I'm in the middle of a differential oil swap and need some advice!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By darkman
  • 2 Post By rand49er
  • 2 Post By JDB
  • 2 Post By WarrenMRogers
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, I'm in the middle of a differential oil swap and need some advice! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I was lucky and found some royal purple at AutoZone. I pulled the drain plug and let it drain for ...
    WarrenMRogers is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

I'm in the middle of a differential oil swap and need some advice!

I was lucky and found some royal purple at AutoZone. I pulled the drain plug and let it drain for 5-7 minutes until it wasn't dripping at all anymore. I put the drain plug back in. I pulled about 3.5-4oz of the limited slip additive into my suction gun then filled it the rest of the way. Now I'm about 1 1/5th quart of fluid back in and it's already overflowing. Should I drain it all and start over or am I okay? I was planning on doing a 10 minute drive to let the air bubbles work out and let it settle then top it off, but I'm concerned that I didn't get enough fluid out before I started.

FYI I read the instructional suggesting I should do 15-20 minutes of highway speeds before I did the swap and I well exceeded that so I feel I prepared adequately. I actually drove around for about 45 minutes prior because I had a work errand I had to run while I was doing that. Please give me some advice, I don't want to blow my diff right now. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: I'm in the middle of a differential oil swap and need some advice!

You are okay. It holds just a little over a quart. Put it back together and drive it. If the noise does not go away in a day or so you can drain out a shot glass worth of fluid and add more additive. (I never have any air in the differential and I don't think it is a problem unless you are running a cooler.)

Are you sure? The first write-up I read said to buy 3 quarts then most people said to just buy two and that would be too much but they recommended 1 3/4 quarts. I know I added 3.5-4oz of additive but I still feel short OK you're darkman I'll go for a drive.

I am sure it holds no where near 2 quarts because I always most of a quart left over (out the second quart). You just fill it to it runs out. If you think put in too fast and are getting splash back you can let rest (and drip a minute) and then attempt to add more slowly. If it takes more fine, but if it just drips out you are done.

Supplement: The official specification is 1.3 quarts which includes the additive.

Thanks! I let it set while I posted then went and tried to top it off more and it immediately overflowed. I'm out getting fitted for my friends wedding and checked for leakage and there's none. Is it worthwhile to top it off when I get home?

You can but if it were mine I would leave it alone for now. Check it again in a week or two.

Ah it's my DD so I don't have that luxury. I'll certainly take it easy this week.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenMRogers View Post
    Ah it's my DD so I don't have that luxury. I'll certainly take it easy this week.
    Clarification - by "leave it alone", I mean quit fooling with it and just drive it.
    rand49er, rand49er, Mn800r and 3 others like this.

Ahh ok. I can certainly do that. Ill report my findings. Thank you for your wisdom.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    Clarification - by "leave it alone", I mean quit fooling with it and just drive it.

The two times I've done my diff fluid, I put in 44 fl oz the first time and 42 fl oz the second time. Listen to darkman ... you're fine.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys

I put in 1 qt of Redline 75w90 (has additive already in it) and then about half or so of another and it peed out some. I think you're fine. No way is it near 2qts. 3 is just right out wrong.

Well I'm very happy with the results, my groaning rear is a thing of the past! Thanks for the help.
    HAMSTAR and HAMSTAR like this.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    3 is perfect...for 2 changes...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.