Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2005 CTS-V, im loooooving it (California) long post

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  D3l7a3ch0 
#1 ·
Sup Cadillac forums...

Been lurking since i got my car and finally decided to register.

Purchased a 2005 CTS-V a few years ago. Currently @ 72,000 miles. Car runs like a CHAMP! Love the power and the handling. Once i can afford the 2009 2nd generation model i will be looking for a used one :) . I dont redline push the car at the line but i dont baby it either. I do push it a bit but nothing close to the red line.. mainly to enjoy the power of the car. Think im usually floating around 4kRPMS when i want some power. I did notice the computer registers the best mileage if im running 35mph on 5th or 6th gear on a flat straight away. Sure the car eats up gas but thats just the sacrifice for some fun. Everytime i drive the car its a fun ride. I would LOVE to drive it everyday to work but in order to avoid paying for gas, lowering wear and tear costs, and keeping the mileage low i take the bus to work usually 4 out of 5 days a week. Otherwise i probably would have added another 18k miles on the car by now.

Things that are bugging me is the squeek from the front of the console... bugs the %$&$*^# out of me.. but luckly i like to listen to the radio loud. i need to get that worked out. I would like to upgrade my lights to LED outside of the car... i kinda like how the normal lights inside dont brighten up the car. I have the brown interior so with the lights it doesnt look to bright but rather soft to the eyes. My navigation crapped out.. it wont read the Disc :(. the DVD reader isnt working because it wont even read other movies.

Maintenance wise.. i learned a lesson to take the car to people who not only know how to work on it.. but have the right tools. I took the car to get my starter changed and the guy stripped a screw while putting it back. He had charged me about 40 bucks for jobs such as brakes and a couple other things but after the stripped screw i wont take it to anyone that doesnt use torque wrenches. i had to take it to the dealer, pay for the stripped screw, buy their starter, and battery. The problem wasnt even the starter.. AutoZone/O'reileys sold me a bad battery which prompted me to change the starter next. anyways lessoned learned.. maybe dealerships are the way to go unless i know an authorized mechanic. I have had a check engine light that comes and goes.. but doesnt stay on over night. I havent seen it on in about a month. Im guessing it may be a O2 sensor. My buddy put in a code reader but his only works if the light is on at the moment or something like that.. so i havnet been able to catch it. Done the normal brake jobs and tire changes(man this car loves to eat rubber and brakes). I dont know any good priced mechanics so i would have to go to the dealership but if anyone knows one in the San Jose area.. hit me up. I also busted the rear-something on the right that turns the wheel?(sorry car noob here) i was slowing down on a right and i hit it.. and then i heard a snap. Whatever it was they installed a new part that was reinforced. Guess it was something that may have been expected?

I have a buddy who use to work at a Chevy dealership and i told him i wanted to take the car in for the tune ups and he said they arent really needed and that i would be blowing my money since these cars are built well for a long time. He said if anything save it for the 90k tune up, by that time it should need it. What does cadillac forums say about that???

Wish it had blue tooth and or an aux input :( thats about all.

My gf drives the car and says guys ask her about the car.. she just says "eh.. i just drive it".. she drives it pretty easy.

after this wall of text about my car.. think im gonna spend some one on one time today and spend some time washing it and babying it.

See less See more
#2 ·
awesome!

I followed the aux input tutorial, I love it.

I let my sister drive the V while I was in Iraq, until it developed some issues with the clutch slave cylinder (and a forum member swung by and took a look at the car for me)

ummmm I'm not familiar with anything in san jose.

Yesterday, I took the V to a master lube with 6 quarts of 5W-30 Mobil 1 and a filter, which I kept putting off, and it was $30 for an oil change. worth it, did it between classes

#8 ·
I followed the aux input tutorial, I love it.

Yesterday, I took the V to a master lube with 6 quarts of 5W-30 Mobil 1 and a filter, which I kept putting off, and it was $30 for an oil change. worth it, did it between classes
I want to follow the tutorial.. but i just dont want to break off one of the tabs during the removal of the panel. So im kinda thinking.. well it works.. why break it by accident.. which would then piss me off even more.. hmm decisions decisions... i may have to do it some weekend. I have probably keep listening to the same 6 CD's over.. and over.. and over.

I take my car for oil changes to walmart.. because its just easier and about the same cost to do it myself. Once i ended up spending more to get the oil change myself than just taking it to walmart. Plus the oil percentage meter really helps cut that cost :)

Well, I took my car to St Claire Cadillac a couple times & was treated quite well; for a non-dealership option, I have had good experiences with Keystone Auto, the owner's name is Deckard. For performance/upgrade type of work, I recently had a good experience with TPS Motorsports in Campbell, talk to Jason.
Glad to see another SJ V owner!
The car was purchased at St Claire.. still has that dealer plate around the licence plate. Need to get rid of that and put my sports team info on that. i want to put something on the car from NFL but i dont want to throw off the look so i may have to just get a custom enslavement. Keeping it clean.

I doubt you need a tune up at 72k miles. Wait till 100k if it feels like you need one even then.

Did you try spraying a bit of silicone into the likely spot where the squeak seems to be?
Great! thanks fro the 100k tip :)

I havent tried spraying silicone into the area. I can make the squeek stop if i put pressure underneath the bottom of the smokers ash catcher. If i close it.. and i slip my fingers under neath the console and the plastic that surrounds the shifter.. where it meets up to the bottom of the ash catcher.. if i push up towards the emergency lights button it will stay quiet.. as soon as i realease.. SQUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!! :( I was thinking of finding some rubber feet and stuffing a few down there and shaving them off as i need to make them fit.

I recommend DJ's performance (near Capitol auto mall) for a mechanic. Anything I don't want to do my self i take my V there.
I will keep this in mind.

#3 ·
Well, I took my car to St Claire Cadillac a couple times & was treated quite well; for a non-dealership option, I have had good experiences with Keystone Auto, the owner's name is Deckard. For performance/upgrade type of work, I recently had a good experience with TPS Motorsports in Campbell, talk to Jason.
Glad to see another SJ V owner!

#5 ·
I recommend DJ's performance (near Capitol auto mall) for a mechanic. Anything I don't want to do my self i take my V there.

#10 ·
Mobile 1 Oil has went down the tubes. The Zinc has went by the wayside in that oil. Unless you have 6 qts on the shelf from years past I would go for something else, there are others out now that are much better suited for the engine.

But if you are looking for a cheaper synthetic I guess that will work.

#13 ·
News to me, I know many who use this on the track with no issues - with LS engines. A follow up with an oil analysis and oil filter inspection after the races doesn't show it's promoting any damage at all. Use it with turbo and SC LS engines (and of course NA) and F20/F22 Honda force injected engines with excellent results.

#12 ·
Lets see pics of the new ride!

On a separate note I run German castrol 0w30. I used to run amsoil before.

#14 ·
a good example of the usefulness of the forums, which is why you should...

(get a paid membership!)

I have an open dispute with Paypal, so they intercept any transactions I make... I think I will have one of my housemates help me with their Paypal...

my membership expired on the 10th :-/

I've gone with the basic annual membership since very soon after getting the V

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.