The engine has developed a knock - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, The engine has developed a knock in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; what is "so far it's been robojesus" and "god help you" supposed to mean? i don't think you have a ...
    robojesus is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): of

Re: The engine has developed a knock

what is "so far it's been robojesus" and "god help you" supposed to mean? i don't think you have a clue who you're talking to kid. news flash my dude, i'm not someone who puts 8 inch kickers in the footrests of the rear seating area.

when you've built a few engines, and done work on your car other than changing fluids, you can talk to me like i'm retarded. you're no expert. i wouldn't trust your ass changing my oil.

izcain is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 V

Quote Originally Posted by robojesus View Post
    what is "so far it's been robojesus" and "god help you" supposed to mean? i don't think you have a clue who you're talking to kid. news flash my dude, i'm not someone who puts 8 inch kickers in the footrests of the rear seating area.

when you've built a few engines, and done work on your car other than changing fluids, you can talk to me like i'm retarded. you're no expert. i wouldn't trust your ass changing my oil.
    Or work on them for a living not just because something broke in my backyard.

I am done though, I don't want to muddy up the OP's post.

D3l7a3ch0 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Black-on-Black

HA! Success! Funny you mention the subs, this was 100% about your previous subs comment :-)

And I know exactly who I'm talking to! Youre robojesus!

WIN. Made my day

//I misspoke earlier. A timing light will flash with each revolution of the cam, not the crank.

C'mon guys, don't be like that--OP shouldn't suffer for my behavior--if you have something to suggest, say it!

Alright, back to trying to help this dude fix his issue.

deltaecho said that the headers back off of the block. They DO NOT back out of the block... they can unbolt from the head due to engine vibrations. Spray carb cleaner around the headers where they meet the head. If there is bubbling, then you will know you have an exhaust leak, not a surefire way, but it's a viable way. This is best case scenario, but highly unlikely.

second, you need to pull the valve covers. unbolt your rocker arms and remove the entire pedestal. you can tap on each lifter with a pushrod LIGHTLY with a mallet or hammer, if it goes down pretty easily, you have a lifter that is collapsing and is reinflated over time. That being said, if it's collapsed bad enough, the pushrod will be noticeably deeper down than the other 15 pushrods.

third, drain your oil. check for abnormal metal shavings. take your filter out, slowly cut it and strain it through a paper towel into a basin... then again, closely examine for excess metal shavings.

When I spun my rod bearing(s), I was unable to maintain good oil pressure, and the car had very little power, especially up top. This is rod knock in an LS6... I do not think this is what your car has.

Forward to 0:37 in this video. This is what my cars valve train sounds like all the time, due to a massive cam and noisy ass dual valve springs. With the higher open seat pressure of the springs, the valve snap back to closed a LOT harder than what you're used to hearing. A quick google search of "dual valvesprings noisy" brought this thread. In my estimation, I would not be surprised if you had:

1. Collapsed lifter.
    2. Bent/Damaged Pushrod
    3. Exhaust leak.

I do not think you have:

1. Spun rod bearing
    2. Spun/damaged cam bearing.
    3. Bad main bearing.

If you could get me a higher quality sound clip, I could make further guesses.

oh, yeah. right... headers bolt to the heads (you sure?)

umm... the troubleshooter in me would like to know the location of the noise in relation to cylinder, and which cylinder's ignition it coincides with. you could narrow it down to a single set of lifter, pushrod, rocker, spring, and valve (based on the four cycles of intake, compression, ignition, exhaust compared to which cylinder's ignition spark corresponds to the noise). ideally.

an example of a useful finding: "the noise happens when cylinder 4 fires, but it's right above cylinder 1"

that's if the noise occurred cleanly, but that rattle sounded fast, like once per cylinder.

I've rebuilt one or two engines a year since 2003, of my own but usually someone else's to lend a hand. I'm not familiar with our motors and I tackle issues as they happen.

I'm rusty.

Quote Originally Posted by D3l7a3ch0 View Post
    oh, yeah. right... headers bolt to the heads (you sure?)

umm... the troubleshooter in me would like to know the location of the noise in relation to cylinder, and which cylinder's ignition it coincides with. you could narrow it down to a single set of lifter, pushrod, rocker, spring, and valve (based on the four cycles of intake, compression, ignition, exhaust compared to which cylinder's ignition spark corresponds to the noise). ideally.

an example of a useful finding: "the noise happens when cylinder 4 fires, but it's right above cylinder 1"

that's if the noise occurred cleanly, but that rattle sounded fast, like once per cylinder.

