Friggin Nail but the Run Flats do work
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Friggin Nail but the Run Flats do work in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I got a nail..........a $500 dollar nail mind you. NTB charged me $500 big ones to replace a rear tire. ...
    MotorMouth is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Friggin Nail but the Run Flats do work

I got a nail..........a $500 dollar nail mind you. NTB charged me $500 big ones to replace a rear tire. They said that once you get a puncture...anywhere....or even drive on the run flat the tire is ruined.

My question is....is this true or just their BS to get me to buy an expensive replacement tire. My tires have 6,000 miles on them and are about half worn out. Can this tire be patched or do I have to get a new tire.............and if I get a new tire can I mix it with the other tires that have 6,000 miles on them without any problems............

Damn careless construction workers cost me...............

thx in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

drdsgolf is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Friggin Nail but the Run Flats do work

That is complete nonsense. I had a nail in one of my run flats. I have a good friend who manages a Goodyear store. He fixed it without any problem, the sensor continued to work, and the tire ran fine until the tread wore out. Did you look at the run flat once it was off the rim? It's not some outer space alien. It's a tire with enough steel in the sidewall that you can take a hatchet and chop a hole in the side and it will still hold up a car. Nothing fancy.

ds

Vrocks is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Exclamation Re: Friggin Nail but the Run Flats do work

Quote Originally Posted by MotorMouth
    I got a nail..........a $500 dollar nail mind you. NTB charged me $500 big ones to replace a rear tire. They said that once you get a puncture...anywhere....or even drive on the run flat the tire is ruined.
    The Tire costs $336 @ tirerack.com and the labor rate @ our dealership is $90/hr. So $500 bucks is a bit high to begin with... It's total BS (for them to say that) to replace the EMT if the puncture wasn't in the sidewall or close to it. One of my OEM EMT CTS-V tires picked up a nail, I had the hole plugged and the tire was fine. Basically, If you're not racing your CTS-V (130mph+) the tire doesn't need to be replaced. A week or two ago some else posted this: "...the speed rating of the tire drops by 1 if it's patched / repaired...".

ctsvett is offline FAQ is your Friend

I patched a hole as well..

I was the one who posted the speed rating trick (drop by one for each patch- no more than 2 patches per tire). Since our tires are z and 168 is in V territory (as I recall from memory), even losing a speed rating makes no difference.

YES, your tire can be patched, you are getting fed a line.

One caveat: If the puncture is in the sidewall or close to the shoulder of the tire, then its marginal and a patch may not work (definintly if the sidewall is touched). Make sure they patch it right. Some young punk who does not know what he is doing can screw it up and then you really do need a new tire.

Reed
    http://www.cadillacfaq.com

ctsvett is offline FAQ is your Friend

HOLY CRAP... good for goodyear...I asked the question to them last night and here is their response:

A Goodyear or Kelly - Springfield manufactured speed - rated tire may be repaired to correct a commonly repairable nail hole punture in the tread are ONLY. Proper materials and procedures must be applied. INCORRECT OR IMPROPER REPAIR WILL RESULT IN THE TIRE NO LONGER BEING SPEED - RATED BY GOODYEAR, and the warranty may also be affected. Tire speed 130 mph (210 km/h) and over (H,V,W,Y,Z) symbols. Only one repair is sugested, to maintain speed-rating, with a Max. repair diameter of 1/4 in. (6mm).

So, bottom line, You keep the speed rating with one fix.

Reed
    http://www.cadillacfaq.com

KJTROT is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I also had a nail last week. The TPS works fine with all kinds of weird warnings about pressure. Goodyear store fixed the hole with a patch for $35 and took about 45 minutes.

Now if we can jsut get them to get a tire that will last for more than about 8 to 10 thousand miles. The thought of spending $1400 to $1500 for a set of tires that lasts less than a year is crazy. With no spare they sort of have you between a rock and a hard spot since if you use fix a flat it will ruin the tire pressure sensors.
    That's what I call some great engineering! GM must own goodyear.

RobzBLKV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Interesting. I have heard many times before that any significant mileage on a runflat with no pressure weakens the sidewall. Therefore, you don't have the same type of distance ability if you get another flat and they recommend you replace the tire. I have no idea if it's true.

I do know that I wouldn't replace one tire. If you are going to replace one, replace two (i.e. both rears or both fronts). If you rotate, that might not work as well, I suppose.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.