Fan blade upgrade
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Fan blade upgrade in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Which fan pulls more air, is it the 5 blade on the left or the 7 blade on the right? ...
    Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Fan blade upgrade

Which fan pulls more air, is it the 5 blade on the left or the 7 blade on the right?

I would like to upgrade the fan blades so i am coolin a bit more. Last yr my car was over tempin and i am goin through every thing to find out why, the rad was flushed several times and the headers wrapped. So far the only issue is the fan...

Lookin forward to your replies

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Re: Fan blade upgrade

Did you try a low temp thermostat an adjusted fan speeds via tune?

AAIIIC is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

What radiator do you have?

In what conditions was it "over tempin"?
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

crankedupforit is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE

Naf? Is that you?

PISNUOFF Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crankedupforit View Post
    Naf? Is that you?
    Hasn't burned up in the desert yet?

Naf, I think you need a radiator....for your radiator. I can develop one for you. It will only be $42,793.67. You can send a deposit for 1/2 that amount to my Paypal account.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Lose the underdrive pulley and get an Evans water pump.

Naf

I did take care of the fan speeds for my new thermostat...

I have the ron davis rad, and regular pulley.

The over temp happens at low speeds with or without the AC on.

Its fine at 185F as long as i am above 60mph, any speed lower and my temp climbs to 230F

I have the new LS3 waterpump

Evans waterpump is way too expensive, and the sellers wont deal with me for i am overseas...

rand49er is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

With all the unconventional mods you've done, I'd say it's hard to know what's going on. What ambient conditions?
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Are you running a 160 or 180 tstat?

alradco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Are your fans on factory settings? What is your coolant/water mix? Ambient temps? We're slowly started working on a new dual fan kit for the CTS-V but really I'm not sure that there's much demand for the application.

Naf

Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR View Post
    Are you running a 160 or 180 tstat?
    I am running a 180 stat

Quote Originally Posted by alradco View Post
    Are your fans on factory settings? What is your coolant/water mix? Ambient temps? We're slowly started working on a new dual fan kit for the CTS-V but really I'm not sure that there's much demand for the application.
    I am running 180F settings, with 50/50 mix, will experiment with 33/67 coolant to water and see if that helps. I ordered both the 5 and the 7 blade fans, will experiment to see which is the best for my app.

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    With all the unconventional mods you've done, I'd say it's hard to know what's going on. What ambient conditions?
    Ambient temps are below 70F, thats why i am very concerned. Something is wrong and it has to be with the cooling system...

650$ for the evans water pump, DAMN!!!

AAIIIC is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Naf View Post
    I did take care of the fan speeds for my new thermostat...

I have the ron davis rad, and regular pulley.

The over temp happens at low speeds with or without the AC on.

Its fine at 185F as long as i am above 60mph, any speed lower and my temp climbs to 230F

I have the new LS3 waterpump

Evans waterpump is way too expensive, and the sellers wont deal with me for i am overseas...
    Naf - There was a thread recently over on ls1tech about coolant temps. That site loads horribly slowly here at work, so I can't go there to find the link. It was a very interesting thread, because there are some folks whose coolant temps behave like yours, and some folks whose coolant temps stayed low even in stop and go traffic. There was no clear trend that I could see as far as modified vs stock.

With my first engine, I don't remember my coolant temps ever going high. Even at track events, they'd get up to the 210-220 or so, and would come down immediately once I got off track - and that was with all stock cooling components. But with LS6 #2, my experience is basically like yours - even with a big radiator (Alradco in my case) and a cooler t-stat my temps will climb up into the upper 220s or low 230s. In my case, the breakpoint seems to be around 45mph. I don't understand it, but that thread on ls1tech showed that I (we) are not alone.

As for the Evans pump, are you sure it will even fit? When I was doing some searching for a pump recently, all the water pumps I could find were of the taller variety. Even Evans "short" pump will almost certainly not clear your fans with the thicker Ron Davis radiator. I have some pics and measurements at home, I'll try to remember to upload them later.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

This is a long shot but if you want to be absolutely sure your are not getting steam pockets in the system you could open the vents on the rear of the heads. Those vents used to be connected with tubing on LS1s, but are simply plugged on the LS6 based on the theory that the front vents sit higher than the rear and should be sufficient. Kurt Urban makes a kit for this, but it could be implemented with separately purchased components. http://www.kurturbanperformance.com/...or-system.html

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

Not trying to be a smart ass, but sometimes we forget to check the simple things.

Are the fans working? Any possibility that the tune is accidentally turning them off?

If the cooling system works fine at speed it seems to me that the issue is with the amount of air moving through the radiator, not an internal issue. Hope you get it figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by Andringa View Post
    Not trying to be a smart ass, but sometimes we forget to check the simple things.

Are the fans working? Any possibility that the tune is accidentally turning them off?

If the cooling system works fine at speed it seems to me that the issue is with the amount of air moving through the radiator, not an internal issue. Hope you get it figured out.
    I'm with this guy.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.