Transmission toasted - Please help a new guy with advice!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Transmission toasted - Please help a new guy with advice! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hello my fellow CTS V lovers, this is my very first post on the forums so I apologize if I ...
    Stalicone is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Transmission toasted - Please help a new guy with advice!

Hello my fellow CTS V lovers, this is my very first post on the forums so I apologize if I am redundant.

I have an '04 with the 5.7L. I just destroyed the counter-shaft in my transmission. My car has 95k miles on it, so it's no huge surprise. My mechanic pulled the trans and of course the OEM clutch needs to be replaced as well. So, this is the plan, and I wanted to get feedback from people who know lots more about the subject than I (I'm a neophyte when it comes to mechanics, after all I'm a computer guy).

I'm looking at buying a Trans from RPM Transmissions. My mechanic says getting a trans from RPM is probably a better option than paying to rebuild the stock trans. Should I get the level 4 or 5? (Yes, I drive my car hard, but not excessively so.) RPM recommended I go with a monster clutch as well. (Monster suggested their Level 2 clutch. They say it engages much smoother than the level 1 with its organic friction plate).

So my question is; Is that the right stuff? My car is pretty much stock, (I figure I'll at least disable the CAGS while the car is up in the air). Is there a better clutch? Better Transmission? Can you guys recommend anything that is better or will cost me less? Holy smokes, I'm looking at almost 5k to get my car back on the road. Any advice friends? My clutch is 11", right?

Thank you, and again - thank you for your patience with a newbie!
    D3l7a3ch0 and D3l7a3ch0 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Re: Transmission toasted - Please help a new guy with advice!

Get one of those TR6060s inside a T56 case. It's cheaper and better than a Level 5.

If you want a quality, inexpensive clutch for a CTS-V with under 500 RWHP, look up the F1 Racing LS7 MF (multifriction) kit on eBay. Goes for about $625 and comes with almost everything you need, including pilot bearing and slave cylinder.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

You cannot go wrong with RPM Transmission's products or advice. It is a far better option than having the existing transmission rebuilt. I would stick with Monster clutches below their Stage 3 levels based on the experiences of others reported on this forum. I would get the highest level RPM transmission I could afford.

Really? The TR6060 inside a T-56 case? I assume that will make it a straight swap into the car? Are there any other mods needed to make that work? Does RPM make that setup available? Thanks for your reply!

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...y/viewall.html

Almost all of the transmission shops that I've talked to are doing this. Example:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tra...stock-now.html

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

^^^ Sounds like a good way to go. Get as much as a grand credit on your T56, and that puts you low $3k range for a killer tranny.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

PISNUOFF Guest

Rockland Standard Gear makes a t56 with T6060 internals for our cars. You can specify 1st, 5th and 6th gear ratios. I called them before and the quote was about $3500. They have a core exchange program which lowers the price even more and you can even upgrade to a different material main shaft.

http://www.rsgear.com/

FoD
    FoD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    Rockland Standard Gear makes a t56 with T6060 internals for our cars. You can specify 1st, 5th and 6th gear ratios. I called them before and the quote was about $3500. They have a core exchange program which lowers the price even more and you can even upgrade to a different material main shaft.

http://www.rsgear.com/
    You remember what the core $$$ range was? I am going to need an upgrade soon...grinding from 1st to 2nd on a daily basis now.

PISNUOFF Guest

I just spoke with them again. It is kind of a hybrid T6060 and T56 called Son of Tranzilla. The cost is about $3250 plus an additional $750 core charge. If you don't replace the core it's $4195. I mentioned my plan of over 1000 rwHp and she said no problem handling that much.

They recommended for my power level and 3.73 diff ratio to change 1st gear from 2.97 to 2.66. There is also a $500 option of changing the 5th and 6th gear ratios from .74 & .50 to .80 & .63.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

...They recommended for my power level and 3.73 diff ratio to change 1st gear from 2.97 to 2.66. There is also a $500 option of changing the 5th and 6th gear ratios from .74 & .50 to .80 & .63.
    Just on paper, those ratio changes look like they crowd 2nd gear and 4th gear a bit, though they may indeed not in reality. What is 2nd gear stock?
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    I just spoke with them again. It is kind of a hybrid T6060 and T56 called Son of Tranzilla. The cost is about $3250 plus an additional $750 core charge. If you don't replace the core it's $4195. I mentioned my plan of over 1000 rwHp and she said no problem handling that much.

They recommended for my power level and 3.73 diff ratio to change 1st gear from 2.97 to 2.66. There is also a $500 option of changing the 5th and 6th gear ratios from .74 & .50 to .80 & .63.
    Eh, you'll break it.

PISNUOFF Guest

....I mentioned my plan of over 1000 rwHp and she said no problem handling that much.....
    Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Just on paper, those ratio changes look like they crowd 2nd gear and 4th gear a bit, though they may indeed not in reality. What is 2nd gear stock?
    1st was useless in my car with 500 rwHp. This person has 5th & 6th her ratios incorrect.

The guy at D&D Performance (they sell a $2900 Magnum TR-6060 hybrid) says that's a decent price. They charge about $3900 for their F-body version.

I wanted to thank all those who responded. I just got my car back today. RPM transmissions and Monster clutch (SNL Performance). Thanks guys! I went with the level 4 T-56 Trans and the Level 2 monster clutch. The car feels and sounds like its new! I love the response from the single mass 18 lb. flywheel. Fantastic! Shifts like butter, no clunking or grinding...
    So, in the last year, I have replaced the motor mounts, transmission/clutch/flywheel, transmission mount, differential mount, all four brake rotors and pads, HID headlight...Good heavens, no wonder the car feels so good with almost 100k on it!

D3l7a3ch0 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Black-on-Black

how much?

and what is your level 4 rated to handle?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.