System Lean bank 1 and 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, System Lean bank 1 and 2 in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Maybe someone can throw me a bone here. I re oiled my filter and then I got these codes, then ...
    silentwig is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Question P0171 and P0174 System Lean bank 1 and 2

Maybe someone can throw me a bone here.

I re oiled my filter and then I got these codes, then I used paper towel to soak up excess oil from my filter and cleaned the MAF with maf cleaner. Then I hooked it all up again and the check engine light goes away. It comes back on again and I clean the MAF again, but the codes dont go away so I cleared them with my scan tool. They came back again and Im not sure where to go from here. Is it time to start dropping bills on parts trying to find whats faulty after I check for vac leaks? I tried running an o2 sensor test, but it said its not supported. I dont have any hesitation or bucking car runs great like nothing is wrong.

Its a linfelter filter that was on the car when I bought it. I cleaned and re oiled it with K+N oil filter cleaner.

I attached a log file showing data from my car maybe someone who knows their shit can help me.
    Attached Files

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: System Lean bank 1 and 2

One thing i forgot to mention in my first post is I ran Seafoam though my brake booster line 1/2 container and other in fuel tank but i dont remember if my check engine light was on or off during that time.

Ok just to update. I checked for vac leaks with carb cleaner and found none. Checked injectors, lines, gasket and no signs of leaks. I resprayed both front and back of MAF with cleaner again. So my lean codes remain. Not sure what to do now.

And now I have hanging revs for some dumbass reason. It does it when I come to a complete stop..will go up to 2k and slowly come back down and it will not do it every time. I swear whenever I touch this thing something ****s up. So next step should be replace o2 sensors?

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

It still acts like a vacuum leak. Since you had the brake hose loose to Seafoam, is there any chance that it is not reattached completely? Also, that brake connects to the MAP sensor on the back of the intake. The MAP has an unused input/output which is supposed to be capped - is there a chance you dislodged that cap while working with the brake hose?

carlson_mn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Platinum 06 CTS-V, kooks, magnaflow

From what you described that is almost positively a vacuum leak. Check to see if there are any small cracks where the rubber may have stretched near the nipples that it connects to. Good luck and keep updated.

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    It still acts like a vacuum leak. Since you had the brake hose loose to Seafoam, is there any chance that it is not reattached completely? Also, that brake connects to the MAP sensor on the back of the intake. The MAP has an unused input/output which is supposed to be capped - is there a chance you dislodged that cap while working with the brake hose?
    I don't believe I dislodged the cap, but I will definitely take a look. I hooked the brake booster line back up, it was one of the items I sprayed too. Will go though it again. Excellent attachment. Thank you. I'm going to dig up some line schematic so I can specifically pinpoint every line. May have to rig up a smoke machine if I cant figure this out.

Just to update. So I examine every possible point of leakage after the MAF and I make a checklist what to spray so I don't miss one. I spray them all and I hear no changes in rpm on any. So I think to myslef "oh shit you've got to be kidding me!"

I go sit inside my car and the check engine light is now off? I must have scared it into submission.

My conclusion is the amount of oil on my filter the car must not like. The only thing I did different this time was completely removing the MAF and spraying the backside as well. If my light comes on again, I'm going to take the filter off and re oil it. I dont know about the hanging revs yet. I will drive it and find out today. Maybe playing around with the throttle plate yesterday messed with the tps sensor?

According to lingenfelter, they recommend LN4225 Cadillac CTS-V 35 grams. I presume this is for the new V.
    http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...egory_Code=C68

I will update this thread if the check engine light comes on again and will update with the steps I take to resolve it. Thank you.

Well check engine light came on again. Time to clean/reoil the air filter. The MAF is a finicky slut.

Thought Id add these pics. Let me know what you think of the MAF wire second from bottom. Looks kinda funky like burnt.

04CTS-Vnomiles is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V 47k miles,CORSA Exhaust,Premium Wheels, RIP '04 V
    Just thought I'd throw this out there you will probably be like yea I know. But are you making sure that you are giving the light enough time to go off after cleaning the MAF. Because it will take some miles (cycles) for it to reset the code and turn the light off.

Also, I had this same problem once. I thought it was a dirty MAF so I went to clean it and found a huge leak where my intake was sucking in air from behind the MAF.

Quote Originally Posted by 04CTS-Vnomiles View Post
    Just thought I'd throw this out there you will probably be like yea I know. But are you making sure that you are giving the light enough time to go off after cleaning the MAF. Because it will take some miles (cycles) for it to reset the code and turn the light off.
    Yep Im aware thanks.

Actually I was searching around and came across this
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-gt...171-p0174.html

Some interesting info here. I slowly update this as this car is just my play toy. If it was my DD id probably be annoyed.

If my codes go and come back again Im going to use the pdf darkman attached to really get down to business. I weighed the damn oil spray on a gram scale to make sure I put on the right gram amount according to leinenfleter. yeah i cant spell that dudes name and I dont want to learn

Ok just started my car up this morning and check engine light is off and i ended up putting on 29 grams of oil on the air filter. I weighed bottle before and after application. Should stay off hopefully. Now to wait for the hurricane to hit

Seriously f this intake. Im going to get stock air box. lean codes came back on again

DrChills is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04' CTS-V, 05' SRX V8 AWD

I had the same problem. I took everything apart and cleaned it. Turns out the top screw on the TB was just loose enough to allow a leak. So whenever the light comes back on I instantly tighten that down and problem solved.

Just to update. I solved my problem by replacing the air filter with the pre oiled one. I presume there is an oil weight between k&n and whats originally on the filter. If I would have purchased the cleaning kit s+b i probably would have never had this issue.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...8#.USwQzmdXq1s

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.