Cure for your winter time blues - More CARNAGE!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Cure for your winter time blues - More CARNAGE! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; While trying to figure out why I was down about 50ish rwHp and cylinders are filling with oil. Found this... ...
    PISNUOFF Guest

Cure for your winter time blues - More CARNAGE!

While trying to figure out why I was down about 50ish rwHp and cylinders are filling with oil. Found this... It explains the loss of power but not the oil consumption and 20-25% leakdown in every cylinder.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Re: Cure for your winter time blues - More CARNAGE!

That's interesting that it's on two adjacent lobes but separate cylinders.

Cylinders filling with oil? WTF?
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys

How does that happen?

PISNUOFF Guest

The comp rocker arm trunion upgrade bearings are worn out. They grind pretty bad. I think they caused drag wearing out the cam lobes.

Found the source of the oil in cylinders. This is some sweet ring clocking. WTF???

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

How much open spring pressure on your valve springs?

NC-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Yikes! What are cam specs? and as Darkman asked, what's open pressure on your springs? What oil do you run? That sucks, but carnage is nothing new to you lol. You're not exactly the easiest on parts...

PISNUOFF Guest

244/254, .612/.622 113lsa. PRC .650 lift dual valve springs. I run amsoil 20/50 with high zinc.

Open pressure is 412 on exhaust. The more I investigated, the more I think the 5/16" pushrods flexed flexed/floated at high rpms. The lifter rollers and cam lobe damage point to that. Looks like its time for some 11/32" Manton's.

The heads are PRC LS3's that were assembled by them. I never double checked the installation of the components. Looking at them tonight it seams that the springs have different install heights. At least some of the valve stems sit higher above the springs.

Thanks for the info. Once you have Mantons you'll never want to use any other pushrod.

PISNUOFF Guest

Any recommendations for better lifters and rockers would be appreciated.

I am running Morel lifters based on their reputation which comes largely from their popularity in marine engines that run high rpm for sustained periods.

Yella Terra shaft mounts are popular but are limited in terms of open spring pressure - around 400 pounds if I recall correctly. I went with the Jesel Sportsman but they are not cheap - around a thousand. Comp 1500s are good and I have heard good things from CTSV-154 about the Crane Golds.

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

When I called Texas Speed to set up my 418 CID LS3 build, they recommended the Lunati Street Link-Bar lifters as the first step above the LS7 lifters. The next step beyond that is definitely Morel, as Darkman said.

If you really want to go past the Comp Cams upgrade (which I think you should still be fine with), consider Scorpion rockers (LS3 part here), which are apparently well-liked by the Corvette community.

izcain is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 V

Morels are great. I have messed with them alot on Gen1 sbc's along. Not sure about Gen III stuff but I have run the Isky lifters and they are awesome but I am not sure what they offer for Gen III stuff

Also Manton is a great company! I swapped to them recently for my drag cars and they are awesome!

NC-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Hmm, that cam isn't overly aggressive (aggressive lobe?).

The Manton's will be a nice upgrade and as for lifters the morels are definitely top notch, I've also run the comp link bars and luntatis with no issue (link bars are the way to go).

YT ls3 rockers do have a limit on spring pressures, try to find a rocker that has more bearing/bushing surface area than the stock rockers. I have seen many comp trunion upgraded rockers with a lot of wear on the bottoms (load area) of the trunions, on motors that are frequently run at high RPM and load (usually on higher lift/stronger spring motors than yours). The trunion upgrades have their place and provide nice security and piece of mind over the factory uncaptured needle bearings, but like everything, they have there limits. I know there are some decent rockers out there, just can't make any recommendations from first hand experience other than an all out Jesel shaft set up that we run on any of the Big high revving builds, but they are very pricy and require machining the head (overkill, even for you, lol).

The intake valve tips should all be the same height as eachother and exhaust the same as eachother, but intakes may be different than exhausts. If intakes or exhausts are different from eachother (inside the batch) then I would dis-assemble and check everything. Intake valves and seats should all be the same length and location in head. If I recall correctly, on the last set of PRC heads I used, my intake and exhaust pushrods differed by .050".

PISNUOFF Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    When I called Texas Speed to set up my 418 CID LS3 build, they recommended the Lunati Street Link-Bar lifters as the first step above the LS7 lifters. The next step beyond that is definitely Morel, as Darkman said.

If you really want to go past the Comp Cams upgrade (which I think you should still be fine with), consider Scorpion rockers (LS3 part here), which are apparently well-liked by the Corvette community.
    I can't believe you just quoted anything that Texas Speed said. I effing HATE them right now. I hope your shortblock turns out better than mine. My invoice didn't match the build sheet they provided me and neither matched the actual build. Maybe yours will have full compression and not burn 1 qt of oil every 500 miles after 4 months of running.

You think I should still be fine with the Comp Cams trunion upgrade? Absolutely not. If you could feel how bad some of these things are you'd be singing a different tune. I think once you get into the higher lift cams and higher rpms you just need something stronger.

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    I can't believe you just quoted anything that Texas Speed said. I effing HATE them right now. I hope your shortblock turns out better than mine. My invoice didn't match the build sheet they provided me and neither matched the actual build. Maybe yours will have full compression and not burn 1 qt of oil every 500 miles after 4 months of running.

You think I should still be fine with the Comp Cams trunion upgrade? Absolutely not. If you could feel how bad some of these things are you'd be singing a different tune. I think once you get into the higher lift cams and higher rpms you just need something stronger.
    Most people love their Texas Speed shortblocks. If this was a problem from the start, I hope you called them up. Otherwise, I'm not sure what your options are now.

Neither of our cams are particularly high lift. You're a little taller than me at .622" (I'm at .612"), but compared to something like the MS4 cam (.649" lift), they're tiny.

You seem to be bucking the trend here with the knock on the trunion upgrade. The only complaints I've found are people that have worn valve stems because of the roller-less GM rocker construction.

Edit: out of curiosity, how did that TSP shortblock differ from what you asked for, and how did you find out?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.