Another Nav problem Thread.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Another Nav problem Thread. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So I've searched the forum and I've found people with similar problems but not the exact problem, so I'm unsure ...
    ImEpayne is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac CTS-V

Another Nav problem Thread.

So I've searched the forum and I've found people with similar problems but not the exact problem, so I'm unsure how to go about the fix.

I have an '06 V with Nav that has the DVD logo. When I load the Nav disc it prompts me to choose a language at the warning screen or what not. I click accept and this is where it freezes. Only once has it began to load the map, which was just glitchy squares not resembling a map.

Also, I can watch DVD's just fine and it actually reads scratched DVD's pretty well.

So after surfing the forum board, I am unsure if this is firmware issue, a Nav CD issue. Ontop of that I've seen threads of certain places to buy newer CD's, who to contact, what version to get...

Information overload and not sure which way to go.

Thanks,
    Eric

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

silentwig is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Re: Another Nav problem Thread.

I had the exact same problem. The radio is finicky with the map dvd. Even though the disc looks clean, mist it with cd/dvd cleaner and wipe it dry with those fine fiber cloths the the ones that come with sunglasses or phone case kits. It should work after that.

And yeah, I tried the old dvd video method and it worked fine, but the map dvd didnt work till i cleaned it as explained above.

Thank you! Will try that today.

mike6466 is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 cts v
    Mike won't read my nav disc or DVDs. One day it all just froze and never worked again. I would hate to spend all that money to find out I could have fixed it myself or have someone fix it cheaper.

Any suggestions

D3l7a3ch0 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Black-on-Black

I wonder if the drive can be modded to accept a disc ISO on a USB.

sorry, just thinking out loud.

I'll ask the housemates this afternoon. they should know pretty quickly if
    there is any compatibility that would allow this.

I'm just thinking, maybe there's a USB reader that will go into a SATA or
    PATA connector, which optical drives most commonly are.

...and have nothing but the disc contents on the USB.

(USB storage capacities weren't big enough for this to be viable even
    through 2006 when the last V1s were sold...)

if the optical drive is anything relatively "off-the-shelf," there's a chance this
    just might potato.

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Sometimes the drive just coughs and pukes.

I might have an extra DVD drive.

The drive connectors (thanks Delco for nothing) are not standard.

I haven't tried using disc cleaner yet. It's surprisingly hard to get CD cleaner nowadays... Office Max told me to try GameStop (some videogame store). Will update once I try that.

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetals View Post
    Sometimes the drive just coughs and pukes.

I might have an extra DVD drive.

The drive connectors (thanks Delco for nothing) are not standard.
    according to my roommate:

2 options for updating or replacing the optical drive:

replace the internals with a new laser (most likely source of problems in an optical drive)

-or- (and I would love for this to work)

use a SATA to IDE/PATA adapter and use an SSD (or regular hard drive *yuck*).

it would require a converter/adapter from SSD to whatever connector the optical drive uses, hopefully IDE... but

is there any chance it is this or something like this (slim cd connector, there is also a slightly larger version):

larger version:

adapted to IDE via:

(but the other way around->SATA to IDE to Slim CD)

if it is, then the last obstacle is whether the NAV disc is not encrypted and has regular folders if you put it into your computer DVD drive (does it display a normal-looking/regular file tree)

I already have an iso (somewhere on one of my hard drives) and the nav disc (somewhere else but I can't remember where, exactly)

//////if this works then everyone owes me a dollar

Destram is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

When I bought my car a couple months ago, it didn't come with a nav DVD, so I ordered a version 6.0 off eBay (I don't know what the newest version is. That's all I saw on eBay). When I received it, I had the exact same problem you're having. The screen was glitchy when it actually did stop freezing after you select the language. I sent it back for a refund and ordered another one exactly like it from a different seller on eBay, and it's worked fine from the beginning. Maybe you just have a bad disc and it isn't the unit after all. Just a thought.

D3l7a3ch0 I'm afraid I have no idea what any of that means? Are you talking about being able to burn the nav info onto a disc? I'm sorry... all those acronyms...

Destram Good to know. So is the 6.0 pretty well updated and how much did you end up spending for one on the Bay.
    D3l7a3ch0 and D3l7a3ch0 like this.

put the contents of the nav disc (and nothing but the nav disc) on a laptop hard drive (known as Solid State or SSD)

and then with the use of adapters, plug everything in at the connector the DVD used

the head unit will not know the difference. point of failure removed (also faster read times)
    ImEpayne and ImEpayne like this.

Destram is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by ImEpayne View Post
    D3l7a3ch0 I'm afraid I have no idea what any of that means? Are you talking about being able to burn the nav info onto a disc? I'm sorry... all those acronyms...

Destram Good to know. So is the 6.0 pretty well updated and how much did you end up spending for one on the Bay.
    Sorry for the late reply. I'm not sure how updated 6.0 is. I've run into a couple problems where it took me to places that didn't exist in that location anymore, but I've also had it take me right where I wanted it to. I think I ended up paying ~$160 for the 6.0 disc on eBay. If you find out your disc is the problem, you can get one on eBay, or if you want to make sure you get the most up to date disc, I know they're $300 at the dealership (at least that's how much they are at my dealership).

if the hard drive thing works, you can download the ISO and load the contents of the disc onto the drive (and do it that way)

I really need to just open it up again, especially since I can't find a picture of the cts dvd drive

//apparently the nav disc uses non-encrypted root directory. the hard drive can be made to do this as well
    http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...-structure.pdf

*for near-future reference

If whatever you are talking about works. And it's easy. Count me in.
    D3l7a3ch0 and D3l7a3ch0 like this.

yeah, if it works at all it will work very simply.

Quote Originally Posted by ImEpayne View Post
    If whatever you are talking about works. And it's easy. Count me in.
    hey, are you willing to open up your nav unit and replace the DVD drive? if you feel comfortable doing that, we could swap out 1:1, or you could send me yours so I can change out the laser and send it back to you.

that's not a promise *yet* ...I'm just throwing an idea out there. to see what people are comfortable with.

I don't use my nav, so I'm thinking I could just... use mine as an extra core and continuously swap out drives I receive with one that has a new laser.

I ... hereby commit to pull my nav center out tomorrow. and also try the hard drive thing (or see what the situation is, inside the tin case of the nav unit

there's a chance the dvd drive uses a ribbon rather than a conventional cable,

bleh yeah lemme know

//4PM pacific, radio is pulled. working on it at my desk now. I will keep this thread poasted.

//5PM: welp, there is one ribbon that goes to the laser, and another ribbon that goes to the motor--that was expected

but there are two ribbons going from the drive to the rest of the nav circuit board, and I need to ask my roommates and the internet (lol) how they're different from older optical drives

these are the screws, (not too scary) and I've highlighted the assembly that houses the laser. I'm pretty sure the laser can be replaced after opening the highlighted body, but I want to check with my roommates before doing it.

the metal housing of the nav unit comes apart without bending anything permanently... there are small metal and plastic tabs that hold it all together. (zero commitment)

see ya tomorrow... my roommates don't get back til late tonight... there's some type of event in Santa Ana they are attending.

also: Conan O'Brien is hosting the Presidential Roast tonight, 9:45 Eastern

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.