Help! Stripped Motor Mount Bolt!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Help! Stripped Motor Mount Bolt! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hey guys--it's 4 AM here and I'm stymied by the last motor mount bolt on the driver's side (upper left ...
    FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Help! Stripped Motor Mount Bolt!

Hey guys--it's 4 AM here and I'm stymied by the last motor mount bolt on the driver's side (upper left quadrant). I wrecked two sockets (one 15mm 12 point and one 15mm 6 point) and I doubt that buying another 6 point will solve this situation.

Am I down to hammering on a 14mm socket, or do you have another idea?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Help! Stripped Motor Mount Bolt!

Are you using impact sockets?

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Pick up a set of those stripped nut/bolt remover sockets? Something like this (those are SAE rather than metric, but you get the idea) - should be able to get them at any auto parts place or HD/Lowe's or Sears.

Either that or vice grips, but I don't know if there's enough room that you'd be able to get the vice grips on there well and be able to put some torque on them.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

izcain is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 V

hammering on a socket sometimes will do the trick as well but looks like you already had that idea

I am still trying figure out how you "wreck" a six-point, tool-steel socket with a grade 8 bolt.

Bacon V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    I am still trying figure out how you "wreck" a six-point, tool-steel socket with a grade 8 bolt.
    Harbor freight sockets?

Thanks for the input. I think my only recourse at this point is to wait until I pull the motor and weld a socket to the bolt to get it out.

Thus far I've tried using a brand new 6-point 15mm hardened impact wrench socket, after spraying penetrating oil on the bolt and waiting 45 minutes for it to soak in, and hammering a 12-point 14mm socket onto the bolt.

Btw, the "rounded bolt" sockets kits (or at least the one I tried, which was endorsed by Popular Mechanics) seem to be too flimsy for this kind of stuff--for instance, the amount of torque I've been exerting on my 3', 3/8" extension has been twisting its metal shaft by over 90 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    Thanks for the input. I think my only recourse at this point is to wait until I pull the motor and weld a socket to the bolt to get it out.

Thus far I've tried using a brand new 6-point 15mm hardened impact wrench socket, after spraying penetrating oil on the bolt and waiting 45 minutes for it to soak in, and hammering a 12-point 14mm socket onto the bolt.

Btw, the "rounded bolt" sockets kits (or at least the one I tried, which was endorsed by Popular Mechanics) seem to be too flimsy for this kind of stuff--for instance, the amount of torque I've been exerting on my 3', 3/8" extension has been twisting its metal shaft by over 90 degrees.
    The 3' 3/8" extension is killing your effort - very little the torque is actually reaching the socket because that extension is acting like a torque stick. It would help to use a 1/2" extension for most of the "reach" even with an adapter at the end to use a 3/8 socket (if you can't get a 1/2 inch socket on it).

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    The 3' 3/8" extension is killing your effort - very little the torque is actually reaching the socket because that extension is acting like a torque stick. It would help to use a 1/2" extension for most of the "reach" even with an adapter at the end to use a 3/8 socket (if you can't get a 1/2 inch socket on it).
    I've actually sheared 3/8" drive . . . pretty much everything. I gave it one more try--hammered the 14mm on there all the way up to motor, smoothly cranked it over with my breaker bar, and when it popped, the socket almost perfectly rounded off the bolt. No rotation on the bolt (blue paint still lined up with the motor).

I'm actually starting to doubt whether it *can* be removed. That bolt might as well be welded there. I've already confirmed that there's no load on the motor mounts--the lower end of the motor mount can be freely moved. I would try to drill out the bolt, but I'd have to resleeve the opening, since a countersink would not be sufficient to help remove the bolt shaft.

I'll probably leave one Creative Steel mount on the passenger side and the OEM mount on the other side. Added compression resistance on the passenger side should help prevent the driver's side mount from shearing.

----------

Hey, out of curiosity, do you think I'll have problems pulling the motor out with one of the mounts still attached to the motor?

pato is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V

That's what you get when you have an electrical engineer do a mechanic's job.

at all the suckers.

NCOGNITO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V - Black Raven

Sucks man, sorry to hear. I know you typically try to cram a marathon upgrade on the weekends when it gets warmer in your area. I hate having to stay up all night to try to get things buttoned up, hope you get it figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by NCOGNITO View Post
    Sucks man, sorry to hear. I know you typically try to cram a marathon upgrade on the weekends when it gets warmer in your area. I hate having to stay up all night to try to get things buttoned up, hope you get it figured out.
    Unfortunately, I'll have to drive on one Creative Steel mount and one stock motor mount, but the good thing is that my stock mounts are in great condition (26k miles). I also rewrapped my headers with DEI titanium, installed new header gaskets, new bolts, prepped for the KW Variant 3 installation, and installed the Addco front sway bar. If I'm not feeling sleepy tonight, I may attempt the Revshift coupler installation, although I'm a little afraid of messing with that without having allocated time to shim the transmission mount in the event I experience vibration.

Has anyone ever installed the Revshift driveshaft coupler and not had any issues?

DWF0551 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I've had a lot of luck heating stuck bolts with a torch to loosen them up. Not sure how this would work on an aluminum block but it may be worth a try. And I agree use 1/2' tools.

sssnake is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF0551 View Post
    I've had a lot of luck heating stuck bolts with a torch to loosen them up. Not sure how this would work on an aluminum block but it may be worth a try. And I agree use 1/2' tools.
    I'd give it a shot with map gas instead of propane. I can't imagine why that bolt is so tough. All mine came out easily.

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

Are you putting constant pressure on it with a breaker bar? I seem to remember being able to get the impact wrench to all of those bolts with the right extensions. Impact > constant pressure when trying to break something loose.

Edit: Just rescanned the post, if you rounded it off already you are probably SOL until you pull the engine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.