Need help with a new rear end noise.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Need help with a new rear end noise. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I've had my 2004 V for 3+ years so I'm familiar with most of the driveline parade clunk discussions. Recently ...
    Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

Need help with a new rear end noise.

I've had my 2004 V for 3+ years so I'm familiar with most of the driveline parade clunk discussions. Recently I've gotten a new rear end clunk that I can't isolate.

-Bought in 2009 and it had it's fair share of clunks.
    -Put in Creative Steel motor mounts, trans mount, diff bushing and the car felt way better.
    -May 2012 I had the Trans output seal and Diff Pinion seal both replaced.
    -May 2012 I put in Spectre Werkes cradle bushings at about the same time as the seals getting fixed.

Everything was great for a while. The Spectre Werkes bushing inserts definitely transmit more noise, but no immediate unexpected noises.
    Over the next couple months the car developed a rather annoying clunk that sounds a lot like when my diff bushing was shot.
    It happens mostly while shifting, or use the engine to slow you down in gear and then get back on the throttle.
    Most easily reproducible @ 38mph in 3rd gear while lightly going on/off throttle.
    The other easy way to get it to make noise is to coast around 25mph with the clutch disengaged and then while in 2nd gear rev the engine up to about 3500-4000rpm and abruptly let the clutch out a bit. You don't have to fulling engage the clutch, just playing with it at the engagement point with repeatedly reproduce the noise.

-All suspension is tight, no vibrations or clunks from a vehicle dynamics standpoint.
    -Engine mounts look good.
    -Trans mount looks good.
    -The CS diff bushing has a bit of play but I can't believe that it is the source.
    -The driveshaft carrier bearing has a bit of movement, but is intact.
    -With 9 years and 79k miles I suppose that it could be the stock clutch and dual mass flywheel combo, but the clunk is definitely from the rear end and makes me think that is unlikely.

From my understanding, replacing the pinion seal involved backing off the pinion nut, replacing the seal and then reapplying and torquing the pinion nut. It is also my understanding that the torque on the pinion nut controls preload in the diff and if it comes loose it can allow slop in the diff. (I don't know if the terminology that I am using is correct, somebody let me know if I'm miss stating something.)

My best guess at the moment is that the pinion nut needs to be retorqued, but I'm looking for suggestions before I pay the shop to re-torque the pinion nut.

----------

Follow up question, has anyone ever had a clutch/flywheel caused noise that showed up all the way back at the rear end?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

Re: Need help with a new rear end noise.

Just shooting this out there. Swaybar bushing?

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by odla View Post
    Just shooting this out there. Swaybar bushing?
    I thought exactly the same thing.

I'm confused how swaybar bushings would come in to play with this type of straight line load?

I actually have a separate noise happening over bumps up front that I think may be shock or swaybar related.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Andringa View Post
    I'm confused how swaybar bushings would come in to play with this type of straight line load? ...
    Agreed. Unless the body is trying to lean as in cornering, there's no torque applied to the anti-sway bar. If the car pitches (front up, rear squats or vice versa as in throttling up and down as described), then the anti-sway bars rotate inside both bushings in the same direction and by roughly the same amount, but again, could this be the source of the "clunk?" A little squirt of silicone spray (especially the rear anti-sway bar bushings) might determine if it is. Just a thought, anyway.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Reading comprehension fail over here.

Based on what you're describing, it sounds like your Creative Steel differential bushing is going bad. I'm having a similar issue with my rear end, which I'm also going to chalk up to a Creative Steel bushing. The leading theory on the problem is that the metal sleeve on the CS bushing has been crushed or deformed by drivetrain-related stresses. Since I'm kind of leading the charge on this issue having already purchased a Revshift differential bushing to replace it, I'll take it upon myself to put up a post if indeed that fixes it. Might be a couple of weeks, however. Final exam (master's) is coming up.

I think you are on to something Fuzzy.

I realized that I could reproduce the noise while stationary if I held the brakes and partially engaged the clutch. Had the bright idea to stop at a quick lube and had a guy shoot a video for me.

