I found a set of used tires-will they fit?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, I found a set of used tires-will they fit? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; They are 255/35/zr18 90w will they fit my V1? They are only 500.00 for four with wheels...
    V user is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTSV

I found a set of used tires-will they fit?

They are 255/35/zr18 90w will they fit my V1? They are only 500.00 for four with wheels

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

D3l7a3ch0 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Black-on-Black

Re: I found a set of used tires-will they fit?

nope, not at all.

where can i find this sale, though :-D

just kidding, I'll bite: that sounds like the right size. are you saying they are already mounted on wheels, and it's all $500? (what wheels are they?)

they're lower profile than stock (I'm using 245/45/18), but they'll fit. meaning the total height of the wheel and tire as it's mounted, will be shorter. affects your speedometer reading, and torque, and top speed.

first number 255 is the width, second is the height of the sidewall (as a percentage of the width, I think), and last is... the diameter of the wheel it's supposed to fit on.

might be the same height sidewall, since the width is bigger than what I've got (245)

if i'm wrong, people will log in to slay me on the forums. just stay tuned.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Slayed.

Will they fit? Yes.

Will they look ridiculous? Yes.

That is a full 2 steps down in aspect ratio. My V with slicks that were 1 down looked noticeably smaller...
    D3l7a3ch0 and D3l7a3ch0 like this.

GUAHH!

(though I think you mean slain)

maybe it has a tread pattern he likes

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by V user View Post
    They are 255/35/zr18 90w will they fit my V1? They are only 500.00 for four with wheels
    Will they physically fit on your car? Yes. Are they the right size? No, not even close.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Not to mention the load rating is very low compared to stock.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk
    Quote Originally Posted by D3l7a3ch0 View Post
    GUAHH!

(though I think you mean slain)

maybe it has a tread pattern he likes
    Well... If they have a sweet tread pattern I say go for it!

Edit: after retracing I realized hat my sarcasm really didnt come through...that tire size is smaller than you should be using on the V.

will do this:

(in no particular order)

lower your car,
    your shift points will arrive faster
    speedometer reading will be inaccurate
    lower your top speed
    increase torque-iness
    increase gap with top of wheel well
    make ride harsher
    brakes will feel grabbier (closer to outside of tire radius = more mechanical leverage)

car is lowered .825 inches
    1/2 x (stock tire height->26.68in - 25.03in<-new tire height)

final gear ratios (speedo, speeds, torque-iness) will be affected by 6.18%
    (stock tire circumference->83.77in - 78.59in<-new tire circumference) ÷ 83.77in = 6.18%

will feel like +24 ft/lbs of torque at motor

...readout will be higher than actual speed by 3mph every 50mph...
    25mph = 23.5mph,
    50mph = 47mph,
    100mph = 94mph

correction: brake grabiness increases by 6.199% <-I'm not sure if the braking benefit is the percentage difference between stock and smaller radius, I have a feeling it might not be. but if it IS:
    braking characteristics of the car goes from 1.06g -> 1.125g
    which is equivalent to WRX-STI
    and good for 10 to 12 feet better 100-0 stopping distance
    Attached Images

repenttokyo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

wow that's an amazingly complete answer post!

I'm glad you like it! I'm taking physics right now, and I love it~! (pre-engineering)

I would love to be proven wrong by an automotive engineer (any engineer, or physicist)... their advice tends to come with a mathematical explanation and I love that shit.

I don't think I want to work in the automotive industry, but I love me sum physics

at some point the motor loses the mechanical leverage benefit to the higher speed the drive train and shorter wheel/tire needs to rotate compared to the stock wheel/tire, and kinetic energy isn't linear; it's proportional to the square of its speed... (and it's the same wheel--it didn't lose 6% of mass to compensate for the 6% reduced circumference, and if it did, the whole rotating assembly(the system) would need to shrink proportionally (and it hasn't, it's the same wheel/disc/lugs/hub))

(similar mass/linear energy, but higher rotational energy of the smaller wheels.. to the order of +6% squared x 1/2...x 4 wheels... and now the motor has to push that~)

convert it all into newtons, and you see why the engine tops out after succumbing to air friction and rotating mass...

physics is ****ing beautiful. it's divine

according to the CIA world factbook, America is one of three remaining countries in the WORLD that hasn't adopted the metric/international standard (SI) system. Burma, Liberia, and us. That should bother you. the Brits moved to SI after we rebelled, but we never made the change (Sir Isaac Newton lived 1642 – 1727, which is telling)...

