the dash needs an update, as well.

...GOT ANY PLANS FOR THE V?

//update: 4/25 it seems I've chased you off.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.