Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  MLV 
#1 ·
What started out as an innocent visit to the dealer for service ended up costing me over $47,000!!!! :yup:

My V has just over 20,000 miles and I had a couple of issues. Car pulling to the right after my suspension washer recall, a noise under the dash from something loose, oil temp reflash and here's da' big one.......repair a nice little dent over the passenger wheel well. This was caused by an anonymous parking lot patron.

As we're writing the ticket for the various repairs I started talking to a sales person. Standard "how do you like the V" stuff. I mentioned that the Black car was killing me, trying to keep it clean. He suggested I trade mine in, and I just laughed. He didn't. I said, "well if you can keep me whole, I may just do that."

Off my V goes to be assesed. Now let me be completely honest here. The car has the usual rock chips and scratches, plus a fairly significant hit to the rear wheel well. I'm ready for the low ball and it comes. He offers $31,000. I say "I think I'll pass". As I get up to return to the service center, he asked me to hold on and gets the owner involved. Owner asks, what do I have to do to earn your business today? I explain that I buy and sell all day for living as well, adding that he and I can't get there from here. I explain that what I want for my V is too far away from where he's at. He says "try me". I want $36,000. He just stares. Asks me to meet him half way. I explain that my number is not a negotiating ploy, but a well thought out number that I can justify trading at. He looks left, right, up, down and then extends his hand. I figure it's to thank me for coming, but he says "we have a deal".

I won't make the story any longer but the final trade number came to $36,299 as I wouldn't budge on the processing fees. So I'm now the proud owner of my second V. 2005, Sunroof, Silver with tan interior. I kept my black mats which look great against the tan. I'm now at 159 miles and can't wait to get above 500 again.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah, platinum. That's what I meant. lol

I also asked for a Corsa exhaust at cost. I get the answer on that tomorrow.

#9 ·
I was surprised too at how little depreciation there was. I paid $45,5XX for the '04 CTS-V and literally drove the hell out of it for 20,000 miles. But I'm also sure that the dealer will have little trouble turning this car on his lot for say $38,500 with maybe a $500 investment in paint and body work.

#11 ·
Congrats. Aniy driveability difference? Drivetrain lash?

I may be down in Chesapeake on Christmas day (though to us Jewish guys, it is just known as "next saturday"). Maybe you can show it off at the Taco Bell if you get tired of opening presents.

Please make sure everyone on the forum hears about how much FASTER the platinum is than the black......

Doug

#12 ·
Congrats!!

10k depreciation for a limited production car isn't great, but that's trade in price. With a private sale, you could (obviously) get more. Makes me happy b/c I assumed I lost 10k by driving it off the lot.

Now if it can just keep that 30k-ish price for four or five years, we will be in business.

#13 ·
Doug,

The drive train is roughly the same. That is since I got the '04 fixed. I'm still below 500 miles so I'm babying it. It's really hard to say if there are any differences but I doubt it. I do like the fact that the On Star and Sat' antenna are integrated though. Didn't enjoy paying the $1,3XX GG tax very much. Went back to the dealer today with the check and my "old" V was already on the lot.

Everyone,

The best part was the interest rate. I never thought I'd beat the 4.25% that I got on the '04 BUT I DID! Rate started at 4.75%. .25% reduction for direct pay, .25% reduction for preferred checking, and .25% reduction for 10% down (which really the GMS pricing almost covers by itself). :)

G
#14 ·
That was one incentive that was pushing me toward an '04 vs. '05...gas guzzler. But when you buy MCO cars like Chesrown Cadillac sells you don't pay gas guzzler and transportation cost...almost a $2,000 savings.

3.99% for 60 months is readily available with a 700 beacon score.

Norm

#15 ·
Wow, great story. I paid the full sticker on my '04. I wonder if I could get a little more than you on mine? I have under 17,000 miles now without a scratch. While I don't think anything looks better than a pristine black car(especially at night), the Platinum looks better to me in most instances.

Not sure what my credit score is but I scored a pretty good deal on my financing. 3.99% at 60 months. Funny thing was, my credit was shot to heck until July of '97. Picked up the V in May. So some nasty stuff was still on my record. It's better to learn the hard way while you're single and stupid....and young.

#16 ·
My beacon score was 728 but when I told the dealer that I needed 4.25% or better they bawked. So off to the credit union. I also used the deed record option which really turns it into a home equity loan. This way the interest is deductible. I have this on my 2002 Tahoe as well.

G
#18 ·
Doug, your comments might be derogatory to some Christians but give me a chuckle reminding me of South Park on Comedy Central! :) LOL!

It is holiday season and you should respect other's religion, even if it does not agree with yours.

Norm

6104696 said:
Christmas day (though to us Jewish guys, it is just known as "next saturday"). Maybe you can show it off at the Taco Bell if you get tired of opening presents.
Doug

#19 · (Edited)
V-Max said:
Doug, your comments might be derogatory to some Christians but give me a chuckle reminding me of South Park on Comedy Central! :) LOL!

It is holiday season and you should respect other's religion, even if it does not agree with yours.

Norm
On second thought, I really don't have a response to that, except maybe lighten up. No disrespect intended.

I'm not about to engage in THIS discussion, so over and out on this topic. Happy Holidays of all types to individuals of all types.

Doug

#20 ·
6104696 said:
On second thought, I really don't have a response to that, except maybe lighten up. No disrespect intended.

I'm not about to engage in THIS discussion, so over and out on this topic. Happy Holidays of all types to individuals of all types.

Doug

Good for you Doug. You have nothing to be ashamed of, the comment by V-max was out of line IMO.

I am christian and not offended in the least, I actually chuckled. Whats this world without laughter.

Happy Holidays to you. Smoke a tire or two for me on Saturday ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.