I think we're gimping ourselves by using inches and pounds, rather than the measurement system of Physics (SI)... no doubt in my mind America is denying its school-going youth, the experience of discovering Physics (and the units they're accustomed to using, "clicking" together so beautifully).

International System of Units

I might've taken an interest in school as a teen and not run off into the military at 18, and then spent my 20s there. Not that I'd do anything differently if I had the choice, but at the time I had no idea Physics could explain the world around me better than any answers I found in the last decade.

the reason why not switch to SI includes the cost of road signs etc. and all the infrastructure that uses pounds and inches... but I think TX as a state can handle the cost locally, I think we should secede and switch to SI.

//the important thing isn't whether I'm right, it's that I'm open to being wrong and interested in knowing what's right.

V user is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTSV

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo View Post
    wow that's an amazingly complete answer post!

I am impressed!
    Thanks
    A friend has them off a Mercedes

I've got it.

assuming the wheel is 22 lbs and the weight is evenly distributed, the shorter height wheel and tire combo requires 3 additional horsepower per wheel at 60mph, and that's pretty close to 6%...

I'm going to bet that had my estimations been more accurate, it would more strongly support the 6% figure, and show the net hp to "feel like -24 hp at the motor"

since the wheels are about the same weight but shorter, they require more horsepower to turn at a given speed compared to stock height, due to the increase in radians per second (radians = how many times does the wheel roll the distance of its radius. at 62 mph or 100 km/h, it's 82 times a second for the stock wheel, and 87.5 times a second for the shorter wheel... and those figures are later squared, and that's where the seemingly slight 6% difference becomes significant ...the difference of 5.5 radians is 6.28% of 87.5 radians)

stock wheel has 5563 Joules @100km/h (3864 Joules kinetic + 1699 Joules rotational)
    short wheel has 5805 Joules @100km/h (3864 Joules kinetic + 1941 Joules rotational)

this is an increase in 242 Joules, or 242 kg x meters squared x seconds squared @62 mph or 100 kmh
    which is equal to 178 lb/ft, (trust me)
    and 1 horsepower is 550 lb/ft per second, so
    550 foot pounds / 178 foot pounds = 3.08 hp. per wheel. required @62 mph or 100 kmh

so. it will feel like +24 ft/lbs of torque, and a loss of 24 hp at the motor.

stock top speed of 163 mph is reduced to 153 mph.
    because the shorter wheel/tire combo needs to spin faster,
    and the energy required to do that compared to stock is increased by 1/2 of +6% ...squared.

...yes if you note the time of the post it's 4:30 AM... this wheel problem has been killing me all day (it took me all day because rotational energy is next week's chapter or the week after that, and new concepts are accompanied by a 3-hour practical lab). Lucky for me, all I have going on this weekend is studying for an algebra exam Monday and a Physics exam Tuesday.

//tbjs, I'm going to bet you know what your "top-out" speed on your slicks is, compared to your stock tires, and that it's 3-4% lower with those 40 series slicks... possibly 5% since the rubber is heavier. (am I right )

Heavybody is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V and 94 SLS
    It's awesome to see someone who enjoys what they are doing! Glad you like physics... And are here to give us the math & science behind our car questions!!

It's also refreshing for someone to be open to the possibility of being wrong !!!

Great thread so far

robojesus is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): of

245/45 is 110.25mm sidewall height.

255/35 is 89.25mm sidewall height.

So yeah, they'll work. Your speedometer will be off, and you'll have wheel gap, but if you're in a pinch and need tires, I'd probably go ahead and check craigslist before I did anything, tbh. People sell solid used tires for 30-50 bucks each constantly.

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    Way too much math/physics in this thread... I just trust the ol butt dyno, my ass never lies. And gauges of course. I love me gauges to see what the car is doing.

math city
    math math city
    ten ten ten twenty is fitty
    Motown Cad and Motown Cad like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.