I found a set of used tires-will they fit? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree19Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, I found a set of used tires-will they fit? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Yolo!...
    joshuajohn1981 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS V
    Yolo!

Motown Cad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Silver V Sport Susp.

Re: I found a set of used tires-will they fit?

OMG D3l7a3ch0,

I'm crying at your responses. You made my day and I'm thrilled to see that there is hope for our country with young minds like yours. I'm a Program Manager and manage Engineers. It's quite gratifying work. They blow me away with their knowledge/work and roll their eyes at me when I say "wtf did you just say? English please. Then the engineer humor attacks begin and I only get 60% of it. When their done laughing at me I say "Yeah, yeah... But I'm still in charge and it's hard leading five 50lb heads around and you guys do know that PM's refer to you as "gimps". As in "bring out the gimp" from Pulp Fiction. Good clean fun.

----------

Go Aerospace!
    D3l7a3ch0 and D3l7a3ch0 like this.

carlson_mn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Platinum 06 CTS-V, kooks, magnaflow

Tires are too small for car like others have said. I'm going up in overall size from 26.6 to 27" to close the wheel well gap a small amount and 1st gear is spun far too easily as is, not that .4" will make much difference either way though. I am planning on 255/45 for my next tire size.

D3l7a3ch0 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Black-on-Black

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Cad View Post
    OMG D3l7a3ch0,

I'm crying at your responses. You made my day and I'm thrilled to see that there is hope for our country with young minds like yours. I'm a Program Manager and manage Engineers. It's quite gratifying work. They blow me away with their knowledge/work and roll their eyes at me when I say "wtf did you just say? English please. Then the engineer humor attacks begin and I only get 60% of it. When their done laughing at me I say "Yeah, yeah... But I'm still in charge and it's hard leading five 50lb heads around and you guys do know that PM's refer to you as "gimps". As in "bring out the gimp" from Pulp Fiction. Good clean fun.

----------

Go Aerospace!
    you called me ...young! you sir have made my week

thank you very much Mr Motown Cad.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by D3l7a3ch0 View Post
    you called me ...young! you sir have made my week ...
    I could make your month!

But, check me if I'm wrong, but going to these tires wouldn't necessarily reduce top speed all the way from 163 to 153 since the torque as applied at the tire-pavement interface would be greater with the smaller diameter tires.

D3, you are indeed a refreshing character on here.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    character, sure...

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    I could make your month!

But, check me if I'm wrong, but going to these tires wouldn't necessarily reduce top speed all the way from 163 to 153 since the torque as applied at the tire-pavement interface would be greater with the smaller diameter tires.

D3, you are indeed a refreshing character on here.
    thank you, sir~

I got the high score on the physics midterm; 90% before the curve. but I have mixed feelings about it. the ones I missed were some of the easiest questions on the exam, and I didn't pay them enough attention. but I'm ok with it because this class is consistent in reminding me I'm not as smart as I think I am.

...but I'm going to ace the final, I know it! lol

re: the top speed.. it's a small difference in circumference, and at low speed all you feel is the better mechanical leverage so they're just plain torque-ier. the problem is the energy of a moving object increases exponentially with its speed (rather than linear). in the case of a rolling object, it has forward motion energy and rotational energy... and at 150mph the tires are screaming:

45 series tires spin 32.8 times per second at 150mph
    35 series tires spin 34.6 times per second at 150mph

those extra 1.8 revolutions when it's already spinning 32.8 times per second (and travelling at 150mph) costs 7.5 horsepower per wheel. it's the same idea as when you're doing 60 and the car won't speed up unless you give it more power--on top of the power you're already using to do 60. at 150mph the stock V doesn't have any more power to give to make the smaller wheels spin faster.

you're letting me talk about this because you know I enjoy it, aren't you.

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

Quote Originally Posted by D3l7a3ch0 View Post
    thank you, sir~

I got the high score on the physics midterm; 90% before the curve. but I have mixed feelings about it. the ones I missed were some of the easiest questions on the exam, and I didn't pay them enough attention. but I'm ok with it because this class is consistent in reminding me I'm not as smart as I think I am.

...but I'm going to ace the final, I know it! lol

re: the top speed.. it's a small difference in circumference, and at low speed all you feel is the better mechanical leverage so they're just plain torque-ier. the problem is the energy of a moving object increases exponentially with its speed (rather than linear). in the case of a rolling object, it has forward motion energy and rotational energy... and at 150mph the tires are screaming:

45 series tires spin 32.8 times per second at 150mph
    35 series tires spin 34.6 times per second at 150mph

those extra 1.8 revolutions when it's already spinning 32.8 times per second (and travelling at 150mph) costs 7.5 horsepower per wheel. it's the same idea as when you're doing 60 and the car won't speed up unless you give it more power--on top of the power you're already using to do 60. at 150mph the stock V doesn't have any more power to give to make the smaller wheels spin faster.

you're letting me talk about this because you know I enjoy it, aren't you.
    I'm sorry, we can't accept these answers if you don't show your work.

sunovabiiiiiiiii!!!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.