went from run-flats to std. tires, now car feels very funny
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By odla
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, went from run-flats to std. tires, now car feels very funny in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I had RS-A's on the car, I just switched to Continental Extremecontact DWS. Now the car feels real strange, like ...
    bjv
    bjv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 cts-v

I had RS-A's on the car, I just switched to Continental Extremecontact DWS. Now the car feels real strange, like something is loose in the rear suspension. During moderate cornering I have the feel of oversteer even though I know that the rear tires are not slipping. I've never had this feeling with any car before. I know that runflats have stiffer sidewalls but this is so much different it can't be explained by a slight difference in sidewalls, and I don't recall the tires feeling that way right after they were put on.

I've written before about strange behavior with my TPMS system. I had one sensor that gave strange numbers sometimes so I bought a new sensor from the local dealer prior to visiting the tire store and had it installed during the tire replacement. Now that particular sensor reads 30 no matter what. As I drive around I can see pressures change in the other 3 tires due to them heating up a little bit, this one tire stays at 30. I checked pressures today at an air temp of about 75F and had 36 front and 34 rear. I bumped the rears up to 36 and the one sensor still stayed at 30.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Re: went from run-flats to std. tires, now car feels very funny

I'll bet your tire reading 30 PSI isn't actually reading anything. My guess is that tire is very underinflated, which is accounting for your instability. Have you tried measuring it with a tire guage? You should also measure all the other tires, because sometimes, their locations aren't programmed correctly, especially if it was done at a tire shop (not the brightest tools, tire guys).

You should also try the TPMS reprogramming routine: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/tprepro.html

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

check for any loose lugs. check tire pressures. If that is good then reset pressures. Look under the car and check for any loose nuts and bolts.
    mstrjon32 and mstrjon32 like this.

mstrjon32 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

When I bought my car there was a loose bolt in the rear suspension and as I went around corners the rear would occasionally "wiggle." It felt really strange but the dealership fixed it up in about 15 minutes.

Chris Cornett is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V Platinum Mist
    Thanks for posting the link Hamster. I was wondering what the trick was.

khpappas is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS 2.8L - Black/Black
    Its the nature of this tire. I have DWS also on a base cts and the sidewalls are soft and flex a bit. I came from a tire with a hard sidewall and noticed the issue you are having right away. They need a few miles on them and they somewhat break in a bit. Review tirerack.com user reviews about this tire and youll find. You may want to bump your pressure to help.

mackey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Black

seen good reviews on their wet performance, which is more important to me in a street application, but dry wasnt stellar.

i plan on doing the same swap from my GSAs but to the DW since it never snows in my area

bjv
    bjv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 cts-v

I wondered if one of my pressures was off but I checked them yesterday and has 36 in both fronts and 34 in both rears.

The tires have reasonably good traction when pushed hard, it is just when you are pushing a little bit in normal driving that the rear moves around a bit.

I live in a warm climate so I have no need for real winter tires, so there is an advantage to having a tire that works well in wet and cold. I figure if if I was going to have a situation where I needed traction it would be in wet and/or cold conditions. In dry conditions with good traction I'm less likely to need the difference between a good tire and a real good tire.

What can I do about the TPMS sensor? I'm thinking about doing the reprogramming step again to see if that matters, maybe reduce that one particular tire to a real low pressure and see if the sensor picks this up.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by bjv View Post
    I wondered if one of my pressures was off but I checked them yesterday and has 36 in both fronts and 34 in both rears.

The tires have reasonably good traction when pushed hard, it is just when you are pushing a little bit in normal driving that the rear moves around a bit.

I live in a warm climate so I have no need for real winter tires, so there is an advantage to having a tire that works well in wet and cold. I figure if if I was going to have a situation where I needed traction it would be in wet and/or cold conditions. In dry conditions with good traction I'm less likely to need the difference between a good tire and a real good tire.

What can I do about the TPMS sensor? I'm thinking about doing the reprogramming step again to see if that matters, maybe reduce that one particular tire to a real low pressure and see if the sensor picks this up.
    Then you should have never bought the DWS. That is an all season performance tire that is geared more towards snow performance than any other in the category. On the flipside, they aren't as good in dry performance. Get rid of them. If you want an affordable tire that is phenomenal in the rain, get the Hankook evo V12.

I had a set of Dunlop SP Sport Maxx put on my '04 to replace the runflats. The handling was "lively" to say the least. They eventually got replaced by a used set of runflats and then PS2s.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by khpappas View Post
    Its the nature of this tire. I have DWS also on a base cts and the sidewalls are soft and flex a bit. I came from a tire with a hard sidewall and noticed the issue you are having right away. They need a few miles on them and they somewhat break in a bit. Review tirerack.com user reviews about this tire and youll find. You may want to bump your pressure to help.
    You have the worst screenname ever...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.