Ringing @ 4500+ RPM... Water Pump?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Ringing @ 4500+ RPM... Water Pump? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Like the title says, I'm getting a ringing at 4500+ RPM. My internet searches suggest it's either a belt problem ...
    WarrenMRogers is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Ringing @ 4500+ RPM... Water Pump?

Like the title says, I'm getting a ringing at 4500+ RPM. My internet searches suggest it's either a belt problem or a water pump problem. I sprayed some belt dressing on the serpentine just because it was the cheapest thing to try. It didn't work. I'm not leaking coolant that I can tell and I am not seeing any unusual running temperatures. I have been driving it daily waiting for something to pop on me but it drives great like there's nothing wrong. Is there something I can do to check the water pump before I go and buy a replacement?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

joshuajohn1981 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS V
    Is it a ringing like from under the hood or is it a ringing like over the speakers and you're expecting something to pop up on the DIC?

Re: Ringing @ 4500+ RPM... Water Pump?

A ringing from the engine.

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    Pick it up dude, your engine just wants to talk. Its been a while since you two talked. Lol sorry couldn't help it.

Manseeno is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V (No Moonroof)

I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but I seem to remember reading about somebody with a similar concern when their car was new and a GM engineer determined that the ringing was caused by the coolant's passing through the cooling system that just happened to reach an audible harmonic at a certain engine speed. I think there was some solution, but I don't remember what it was or if the car was even a CTS-V....so I guess I'm not helping, lol....I'll go back to my cubby now...

D3l7a3ch0 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Black-on-Black

Quote Originally Posted by Manseeno View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but I seem to remember reading about somebody with a similar concern when their car was new and a GM engineer determined that the ringing was caused by the coolant's passing through the cooling system that just happened to reach an audible harmonic at a certain engine speed. I think there was some solution, but I don't remember what it was or if the car was even a CTS-V....so I guess I'm not helping, lol....I'll go back to my cubby now...
    that would be interesting if it is the case. how odd

My car has 99989 miles when I left it in the garage tonight. This JUST started a few days ago. About a month, ago my car developed a nose on my way to work that I determined to be the alternator during the day's research. I priced a new one and scheduled time to fix it. When I got out to my car after work, it was fine and I haven't had the problem since. It was a very loud noise that increased with speed. There was a video of the noise that was identical posted in some thread. But this is a ringing that kicks in and stays consistent from 4500 on.

I'm at 100,004 now. Nothing different yet. Anyone have any suggestions?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.