Group Buy Feeler: T56 Stage 2 Rebuild Kit
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Group Buy Feeler: T56 Stage 2 Rebuild Kit in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; All, After 8-10 months of waiting for Tremec to do another manufacturing run of first generation CTS-V T56 parts, I'm ...
    FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Group Buy Feeler: T56 Stage 2 Rebuild Kit

All,

After 8-10 months of waiting for Tremec to do another manufacturing run of first generation CTS-V T56 parts, I'm now seeing availability. As you may already know, the Tremec T56 transmissions in our CTS-Vs are unique, making some of the most important parts (e.g. gears, synchronizers, rings, and main shafts) incompatible with most other T56s out there.

On Monday, I plan on calling my contacts at various shops to price out a group buy on a Stage 2 rebuild (normally $950). If you're tentatively interested, let me know. Personally, I'd rather get this done at the same time I install my McLeod RXT, but I'm willing to hold off for a month or two if it means a better discount for all. That said, once these parts are gone, it probably won't be until next year until Tremec does another run.

Basically, regardless of whether you drive a stock-engined CTS-V, or you plan on taking your CTS-V above 600 RWTQ (an action that *will* grenade the stock transmission if you shift at those power levels) you can benefit from this kit. The primary advantages are:

1. Higher RPM shifting
    The newer, hardened 1-2 and 3-4 synchronizers and springs allow for shifting at 7400-7800 RPM, versus the standard T56 limit of 5500-6400 RPM (depending on clutch inertia).

2. No More Grinding
    If your transmission is grinding or "crunching" during shifting, your synchronizers are on their way out. You can bleed your clutch all you like, but it's only going to get harder and harder to shift until the entire transmission fails.

3. Stronger Transmission
    Unfortunately, we cannot upgrade the mainshaft on the CTS-V transmission to a 31-spline version, but we can upgrade the aluminum shift forks and nylon pads to steel and bronze, respectively, to prevent them from breaking and grenading the transmission during hard shifts.

Related Reading: Book by Robert Bowen. Preview link (Google books):

http://books.google.com/books?id=TsB...inding&f=false

Also see: http://forums.corral.net/forums/svt-...-t56-pics.html

T56 Service Manual: http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English...ice_Manual.pdf

Step-by-step build articles:

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=1877

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ssion_rebuild/
    mackey likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

253ctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Sorry to sound like a. Idiot (maybe I kinda am) but i don't have to pull my tranny n send it anywhere right? I just get the parts take it all to a tranny shop and pay the bill... I'm interested

Re: Group Buy Feeler: T56 Stage 2 Rebuild Kit

Quote Originally Posted by 253ctsv View Post
    Sorry to sound like a. Idiot (maybe I kinda am) but i don't have to pull my tranny n send it anywhere right? I just get the parts take it all to a tranny shop and pay the bill... I'm interested
    If you want to do that, you might as well buy a new Magnum transmission for roughly $3,000. This is for people that are willing to pull the transmission and work on it for a couple of days.

jclayc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

I'd be interested... it would have to be price-competitive with just sending the trans to Tick Perf

253ctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic

If you want to do that, you might as well buy a new Magnum transmission for roughly $3,000. This is for people that are willing to pull the transmission and work on it for a couple of days.
    You're saying it wouldn't be cost effective to let someone else do it? I've never messed with a tranny but I heard they're pretty complicated and I don't want to eff it up.

You're saying it wouldn't be cost effective to let someone else do it? I've never messed with a tranny but I heard they're pretty complicated and I don't want to eff it up.
    Then don't mess with it. Some places offer a mail order service. It'll take a couple of weeks to get it back and you'll pay through the nose, but that sounds like it's more your speed.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

You are not alone. I've rebuilt a lot of manual transmissions for both cars and motorcycles and I would not touch a T-56. Additionally, many GM dealers will go with replacement or remanufactured T-56s because the success rate on their own in-house rebuilds is not that good and correcting a mistake is expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    You are not alone. I've rebuilt a lot of manual transmissions for both cars and motorcycles and I would not touch a T-56. Additionally, many GM dealers will go with replacement or remanufactured T-56s because the success rate on their own in-house rebuilds is not that good and correcting a mistake is expensive.
    Considering the fact that four dealership techs with a GM Tech 2 wasted three hours of my time and $60 worth of fluid trying to bleed my brakes... yeah, I can see why they'd have a hard time with a transmission rebuild.

FoD
    FoD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V
    Let us know what you find out about price and turnaround time. Interested.

silentwig is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    Considering the fact that four dealership techs with a GM Tech 2 wasted three hours of my time and $60 worth of fluid trying to bleed my brakes... yeah, I can see why they'd have a hard time with a transmission rebuild.
    $60 on brake fluid? What kind of magical stuff was that?

Quote Originally Posted by silentwig View Post
    $60 on brake fluid? What kind of magical stuff was that?
    http://www.amazon.com/ATE-Super-Raci.../dp/B0007SN6F6

They went through three bottles of this. And they dripped it all over my engine bay and new Forgestar F14 wheels.

Where's "Cadillac Customer Svc" now?

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

I really like the idea of tougher synchros for 1-2 and 3-4 gears. Also, I've done a couple of Muncie four-spds back in the day, but that was, as I say, "back in the day." I'm at the stage of my life where I would prefer to drop the car off in the morning somewhere and pick it up at the end of the day after I write a check.

Sure would like to see how this goes, Fuzzy.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

mberisha is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 Black Escalade AWD & '06 Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    I really like the idea of tougher synchros for 1-2 and 3-4 gears. Also, I've done a couple of Muncie four-spds back in the day, but that was, as I say, "back in the day." I'm at the stage of my life where I would prefer to drop the car off in the morning somewhere and pick it up at the end of the day after I write a check.

Sure would like to see how this goes, Fuzzy.
    I'm half your years....and I feel exactly the same way.....drop off & pick up!

D3l7a3ch0 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Black-on-Black

the kit is all that? (in the picture?)

if so, definitely yes I'm interested. I have a grinding problem with third.

the only other options I've come up with are complete camaros... one sold in san diego with an auto trans swap and a barely used T56 that came out of it.. it was a beaut. sold for $1500.

but yeah, this is something that has been on my mind, even if the group buy isn't a deep discount, I'm interested yes, definitely.

how do i... subscribe to this thread... found it.

Greg O. is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 CTSV turbo, 04 XLR, 06 XLR-V

any sticky on r&r clutch and t56...thanks for a 2006 CTS-V

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.