I've rebuilt one or two engines a year since 2003, of my own but usually someone else's to lend a hand. I'm not familiar with our motors and I tackle issues as they happen.

I'm rusty.
    Please tell me you're not on a car forum suggesting that I'm incorrect in stating that headers connect to a cylinder head, rather than a block, all while insulting me?

see the pairs of valves here in a 243 casting head? INTAKE AND EXHAUST MAKE A PAIR.

See the fancy orange stuff covering the strange shaped holes? Those would be the exhaust exits.

Your easiest bet is popping a valve cover and taking a look around, not sure why you're suggesting he use octane booster LMFAO.

And pertaining to the "rusty" comment, I'm afraid you're just not as smart as you think you are. The LS1 based engines are EASY and basic as hell to figure out.

And why does the MAF delete both you? Have you never heard of a speed density tune?

OP, I glanced at another video of yours, and I need to know why the CEL is illuminated in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9MBFy__V2M

and listen to this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJCjjhcaTEM it's a dodge with a header leak.
    D3l7a3ch0 and D3l7a3ch0 like this.

PISNUOFF Guest

D3 - You were going strong with the frequency of the noise but lost all credibility with what seems like drunken babbling then suggesting an octane booster.

carsaremytoys - Check the headers for a leak then remove the valve covers and take a close look at everything. You can also run the motor at idle with them removed without oil squirting all over. It's also real easy to pull the rocker arms and pushrods so you can see the individual cam lobes.
    D3l7a3ch0 and D3l7a3ch0 like this.

naw, i mean if it's a rattle more than a solid once-per-cycle sound, I'm thinking it could just be an altitude difference the engine can't handle as well as if it still had the MAF. and no, i'm not familiar with a tune that doesn't use a MAF to (I dunno) accurately measure how much O2 is entering the engine....

this is not a normal motor we're talking about, and we have ignored the CEL.

Vegas is 300 miles from me, and it's an altitude change of 2200 feet. OP drove 600 miles from where he purchased it? OP if you dropped significant altitude, it's effectively increasing the compression in your cylinders. 8:1 and 5.5lbs sounds weird-low, I wonder if it's that way because it's compression-sensitive (OR SOMETHING)

or the 8:1 compression ratio is inaccurate and it's actually higher

robojesus, I was kidding, yes you're right... man i was just playin' about asking are you sure...

look i'm sorry, I more than got you back for the sub comment in that thread some weeks ago

wow, I got you good, I even made you pull a head to prove a point!

//I would quit the internet forever if it turns out to be an octane/altitude issue(and I'm right). i promise

carsaremytoys is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Cel is on because it doesn't have a maf

PISNUOFF Guest

Quote Originally Posted by carsaremytoys View Post
    Cel is on because it doesn't have a maf
    If the MAF has been tuned out, the cel should be turned off in the programming also. It's very simple to do and doesn't make sense why the code would not be disabled. Have you read the fault codes with a scanner lately?

I haven't read the codes, I trusted the previous owner on this. He said there is a way to turn it off, I just haven't messed with the efi live yet.

Do you have the EFI live software?

seems odd to go thru all the trouble of tuning it without the MAF and then not doing the much more simple task of just switching the code to not report.

I have the software, I just need to find time, working a lot, which is good, because I may have a large bill with this lol

Quote Originally Posted by D3l7a3ch0 View Post
    HA! Success! Funny you mention the subs, this was 100% about your previous subs comment :-)

And I know exactly who I'm talking to! Youre robojesus!

WIN. Made my day

//I misspoke earlier. A timing light will flash with each revolution of the cam, not the crank.

C'mon guys, don't be like that--OP shouldn't suffer for my behavior--if you have something to suggest, say it!
    Exactly which previous subs post are you referring to " some of ago"? I think you have the wrong guy pal

----------

Quote Originally Posted by carsaremytoys View Post
    I haven't read the codes, I trusted the previous owner on this. He said there is a way to turn it off, I just haven't messed with the efi live yet.
    I agree. That would be one of the first things done with a speed density tune imo. It was either overlooked, or the tuner isn't worth a shit and probably broke the motor with his neglectful tuning.

Can't reply to your pm carsaremytoys it says your inbox is full.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.