Cruise control and other problems (also serves as an "I'm new" post)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Cruise control and other problems (also serves as an "I'm new" post) in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I just picked up a 2004 CTS-V last weekend, and I'm already having to go to the dealership. The cruise ...
    Destram is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Cruise control and other problems (also serves as an "I'm new" post)

I just picked up a 2004 CTS-V last weekend, and I'm already having to go to the dealership. The cruise control turns on, but will not set the speed. I took it to the dealership, and a code came back for a bad clutch position sensor. So I had them replace it today, and before I got it back they said they want me to bring it back in Monday for them to run more tests on it because they think the ECM may be bad (I have no clue how they came to that conclusion or how I would be able to verify that either).

After I got the car back, I had expected the sensor being fixed would fix my cruise control problem (after reading threads saying that could cause cruise control to not work), but it still isn't working. Anyone have any other ideas for what would cause it to turn on but not set?

Also, when I bought the car, there was no DVD for the navigation, so I bought one on eBay that was supposed to be genuine. I got it in the mail today and put it in. When the map finally comes up, it shows the arrow for my location, but the map is completely glitched. I'm sending the DVD back for a refund, but do you think it was a disc error or the navigation in the car is bad? I didn't have a chance to try it when I bought it since there was no DVD.

Any input would be appreciated. I'm in college living in an apartment with no tools or space to work on my car myself, so I'm kind of at the mercy of the dealership, and I'd prefer to not be completely ripped off (though at $94/hour for labor, that's gonna happen anyway).

Here are some pictures if you're interested:

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Cruise control and other problems (also serves as an "I'm new" post)

See attached.

Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

was the car tuned before you bought it? will cruise control work in 1-4 gear but not in 5-6 gear?

Or does the cruise control not work at all in any gear

I don't know if it was tuned or not. The cruise control won't set in any gear.

Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

You have a sensor issue, it could be that your tail lights consuming too much power, a bad clutch sensor, or even a bad brake sensor...

Tackle one problem at a time and keep at it till its solved

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Welcome, Destram! I'm sorry to hear about your frustrations, especially so shortly after purchase. If you ever need assistance working with your dealer, please don't hesitate to contact Customer Service! I'm reachable via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Update: The day after I got my car back, the CEL came back on, and the same code was coming up saying the clutch position switch was bad. I took it back to the dealership today, and now they're telling me the PCM is not grounding the clutch position switch, and that I need a new PCM. They're saying it's $975.55 for parts and labor. That's ridiculous. I'm a college kid with limited income, so there's no way I can do that.

Edit: And since the same code is coming back, I have no way of verifying whether or not the switch was bad in the first place and if I wasted $250 to get it replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Destram View Post
    Update: The day after I got my car back, the CEL came back on, and the same code was coming up saying the clutch position switch was bad. I took it back to the dealership today, and now they're telling me the PCM is not grounding the clutch position switch, and that I need a new PCM. They're saying it's $975.55 for parts and labor. That's ridiculous. I'm a college kid with limited income, so there's no way I can do that.

Edit: And since the same code is coming back, I have no way of verifying whether or not the switch was bad in the first place and if I wasted $250 to get it replaced.
    What code number are you getting?

Unhappy Re: Cruise control and other problems (also serves as an "I'm new" post)

PO833 before and after getting the clutch position switch replaced

Quote Originally Posted by Destram View Post
    PO833 before and after getting the clutch position switch replaced
    Attached the troubelshooting information for DTC P0833.

Based on that troubleshooting sequence as well as the one for the cruise control system it seems very likely that the clutch position switch did not need replacing. For one thing, a defective clutch position switch typically causes occasional failures to start which you do not report having.

Secondly, although ECMs do fail, it is relatively rare. It is far more likely that the connections to the ECM are oxidized and not making good connection. Oxidation, as opposed to rust/corrosion, consists of a thin coating of oxidized metal sufficient to block the low voltage on which computer controlled cars depend. It is easily removed.

Finally, if it is the ECM you can get used ones in the aftermarket for far less money. You would however, have to have it flashed by a dealer.

WesH8398 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V
    Unless its under warranty, save yourself some major money and either go to a reputable shop that's NOT the stealership, or just search and ask around the forums and learn to troubleshoot and fix the problems yourself. These forums have saved me thousands of dollars over the years. For example, I replaced my clutch position sensor last year for about $40 and 45 minutes of my time, thanks to info from here and ls1 forums. Compare that to the $250 you just unloaded on the same "repair"...

I'm trying to do that now. The PCM was nearly $700 at the dealership, and I can get it for $413 from O'Reilly including the flash.

I'm not that handy with cars, but I definitely want to become that way to save some money.

izcain is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 V

I would try disconnecting the battery and removing the pcm connectors first and cleaning them with some good electrical cleaner and make sure they have a good connection and all the pins look good and nothing is out of place. You can get the cleaner for cheap and it's worth a shot.

Worst case scenario you could get hooked up from someone over on LS1tech for cheap probably but I would only do that after you ran thru the diag portion like darkman posted and was absolutely sure you know where the problem is.

This is where there is a big difference between being a parts changer and being a Technician. Most dealerships are becoming more and more of a parts changer type. It is sad but I see it all the time here at the shop.

Thanks for the advice. I'll pick up some of the cleaner and give that a shot. If that's all it ends up being, then it's sad that the dealership would try to pull that crap on me.

izcain is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 V

Some more information.

This was what I was talking about in another thread on here about the wonderful micro relays that GM uses in their stuff! Also I would pull the pcm connector and ohm out the harness! Connector C1 Pin 35
    Attached Images

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.