The engine has developed a knock - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, The engine has developed a knock in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by izcain Did you get the old part? Was the wheel all nicked up? Did they pull the ...
    RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    Quote Originally Posted by izcain View Post
    Did you get the old part? Was the wheel all nicked up? Did they pull the engine all the way down or did they just replace the one lifter?
    I'm sure they tossed it but that is a very valid question. Always have them show you what's wrong. A lifter that collapsed 3/8 of an inch??? (Per a previous post) Shit dude that seems like a lot to me. Granted I haven't really worked on hydraulic lifters before. (The old small block I built for a 55 pickup had solid lifters). Even though its a hydraulic lifter I can't really see it being collapsed 3/8 of an inch... I'm probably wrong though since I haven't had an LS apart ever. But that just seemed odd to me. Most cam lifts around .6xx +/- of an inch, does a hydraulic lifter really have that much movement in there (.375 of an inch)? I know they use oil as an incompressible fluid to actuate the push rod, rocker, valve etc but it seems like even drained they shouldn't have that much slack.

I dunno someone help me out here... Does that seem right or was the mechanic just blowing smoke to "fix" an issue that wasn't present? I completely agree it sounds like valve train, definitely top end of the motor. But I don't think the mechanic diagnosed it right, or maybe he did but there was more to it than just a lifter issue. What caused the lifter to fail? He failed to properly address that with you. Maybe it was just a faulty part but I would err on the side of looking deeper to make sure its not connected in some way to a bent push rod binding in the head or something causing a lifter to fail (like low oil pressure, since the oil pressure "wasn't working" when you picked it up). Hydraulic lifters need good oil pressure, its like your heart pumping without blood.

Good luck dude I hope it gets figured out quick.

Like I said that's a total off the wall guess and I'm probably wrong so don't crucify me if I am.

carsaremytoys is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Re: The engine has developed a knock

I do have the collapsed lifter.

They charged me for a new head gasket, but I never saw it with the head off.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by brngrhd View Post
    Sounds like left side of the motor..... I agree check under that cover and you will probably find something..... I'd take it back and talk to him if he still can't hear it then it is going to get ugly....

----------

So it was making 5.5psi before then only 3psi after they got done? I hope to go they out all the lifters in not just one..... With the cam and everything you got going on are the push rods right? Are the springs ****ing up the lifters? Are the rockers still good. I would hope they would check all this stuff but.....
    Hamsters on a wheel can churn more than 3psi...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

He had the nerve to tell me that I was pissing him off today when I took the car back, what happened to customer service? Paying customers don't mean shit anymore. He continued to blow off the noise, and even blamed it on the super charger. I asked him if he had a stethoscope, to which he replied "i have a screwdriver" I asked if he would get it so that we could pin point the noise. He was an ass and stated that he would have to charge me for this. I asked if he would listen if I got mine and he agreed. He also claimed in a scarcastic way that he obviously knows nothing of what a supercharger sounds like... Well, we each had a listen with my stethoscope and learned that the noise was coming from the head that he had previously taken off. Hmmm, I guess he doesn't know what a super charger sounds like. He says he'll tear into it again. But should I really have to go through all of this?!? I'm dumbfounded how someone can stay in business with this attitute toward paying customers.

What shop is this? You should post the name so people don't go there and get screwed by this guy again. I'm not sure how much he charged you but it may be time to go somewhere else. Maybe try and get money back in small claims court but it may not be worth the trouble to try and get the money back.

izcain is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 V

Post a pic of the lifter I would like to see it!

JFensty is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Blk Cts-V
    If you can't get the money back, take the loss and go somewhere else before he screws something else up and costs you the motor.
    odla and odla like this.

izcain is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 V

If they haven't done something already.

I agree with above. Find someone else that is competent. Telling you he is getting pissed just tells me he should DEFINITLY not be touching anything.

He put in another set of rockers and the noise went away, I can't explain it and neither can he. He said he is going to put the yella terras back in and see if the noise Comes back. He was very pleasant to work with today. Caught him at a bad time yesterday maybe, but so far he is making good.

He was pmsing??? Take him a tampon next time... Or get a camera and film a snickers commercial... Be like - hey mechanic have a snicker... "Why?" Because you turn into my mother in law when your hungry... Better? "Better!" Good now go put my car back together

Brought her home today, so far so good. He switched to all stock rockers .

Maybe one of the rockers was cracked. Sometimes its hard to see them like if they are cracked on the bottom (the head side). Did he let you check them out

I have them, I haven't given them a look yet.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.