Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  PneuBird 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Why would they auction that without a "buy now" price? It's not like there is only one of them - they should be looking to sell lots, not trying to make a killing on one piece. Doesn't make any sense.

Doesn't matter, either. I am happy to have gone through a business that has a reputation for customer service and someone I can go back to if anything is wrong. Even if it was twice the price . . . sometimes you get what you pay for.

#3 ·
No to slam anyone but CAGS and CAGS eliminators have been around since the 92 C4 MN6, then in all F-body MN6, then in C5 MN6, C6, GTO, etc, etc. Same 2.2 kilo-ohm 1/2 watt resistor. That is the impedence of the solenoid that the CAGS eliminator emulates. That's all. Generally, they are purchased wholesale for $10 a piece from manufacturers like GMP Parts who make alot of GM connector stuff. $24.95 is the fair market price for a T-56 CAGS. You can also make your own...http://www.ls1.com/link_cags.html.

#7 ·
C-TX-V said:
BTW,
The ebay auction is by the guys who actually manufacture the peice you got from your trusted source. Like I said, not trying to jump ANYONE's business integrity...just the facts.
Not trying to jump you, but Rick buys OEM GM parts and hand assembles them. So unless the e-bay guy sits and makes those little black things for the General (and is from china?), I'd say his is no better.

#8 ·
Fair enough. I hope he makes a killing off his products. But without sounding too smug, I bought my first CAGS in '94. They've been around for ages and there is nothing special about a CTS-V version. GMPP is an OEM SUPPLIER to GM (i.e. they manufacture most of the harnesses and connectors in the car). And it is made in the good ol USofA. I was just trying to identify the Bakery and not the Baker.

-cool?

#10 ·
The ebay design is completely different from a design standpoint as it is two piece. The ebay version plugs the "smart" end into the harness which then has to be tie-wrapped somewhere to retain it. Then a completely separate plug is used to seal the connector on the transmission.

To my knowledge the one I manufacture is the first inline design on the market which makes it truly unique. There are no separate plugs or tie wraps required as it is self contained in one assembly.

The difference between the two is knowing how to design it without the separate plug. The ebay company either never thought of it or doesn't know how. If they did know, theirs would be built that way as IMO, it is obviously a superior design. When you buy a CAGS Eliminator from me, you are buying that design knowledge.

Subaru and Ferrari both build cars. Do they both provide transportation? Is there a price difference? Is there an engineering knowledge difference? You get what you pay for in life.

Making one yourself with a resistor and duct tape is the most cost effective choice in the short term. If the ebay version fills your needs and is the better solution for you, buy it. If you want the best engineered, unique solution, with a one year warranty and custom built by a knowledgeable V owner, I can help you with that. :cheers:

#11 · (Edited)
C-TX-V: I think that it is fair to give you some history, here. Rick was the first to come up with a CTSV-specific solution for the CAGS problem back in the summer, and he developed it and started the business with a strong amount of input from us. I think I have !CAGS serial number 003 or 004.

We all knew that LAPD and others had C5 and other CAGS solutions. But nobody at that time had anything for us. Rick made something that worked well for his own car, and then said "hey, anybody else want one?" And he made numerous improvements based on our comments and his assembly skills. So many of us here at the forum feel like we have some "ownership" (you know what I mean, Rick) of the StealthV solution, so even though the concept has been around for years, and there may be others that come along with CTSV solutions, they will always be "also-rans."

There are always cost competitiveness issues when one guy handmakes stuff in his shop, vs. a big mfg. company that can make a run of something on a Guangzhou assembly line (or any assembly line, but the point is better made with naming a chinese city!).

There have been one or two "spirited" discussions like this in the past; if you do a search on "CAGS" you should come up with plenty of interesting debate.

So anyway, welcome to the board, and please don't feel like we are a group of hostile flamers (not that I am implying that there have been any hostile flames on this topic). We are just ardent supporters of our homegrown custom CTSV parts supplier(s), and fellow CTSV owner(s).

Doug

#12 ·
Understood. No worries from me. Now a little background from me:

I have modified over 500 LS1, LS6 cars. Sold and installed hundreds of CAGS eliminators. Raced the heck out of C5's and f-bodys. Only ever had one CAGS eliminator fail.

...Used to be in the business. Glad I'm out! :thumbsup:

#13 ·
I purchased the !CAGS eliminator from Rick even thought it's priced at a premium for a few reasons.

1. Rick has proven to be commited to product development for the V.
2. Other board members have had nothing but positive feedback on his products.
3. If something goes wrong I know who to call, PM or email.

Honestly, if the person or people selling that !CAGS eliminator were better known on this forum I would consider buying their cheaper product. But I already have my StealthV !CAGS and it's working great.

#14 ·
Here is another view of the story.

I shoved a 2.2 ohm resister in my CAGS connector and duct taped it in there the day after I got the car in March. I posted the procedure on the forum back then. LAPDs part did NOT work and the reason is that the CTS-V uses a different connector than any other car (corvette or a camaro).

I also was able to find the connectors and source them for my own part (before Rick began selling his) at a retail store. No biggie.. couple bucks and a few hours work.

My first resister that was duct taped in fell out on a hot day... the one I built with my own connector (kinda like ricks) was 2 plugs and required a zip tie. It looked like crap and I dont think it would have passed dealer muster (they are tough around here).

So, I went and got a genuine !CAGS. For a few extra bucks and piece of mind you can buys Rick's. It's a more intelligent design and he stands behind is products....

Not to discount anybody's opinions, but if you dont want to pay that much, maybe Wal-mart will begin selling knock offs from china soon. HAHA

Reed
http://www.cadillacfaq.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.