This is stationary with the brakes on. Car in 1st gear, with partial engagement of the clutch. There is way more movement than I expected based on my visual inspection and pushing on the diff by hand. Obviously with full throttle shifts that thing is moving all over the place.

I have 35k and 3+ years on the creative Steel bushing. Looks like it might be time to replace it again.

Fuzzy, why did you go with the RevShift this time?

Doh, posts about videos are better with the video.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cgryXIKoZII&feature=plcp
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=cgryXIKoZII

I went with Revshift because they make a better product, pure and simple. Also, Creative Steel doesn't have a 95A option.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    I went with Revshift because they make a better product, pure and simple. Also, Creative Steel doesn't have a 95A option.
    Not that I don't believe you, but what makes you expect that the RevShift products are superior to the Creative Steel equivalent. Just trying to make an informed decision, there were no bad revdiews of the CS parts when I bought mine in 2009.

Do you have or are you planning on getting the CS diff block to use with your RevShift diff bushing?

Quote Originally Posted by Andringa View Post
    Not that I don't believe you, but what makes you expect that the RevShift products are superior to the Creative Steel equivalent. Just trying to make an informed decision, there were no bad revdiews of the CS parts when I bought mine in 2009.

Do you have or are you planning on getting the CS diff block to use with your RevShift diff bushing?
    I installed the Creative Steel differential block and bushing at the same time. For about 6-8 months, it did a good job of reducing driveline clunk. Then, clunk started to creep back in. If the Creative Steel differential bushing is damaged when I remove it, you can be certain that I'll post up pictures of the carnage.

Thanks for the follow up. I spent some time last night and read that entire RevShift Cradle bushing thread. I didn't realize how many bushings they were producing for the V and how positive the feedback was.

Sounds like I need to order a RevShift diff bushing. Any idea how hard the Creative Steel bushing is going to be to get out? Hoping I dont' need to rent their tool to press it out like the OEM bushing.

I don't know about you, but I only needed the rental tool to press out the OEM bushing. The Creative Steel bushing simply slid in, since I chilled the bushing (and by extension, its metal sleeve) in the freezer overnight in preparation for installation. I doubt it'll be much harder to get out, especially if it's damaged.

Most Revshift bushings are comprised of three pieces: two poly halves and a steel or aluminum core. To install, you press the core into one of the bushing halves, hold both halves up to the receiving component (in this case, the differential), and thread a long bolt with two fat washers and a nut through the center. When you tighten down on the nut, it'll suck the bushing halves together. Done!

Thanks again for the comments Fuzzy, I remember the OEM bushing being a pain in the ass to get out. I believe we used the tool to push the new CS bushing in, but I had not put mine in the freezer.

Yeah, from what I've seen the RevShift bushings go in relatively easy after removing the OEM pieces.

KaMaSuTrA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 Cadillac CTS-V

Wow, that's an insane amount of movement in that video, I have not seen or heard of a CS diff bushing going out like that. I believe I'm also experiencing a similar issue with my car and I already have a Revshift 95A diff bushing on the way to hopefully help remedy the situation.

I've posted on another forum and in addition to the stock dual mass flywheel and diff bushing going out, it's been said that the stock driveshaft can also contribute to clunking. The carrier bearing is also intact on mine. If the clunk does not go away, that will be the next step for my situation.

Quote Originally Posted by KaMaSuTrA View Post

Wow, that's an insane amount of movement in that video, I have not seen or heard of a CS diff bushing going out like that. I believe I'm also experiencing a similar issue with my car and I already have a Revshift 95A diff bushing on the way to hopefully help remedy the situation.

I've posted on another forum and in addition to the stock dual mass flywheel and diff bushing going out, it's been said that the stock driveshaft can also contribute to clunking. The carrier bearing is also intact on mine. If the clunk does not go away, that will be the next step for my situation.
    Yeah, I think I'll be ordering a 95A RevShift diff bushing pretty soon here. The driveshaft carrier bushing is probably contributing to the problem, but at $900 to replace the driveshaft I think that will be one of the last things I replace.

It would be awesome if RevShift could get some sort of repair setup where you ship them your driveshaft and they put a new carrier bushing in it. Possibly a core exchange or something so that cars aren't down for weeks at a time.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.