Another Nav problem Thread. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Another Nav problem Thread. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; ok. so. 1: the laser can be changed. 2: I'm not keeping my DVD drive or 6-Disc changer 3: I'd ...
    D3l7a3ch0 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Black-on-Black

Re: Another Nav problem Thread.

ok. so.

1: the laser can be changed.
    2: I'm not keeping my DVD drive or 6-Disc changer
    3: I'd like to mount an iPad instead.

laser can be changed, so your nav system is easily repaired. if you want
    to send it to me, I can do it, but I could also get you some amazon part
    numbers and with a small socket-and-bit set from radio shack, you could
    do it yourself. not that difficult.

also: this is what I'm going to do:

I'm removing my 6-disc from the body of the radio, and I'm probably leaving
    the DVD drive out. I'd like to mount an Ipad in front of the
    radio, perhaps on a swivel, and use it instead. I'd like to hide the stock
    screen and buttons more thoroughly, but that's too much work for the
    aesthetics.

(there are still options for relocating the display and the climate controls
    to, say, the glove box or the arm rest. the core circuit board and screen
    are slim and compact, and would only require extending the wires of
    the connectors)

plus not only is the 6-disc unused, it's heavy. and high. I don't like it.

maybe it's my imagination, but the car feels better without the weight of
    the radio.

I think an iPad mount would be just fine.

something that mounts to the same four holes of the radio bracket bolts,
    and is slim enough to come out through the seam between the radio and
    dash would be good, I think.

I already have an iPad/iPhone connector rigged up to the power and audio.

with 3G internet, you can't beat an iOS device (iPhone/iPad) for a dash
    music/entertainment system. nav, even. Google maps currently (iirc) only
    has an iPhone turn-by-turn app, which can be installed on an iPad, but it
    will be viewed in 2x. Google has plans to release an iPad version of the
    Google maps app.

using an iPad is moving with the momentum of off-the-shelf technology
    with a -huge- market and R&D behind it (rather than reinventing the wheel)...

not only do I not have the skill to replace the stock interface with a fully
    functioning aftermarket one, I could not outdo an iPad (between my techie
    roommates and myself, we've got a good idea what's going on with the DVD
    drive, but I'll spare you the details).

and yeah, we discussed micro tower PCs with touch screens and Windows 8,
    but no matter how we cut it, an iPad is great at everything you'd want in a
    nav/head unit, and it's in a slim body with a touch screen.

bring the iPad in the house, sync it to more music and movies, and you could get a
    bluetooth OBDII reader with accompanying apps for readouts about your car
    such as this or this

///SO if you're stuck on keeping the stock nav, lemme know. there are still options.

if you'd like pictures of how to pull it apart, I can do a step by step picture
    guide. it's just screws and some ribbon connectors.

robojesus is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): of

delta, do you have autism or ADD? you just spew out this mindless dreck.

iOS devices are real washed up and played out. there are more cost effective products that are going to install and look better in this application, if you insist on using a tablet.

and no, Google Maps TBT navigation is NOT strictly for iOS (why the hell would google release something for their competitors product, but not their own?)

reading your posts makes me very tired.

I don't agree that iOS devices are played out, but if it's true they're washed up, what does that make the disc-based nav we have, hmm? I can't bear looking at the audio menu especially.

get the tablet of your choice, or don't change anything at all? I already have an iPad, so I'm just using what I already have.

and yes, I got myself diagnosed with ADD four weeks ago, and this is my first month on Adderall. it's amazing. I haven't been upset about a single thing. I've always thought I was pretty great, and now I'm even more focused.

robojesus, you tell me more about yourself than you know. you don't have to be head cashier at Wal Mart to know it's not healthy to be susceptible to things that are outside of your control.

but I understand, so I've updated my previous post with bullet points. I could've written the post with better flow, but ... *effort*

I'm sorry that reading something makes you feel that way.

------------------

I don't think I'm autistic, but I do sense a bit of schizophrenia

wouldn't it be funny if the housemates/roommates I speak of are really just me.

I value getting along with people, but I'm also used to people who despise my existence. In fact I can't think of anyone who celebrates ... me, but when I look past that, everything is excellent.

still, (believe it or not), I would rather not find myself in constant conflict with people.

------------------

it would be asking for too much, but still...

I wish I was a little bit taller

see, that's exactly what the problem is with you. you ramble and ramble and ramble. you remind me of an old ass man in a nursing home who finally gets a chance to talk to someone and rambles and rambles for hours about literally nothing.

if you have a problem with the built in nav, go get yourself a garmin, they're 1000 times better than the pathetic piece of shit that is in this car anyway.
    D3l7a3ch0 and D3l7a3ch0 like this.

