noise still coming from the back...need help.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, noise still coming from the back...need help. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I changed my differential oil like I was told I should but the same rubbing type of noise in the ...
    4DoorZ06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V & 08 CTS 4

noise still coming from the back...need help.

I changed my differential oil like I was told I should but the same rubbing type of noise in the back of the car is still there. Is there anyone who knows what this could be?

----------

Also my front left shock is going out. I need to know wich front shocks would be good to put on without breaking the bank too much.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: noise still coming from the back...need help.

I would put OEM FE4 shocks on the front.

As to the rubbing sound we need more information as to what it sounds like and under what conditions it occurs.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

As darkman mentioned, is that "rubbing" coming only when you're turning? ... or going straight? ... or any motion at all?

I'm assuming you've looked under there to make sure there isn't some branch dragging under there or a piece of cardboard caught in the wheel well.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Bacon V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V

Rubbing as in metallic? Could be anything from a rotor dust shield dragging on the rotor to the differential whining. The diff in these cars is known to whine at times - you can reduce it with certain lubes but others will not change it. Could be the diff as you suspect and you might need a different weight and/or additive to reduce it. Could also be brakes dragging or rubbing on a corroded rotor edge. Can you jack up the rear and rotate the wheels by hand to see if you can reproduce it?

JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys

Can you describe the ruckus?

The noise is only when I am turning and in gear. It does not make the noise while turning in neutral nor when im going straight just when turning and in gear. It just sounds like metal and plastic rubbing if it makes sense.

Your description sounds like the slip-lock additive wasn't added when the differential fluid was changed.
    HAMSTAR and HAMSTAR like this.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Your description sounds like the slip-lock additive wasn't added when the differential fluid was changed.
    Agree.

So I took it to my mechanic and he said the clunking is caused by the motor mounts. Are the UMI motor mounts any good? The complete kit goes for $249

Quote Originally Posted by 4DoorZ06 View Post
    ... rubbing type of noise in the back of the car is still there ...
    Quote Originally Posted by 4DoorZ06 View Post
    ... the clunking is caused by the motor mounts ...
    That could well be, but did you get the first problem solved?

Quote Originally Posted by JDB View Post
    Can you describe the ruckus?
    lol, havent seen a breakfast club quote in a while

J W
    J W is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS /CTS-V / Escalade

Mine has been sitting all winter. I brought it out yesterday and while driving i would hear a clunking sound when shifting It did not do it all the time but i did notice the sound. Could that be the motor mounts. It has 41k on it.

Quote Originally Posted by J W View Post
    Mine has been sitting all winter. I brought it out yesterday and while driving i would hear a clunking sound when shifting It did not do it all the time but i did notice the sound. Could that be the motor mounts. It has 41k on it.
    It could be the motor mounts, but there are other possibilities. The differential bushing would be my first guess. The motor mounts are liquid-filed units and leak brown/rust color fluid when they have failed. You could look for leakage with the car on a rack or jack stands.

J W
    J W is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS /CTS-V / Escalade

Ok thanks, I'll lift it tonight and see if there's any leakage. If it's the differential bushings would there be a way to tell.

Yes, you can usually push up hard on the bottom of the diff and get it to move a good amount if it's failed. You can also sometimes see rubber chunks missing and/or hanging out

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.