noise still coming from the back...need help. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, noise still coming from the back...need help. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; The first problem is still there. I took it to jiffy lube and asked specifically for the GM oil and ...
    4DoorZ06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V & 08 CTS 4
    The first problem is still there. I took it to jiffy lube and asked specifically for the GM oil and additive. They ended up putting Pennzoil and I'm not even sure if they put additive. Does the Pennzoil work because the noise never went away.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: noise still coming from the back...need help.

Quote Originally Posted by 4DoorZ06 View Post
    The first problem is still there. I took it to jiffy lube and asked specifically for the GM oil and additive. They ended up putting Pennzoil and I'm not even sure if they put additive. Does the Pennzoil work because the noise never went away.
    Pennzoil lists synthetic and non-synthetic GL-5 specification gears oils. All of those I found indicate that they are suitable for limited-slip differentials which means they come with some additive in them. However, there is no way to know that the friction coefficient is correct for any particular differential. Since yours may still be making noise, I would add more additive. Most autoparts stores carry one brand or another of gear oil friction modifier. Just drain out some the existing fluid and add the additive. (or ask Jiffy to do so.)

(The original Techinical Service Bulletin on this issue (2004) actually suggested removing the limited-slip clutch packs from the differential and soaking them in the additive to cure the condition. While that is no longer recommended, it does suggest that some extra additive may required to cure the issue once it developements.)

So Just today I noticed that now its doing the noise even in neutral and going straight but its not very loud. Any ideas. now of what it could be?

Stalicone is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

I had a terrible rubbing noise coming from the rear diff. It was when the car was in gear and turning at slow speed, like when parking. It was like a grinding/rubbing noise that sounded like bad bushings or bearings. It was driving me nuts since I had recently had the diff serviced and used Royal Purple. Another mechanic I know, who has a GTO recommended Amsoil with the slip lock additive. He also told me it would take like 2 days for the noise to abate after changing the fluid. I told him straight that his suggestion sounded like so much bullshit...I mean no "fluid" could possibly make a noise like THAT go away...and whats with the 2 days??? 2 days for "oil" to make a HUGE rubbing noise go away?

Well, wouldn't ya know it. The guy was like a fortune teller. We put the Amsoil in and right away I noticed the sound started changing...it wasn't so...hair raising. Sure enough, 2 days later, the sound was completely gone. Unreal.... From oil.

sounds like you had the same exact problem that I do. I'm am going to try this and if it works than that will surely make me happy. Do you know how much oil and additive he put in your car?

Stalicone is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

To answer your question, I actually called the mechanic who cured mine, and this is what he said: "You really need the AC Delco 35/90 full synthetic with their "friction modifier". About 2 qts. of the 35/90 and 2 ounces of the friction modifier. Because the the AC Delco is hard to find or available only through the dealer, we used Amsoil 35/90 synthetic on yours with 2 ounces of the "slip lock additive."

I can tell you that it cured mine, and it was was making so much noise it was setting my teeth on edge. Again, it was so hard to believe that mere oil could have such a profound effect, but it did....I'm certainly not claiming this is your issue. I'm just relating my story, and a fluid change is a lot cheaper than wrenching on a rear end!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.