I'm willing to be friends, you know.

SevillianSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by D3l7a3ch0 View Post
    I wonder if the drive can be modded to accept a disc ISO on a USB.

sorry, just thinking out loud.

I'll ask the housemates this afternoon. they should know pretty quickly if
    there is any compatibility that would allow this.

I'm just thinking, maybe there's a USB reader that will go into a SATA or
    PATA connector, which optical drives most commonly are.

...and have nothing but the disc contents on the USB.

(USB storage capacities weren't big enough for this to be viable even
    through 2006 when the last V1s were sold...)

if the optical drive is anything relatively "off-the-shelf," there's a chance this
    just might potato.
    I was thinking a while back it would be nice to load the DVD data onto a hard drive and then plug the hard drive in where the DVD drive goes. Should load significantly faster.

I thought so too, and that was my goal, but I can't make sense of the connectors without a pin-by-pin schematic.

since this was provided to GM as an assembly, I doubt even GM would have such a schematic.

my nav unit was made in 2004, and around that time IDE drives used 40-pin or 80-pin connectors; this nav unit has 60 pins, and there's no indication which pins are data or power

it's Panasonic, but none of the numbers on the circuit boards or the body of the DVD drive has produced results through Google.

I'm still confident a pin-by-pin adapter can be made, and allow the use of a solid state hard drive, but to go any further I need that schematic.

40-pin it could be that 16-20 of the pins are simply power, and it is a conventional 40- or 44-pin IDE with an unconventional layout to save materials (or something).

I'll send an email to these guys, and see what they will give me.

You would need an iso loader or software to extract and mount the iso file. The ssd is a decent concept and idea, but the bus converter and the pata connection would significantly narrow the bandwidth. That being said, you are able to get a 16gb ssd for around 20 bucks nowadays and seeing how a pc power supply is 12 volts, you should have no issues getting juice to it. It is not a great idea, but some fun can definitely be had deciphering this.

Delta, you seem like a decent man with good intentions, and I apologize for being less than patient with you. I will try harder from now on to be reasonable with you.
    D3l7a3ch0 and D3l7a3ch0 like this.

my first follow-up with my psych is this afternoon~ (refill!) just pretend I ride the short bus and lick windows *shrug*

I have the disc, and I thought I had the iso somewhere, but I might need to re-rip it (rip it good)

and yeah, it's stepping down the speed of the SSD considerably, but the fortunate thing is we're going from 2013 hardware down to 2004 hardware

ImEpayne is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac CTS-V

What?

you can replace the laser or the motor in your dvd drive--both are items that fail over time

if that's what you'd like to do, I can do a picture tutorial of the process, or you could send the drive to me

(side note: the dvd drives we have in our navigation units are of a heavier-duty variety than the dvd drives we have in our computers and home entertainment systems.)

I'm trying to replace the dvd drive with a hard drive that does not have moving parts. they're known as Solid State hard drives, or SSD.

I think there's still a chance there is a direct conversion from the ribbons in our nav units and an adapter to SSD. the next step is finding a schematic for the DVD drive, that shows which pins are which, in terms of 40-pin IDE.

I didn't get a reply from bigbytecorp via email; I will call them in the morning.

they're beefier so they're less susceptible to skipping or scratching discs over bumps.

yeah I think it's pretty neat--there's significant shock isolation and a lot of parts are metal (that are plastic in PC and home entertainment optical drives).

ImEpayne is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac CTS-V

As long as there isn't much wiring in replacing the lens I don't think I'll have any issue doing it. I am more interested right now in getting my V back into stock working order. So if you're bored enough to do a photo tutorial then have at it. but parts of what I need is more important to me.

Thanks for all the input and good job playing around with this sh*t Delta. that's cool that you can figure that kinda of stuff . ( I am rediculously computer illiterate)

H-town_V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 cts-v
    This thread makes my head hurt... Guess that's why I got outta the car audio game years ago(when it died).

If you want to retain factory SWC, DIC, and Bose compatibility but integrate an ipad or other tablet for audio and nav it's not that hard.

One easy option is to relocate the factory unit in the trunk...simply cut and extend all the factory wires from the radio to the trunk. Then use a iPod adapter and run that back to the dash.

Buy a standard dash kit for a cts(the kind for hooking up aftermarket radios) modify it to hold your tablet of choice and the job is finished.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.