First time Caddilac owner, trying to get an idea of the best modification path.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, First time Caddilac owner, trying to get an idea of the best modification path. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I've been reading stickies and seeing what other people are doing, but I was just curious if you all had ...
    Knuckleduster is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

I've been reading stickies and seeing what other people are doing, but I was just curious if you all had advice on how to move forward. The car is a 2005 with just over 50k miles, and I love it so far. That said, I've heard that it can be much better with a little help. As it stands, I'm interested in upgrading the exhaust, shifter, and getting some form of iPod integration rolling. For the exhaust, I want to still be able to pass smog, so will I be safe with the Magnaflow? For the shifter, I'm leaning towards B&M, though I'm having trouble finding anywhere that has it in stock. From other posts I've seen, I should also start saving up to get new motor mounts, differential bushings, and the LS7 clutch and flywheel. I'm not looking to turn this into a supercar by any means, I just would like to give it a little boost. Have I missed anything, and I assume the vendors here are my best bet for finding the parts I need?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

Re: First time Caddilac owner, trying to get an idea of the best modification path.

Greetings!

Sift through the performance section...a lot of good info there!

1. Shifter: You could always try the shifter from PISNUOFF - Many happy customers.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post3244470

2. IPOD: As for ipod integration search this part no. PODGMXMV215 - iCarKits.com sells them, I have this and enjoy it.
    3. Clutch+flywheel: research it first, you have 50k miles, seems early for a clutch replacement. Heard many good things about the McLeod clutch. The Monster stage 3 has reported a lot of chatter at high rpm/gears - some are happy, many are not with the Monster stage 3. Lindsey Cadillac provides many OEM parts and kits such as the LS7 clutch replacement if that is the route you definitely want to take.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-c...ic-clutch.html
    4. Motor Mounts, transmission mount, bushings etc. - check out Revshift and also Creative Steel. Both make good products and I believe Revshift has been the popular choice as of late - I use them and made world of difference!
    5. Exhaust - Corsa has been a popular choice for a little added growl if you just want a cat-back and fitment is perfect from what I hear. If you want more performance B&B and Stainless Works makes a 3" full exhaust system complete with headers etc.

Enjoy!

mackey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Black

ipod/phone integration you can also get a USASPEC PA15-vette module. the caveat being it currently is for the older 30pin plug not the new(er) lightning. it plugs into your XM receiver and takes up a channel (you have 2). or if you want to really change it, you can istall another head unit and get all the "modern" bells and whistles (BT, MP3, Wifi, etc). you lose DIC unless you get a stock CTS unit and have it reprogrammed.

i have a katech shifter and while a quality part, i'd rather have gone the PISNUOFF modified stock shifter route. the katech has an odd thread pattern that 99% of shift knob mfr don't use.

rand49er is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Re: First time Caddilac owner, trying to get an idea of the best modification path.

I wouldn't worry about the clutch and bushings until you have symptoms ... for cryin' out loud, you've only got 50k on it!

As far as exhaust, go for the Magnaflow. Relatively inexpensive, nice sound, and won't affect your "smog" test since it's all downstream of the catalytic converter.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

P-Funk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 Raven CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the clutch and bushings until you have symptoms ... for cryin' out loud, you've only got 50k on it!

As far as exhaust, go for the Magnaflow. Relatively inexpensive, nice sound, and won't affect your "smog" test since it's all downstream of the catalytic converter.

Okay, the only issue I've noticed is a bit of chatter/shaking when going from 1-2 and 2-3 if I keep the revs low. Thanks for those suggestions on iPod adapters, I was having trouble finding one on my own. Glad to hear the magnaflow won't interfere with my smog test, and it even ships free 2nd day on amazon since I have prime. I'll look into that shifter, too. I'm not terrible mechanically adept, but that sounds like an interesting choice since I can't find the B&M in stock anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckleduster View Post
    Okay, the only issue I've noticed is a bit of chatter/shaking when going from 1-2 and 2-3 if I keep the revs low ...
    It shouldn't do that. Where do you live? Are there any V owners near you that can check it out?
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Disagree with rand49er. The stock clutch and shifter are the worst part of the car. My recommended order of operations:

Clutch and short shifter come first, along with all of the linkage mods. There's your first $1000.

Bushings and motor mounts come second. 80A Revshift motor mounts and transmission insert, 95A everything else.

Ground Control (if you're on a budget, otherwise KW V3) coilovers and Addco or Hotchkis sway bars come third. That's your second $1,000.

Somewhere in there, you'll want to fit in a PA15-VETTE if you have an iOS device, and a lesson on how to spell "Cadillac."

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    Disagree with rand49er. The stock clutch and shifter are the worst part of the car ...
    The shifter for sure. I've always said, the best mod I've ever done is the shifter. However, the clutch doesn't need to be replaced if he's running stock motor especially if the OP doesn't want to turn it into a "supercar" ... unless the "chatter/shaking" he's talking about is attributable to it. (Notice I'm not talking about the FW which is an unfortunate part of the stock drivetrain.) If the OP has a boatload of money, that would change my mind, though.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    Disagree with rand49er. The stock clutch and shifter are the worst part of the car. My recommended order of operations:

Clutch and short shifter come first, along with all of the linkage mods. There's your first $1000.

Bushings and motor mounts come second. 80A Revshift motor mounts and transmission insert, 95A everything else.

Ground Control (if you're on a budget, otherwise KW V3) coilovers and Addco or Hotchkis sway bars come third. That's your second $1,000.

Somewhere in there, you'll want to fit in a PA15-VETTE if you have an iOS device, and a lesson on how to spell "Cadillac."
    Dammit. I know how to spell it now, but I managed to teach my autocorrect the wrong way and didn't even notice it. I'll save up for a month or so and see if I can get a couple of things taken care of at once. I think I'll also have to replace the right rear TPM, it's fine about 95% of the time, but it freaks out at random times with crazy readings.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Stock clutch is fine...

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Stock clutch is fine...
    Agreed. My stock clutch is still holding up at 88K. I plan to replace with an LS7 clutch when the current one goes, but I'm not going to throw money away to fix something that ain't broken.

Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR View Post
    Agreed. My stock clutch is still holding up at 88K. I plan to replace with an LS7 clutch when the current one goes, but I'm not going to throw money away to fix something that ain't broken.
    You can always buy my old LS7 clutch and Fidanza flywheel if you're on a budget. But the Fidanza might be a little light for your tastes--especially coming from the 52 lb boat anchor.

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

How different does it feel? Do you have to be more careful about rev-matching, etc? You almost don't have to rev-match with the stocker because the flywheel inertia keeps it spinning for so long after you depress the clutch.

I would buy that clutch from you if my job situation were more stable.

Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR View Post
    How different does it feel? Do you have to be more careful about rev-matching, etc? You almost don't have to rev-match with the stocker because the flywheel inertia keeps it spinning for so long after you depress the clutch.

I would buy that clutch from you if my job situation were more stable.
    Actually, you have to rev match more with a heavier clutch because halves of the drivetrain have more rotating inertia; thus, the synchros have to do more work to equalize their speeds.

The hard part about having a lightweight flywheel is learning how to not stall the car from a start. The super heavy flywheel makes it easy to get the car off the line, but once you're rolling, it holds you back. For what it's worth, the McLeod RXT that I upgraded to (it's sitting right here...waiting for finals week to be over) has about 50% less rotating mass than the LS7/Fidanza. And the LS3 water pump I bought has a couple of pounds less mass in the pulley. So I'm obviously not having any qualms about reducing rotating mass further.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.