it's getting bad. I can't control myself - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, it's getting bad. I can't control myself in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by OneFast V First what is a 6.6 kit??? I think you mean the CS 8.8 kit. Also ...
    D3l7a3ch0 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Black-on-Black

Re: it's getting bad. I can't control myself

Quote Originally Posted by OneFast V View Post
    First what is a 6.6 kit??? I think you mean the CS 8.8 kit. Also The LG coilovers are >$2700. If you want a relatively inexpensive coilover that still function fairly well buy the D2 coilovers (<$1000 for struts and springs). Also you would be surprised how fast a well setup V1 can be on the track, even relative to other cars out there.
    sounds like you have me dead to rights, huh.

I was a mechanic in a past life, and I do my own work. Along with the LS2/T56 drivetrain, my mechanic experience is what makes a used V a fair deal. By 6.6 I mean a 6.6L kit: 4" stroke, 4" bore... nice and square, installed under the excuse of a rebuild

I'm going to cut two 3.6 badges to make a 6.6 badge, and use it in place of the CTS badge.

//thanks for the D2 tip

SevillianSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

I vote Cadillac ATS for my "dream" daily driver and the V on weekends =)
    D3l7a3ch0 and D3l7a3ch0 like this.

JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys

You guys must drive long commutes to actually save $ having a commuter car versus just getting worse MPG with a V versus your commuter car. After the purchase of the car, insurance, maintenance ...how long does it take to save $?? How much do you actually save? Is that amount really worth driving some econ crap box? I couldn't do it.

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

There is a coilover kit from Ksport available as well. I believe they are <$1k, but my impression is that you get what you pay for. People seem to say that they do well on the road, but don't belong anywhere near the track. Which I take to mean they really wouldn't be what I would want based on how I drive.

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by JDB View Post
    You guys must drive long commutes to actually save $ having a commuter car versus just getting worse MPG with a V versus your commuter car. After the purchase of the car, insurance, maintenance ...how long does it take to save $?? How much do you actually save? Is that amount really worth driving some econ crap box? I couldn't do it.
    It is if:
    1. I don't want to put miles on my V that quickly just for commuting
    2. I enjoy modding the crap out of my V and don't mind if it is on jacks for a few days at a time
    3. I enjoy modding it so I don't have to rely on it to never have problems/break down
    4. I can prevent the major wear and tear associated with commuting (rock chips, interior materials wearing, more frequent fluid changes)

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Andringa View Post
    There is a coilover kit from Ksport available as well. I believe they are <$1k, but my impression is that you get what you pay for. People seem to say that they do well on the road, but don't belong anywhere near the track. Which I take to mean they really wouldn't be what I would want based on how I drive.
    I have run my D2's on the track and I will admit the spring that come with them are a little soft but I have firmed them up to 600/650 and plan to head back out to the track and see. remember they do have 32 levels of adjustment in the shocks. I have them pretty stiff

izcain is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 V

Quote Originally Posted by mstrjon32 View Post
    I am obtuse. Just because it's been in production for 50 years doesn't mean it's not horrible.

The V is my commuter.
    Your in the wrong corolla lol.

I may get a lot of bad looks for this but,

I drive 100 mile round trip to work in one. Two lane road middle of nowhere, apex corners,tons of switch backs and off camber corners, downhill mountain slopes you name it this road has it on it. Someday I will video a drive on it and most people would be shocked at this road and how people commute on it.

84 AE86 (corolla) is my weapon of choice for this. It is light, nimble, RWD, and is built for this kind of duty. Car is lowered with drift shock and spring setup and alignment, and a full poly bushing set. Not one for the power department but once it is wound up it will carve a corner better then most others. Helps to know the road as well. All while getting 35 mph to boot. only problem is tires last almost no time!

I love the V but it would get tore to pieces from this road as it is a harsh environment.

Look up AE86 in youtube and you will understand why I drive one as a commuter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKi_GVJbieg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g0r1fd7Shs

no wait i think you might be on to something. I don't have anything other than the V at the moment, but I might if it seems extra special.

nothing beats the Geo Metro as cheap a commuter, imo.

joshuajohn1981 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS V
    Truth. I'm looking for the right metro (hopefully XFI) for my commuter. 58mpg??? Sign me up. I'll just have to put an awesome stereo in so I can forget how boring driving is.

in the meantime, probably more likely, is one of these... (geo metros are hard to come by, and i'm sure that corolla is, too)

a porsche speedster replica built on a VW bug chassis and motor

my roommate left a job at the speedster shop recently, for a job working in oil fields near Dallas... the owner of the speedster shop is a great guy, and cuts his employees a no-resale deal on them...

I want to start working there in the summer

the downside to a 86 corolla or a geo metro is, I would be tempted to put $ into improving them

odla is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

I used to drive a geo prism gsi 5 speed 90 miles round trip as my dd. Had about 180k on it. It wasn't to bad.

That Porsche replica is pretty sick but I'm pretty sure you would be tempted to soup up that engine too. You'd want it to be as fast as it looks I'm sure.

it's light, and fast enough... I think one of the options is a 1000cc motor. The problem with making it fast is it doesn't handle. it's a boulevard queen.

the wide body option with the wheels are extra, and I don't think I would want them. Behind me in this pic is one of the more conservative packages

And I, personally, like this option better...

mstrjon32 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by izcain View Post
    84 AE86 (corolla) is my weapon of choice for this. It is light, nimble, RWD, and is built for this kind of duty. Car is lowered with drift shock and spring setup and alignment, and a full poly bushing set.
    A 1984 AE86 is a far a cry from a modern Corolla, so I'll give you this one.

253ctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by D3l7a3ch0
    no wait i think you might be on to something. I don't have anything other than the V at the moment, but I might if it seems extra special.

nothing beats the Geo Metro as cheap a commuter, imo.
    Haha that's my commuter. 94 metro xfi. About 50 miles per day and 25$ per week. WARNING driving a piece of shit commuter like this will save lots of miles on the V. However when you do drive it, watch out. Big difference lol

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.