Ticking from the front of the motor... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Ticking from the front of the motor... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I have recently retired from noise diagnosing through the internet, but good luck with your search. my recommendation is, until ...
    D3l7a3ch0 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Black-on-Black

Re: Ticking from the front of the motor...

I have recently retired from noise diagnosing through the internet, but good luck with your search.

my recommendation is, until you know what part you have to pull, take it to a mechanic on-the-clock or otherwise, so they can run diagnostic actions in person

may you continue to work hard in your endeavors, brother.

ctsvdubbz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 cts-v

Any ideas?

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

In your first post you listed rocker as one of the things you had already checked. Have you had both valve covers off?

Yes i torqued all the rockers.. And had both valve covers off..

I couldn't here anything all that unusual on the video. I know I here more noise with my engine cover off, which is one of the reasons GM puts them on there. You might see what it sounds like with engine cover on.

Also if you can put it on Rhino ramps or jack stands and get under the car with a stethoscope any rod or main bearing noises will be louder on the bottom side of the motor. How is your oil pressure?

Oil pressure reads real high.. Think it may be broke... Been that way since i got it... Used a stethoscope seems to be coming from the bottom right in front of the crank pulley...

----------

A bearing would be a knock id think.. And theres no shavigs of metal in the oil..

The sound of a spun main bearing is more of a metallic squeal than a knock - very ugly sound. The rod bearing, of course is a knock. The typical way to check the oil for metal is to cut open the oil filter.

D3l7a3ch0 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Black-on-Black

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    The sound of a spun main bearing is more of a metallic squeal than a knock - very ugly sound. The rod bearing, of course is a knock. The typical way to check the oil for metal is to cut open the oil filter.
    all the oil filters I cut open have shavings in them like I just hacksawed through metal! help! (and some of it is even the same color as the paint on the outside of the filter--help!!)

sssnake is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V
    When you took the valve covers off did you check all of the pushrods (roll them on a clean flat surface)? I couldn't here anything with the rpms up but at the end of the clip I thought I heard a familiar tick. If the pushrods are slightly bent it reduces preload and makes the valve train noisy among other issues.

Did not check the push rods that could also possibly be... Everyone ive talked to says its lifters or something top end.. Which kinda makes me a little less worried... But i will check them and price lifters and maybe rockers n just replace it all... The stethoscope was loud right behind the crank pulley... So that worried me alot..

For what it is worth a failing harmonic balancer can become noisey even without developing any visible wobble.

Swapped the pushrods... Tick is gone... Some of the pulleys are a little noisy still but sounds 100 times better... Found one pushrod that was bent.. Not by much at all... Cant believe a bens that slight would cause a tick like that..

sssnake is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsvdubbz View Post
    Swapped the pushrods... Tick is gone... Some of the pulleys are a little noisy still but sounds 100 times better... Found one pushrod that was bent.. Not by much at all... Cant believe a bens that slight would cause a tick like that..
    Be sure the lifters and cam are ok. With a bent pushrod you may find damage to them as well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.