Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Anyone who installed the Goodridge Stainless Brake Lines ?? also help from Katie ??

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  SevillianSTS 
#1 ·
First thing... I'd recommend anyone with stock lines to get them changed.
There is a recall on the standard CTS but it excludes the V. I've been on the phone directly with Cadillac and they are of no help. So since I took mine off... what do you know... corroded just like the lines on the standard CTS.

Really frustrates me and I'd appreciate some assistance from GM on this. "Katie" can you help here ?
Replacement stock lines are $39.54 EACH, plus the recall shows for 1.2 hours of labor.
I'd appreciate some compensation for the replacements I purchased.
"They told me to call back if I experienced any problems with my brake lines" Ya, ok... will do right after I rear end someone...

[/URL]

Car was three years old when I got it, and I have only driven it in the summer since I've owned it.

Anyways...

Installing the Goodridge. All the connectors attaching the stainless lines to the hard-lines on the car used a 18mm wrench; except for the passenger rear that goes from the caliper to the hard-line. It required a 19mm wrench. I've got all the lines on now except for this one. I tried twice and so did my brother, it looks like it is the correct connection, but it is very difficult to get started, and once you do it'll only go maybe one turn then it stops. I have since reinstalled the stock line with no problem.

Do you guys think they put the wrong connector on this one line, or do all kits come with this one being 19mm ?

[/URL]

[/URL]

See less See more
#2 ·
The right rear is a PITA.

It is not the Goodridge fitting (usually).

The OEM fitting has a tapered hole where the Goodridge is not.

The Goodridge is stainless, so you need to run a thread chaser (die) on the mate as just a slight thread misalignment will not allow a proper mating.

You can fight it all day long and you will still need to chase the thread.

#4 ·
I had the pleasure of having both of my front brake lines burst on my 03 CTS due to corrosion. When it was in the shop for the first one I insisted they check the other lines to make sure they were in good shape and they assured me they were fine. A week after I got the car back I was on vacation when the other one went. Of course it was late on a friday, and I was supposed to drive 600 miles home the next day, and the local shop didn't have any in stock nor were they open on the weekend. My boss was not happy. I was not happy. I think I may have melted the phone lines with my multiple profanity-laced calls to the shop that fixed the first line and failed to notice the state of the second line. I NEVER went back to that shop and apparently I wasn't the only one because they lost their Cadillac franchise when GM restructured. When the second line burst I actually contemplated purposely crashing the car just so I could sue the shit out of the first shop. The first thing I did when I got my V was to ask about corrosion on the brake lines and I was assured that it was not an issue. Still after finding out they're exactly the same part as on my 03 CTS I went ahead and bought the Goodridge lines, but I've never gotten around to installing them. I'll watch this thread and be sure to install them soon as I drive my car year-round so if thats what "summer driving only" brake lines look like, I'm sure mine are about to crumble.

#6 ·
Went to Auto Zone... that place is getting as bad as walmart.

I have confirmed that the goodridge line I am having trouble with is 3/8 -24 I noticed that it looks very close to 10mm x1.00... which turns in maybe one turn this stops.

Aren't all fasteners on cars metric ??

#7 · (Edited)
Here is what I went through.

By the way, Goodridge is right down the street from where I live.

What happened is this:

The fitting (explained by GOODRIDGE ) has a better entry way (non taper) and their fitting is made of better material then the OEM, so any distortion of the threads on the mate will bind on the GOODRIDGE.

Sure as hell did!

I do not force anything, and I read that three other people had the same problem with the same hose from GOODRIDGE and it was replaced.

What GOODRIDGE told me to do was to "chase" the threads on the mate with a 3/8 24 fine die.

They demonstrated to me that the threads were correct with the fitting, so the problem was with the hard line end.

However, the hard line end had no problem mating up with the OEM (no binding either).

I chased the threads with a die and BINGO, bolted right up.

Mod Hell strikes again.

I know it doesn't sound right, but chase the hard line end with a die (that in itself is a PITA) and I bet it mates up.

#8 ·
#10 ·
Ok, finally got it. I bought a 13.99 die set from harbor freight, but I didn't have any luck getting that on the fitting. So I got a brass 3/8-24 nut and used the drill to force it on, then I ran a hardened nut on and off. The new line then went on with just slight struggles.
Thanks for the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.