Rubbing, Scraping Noise from Rear End???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Rubbing, Scraping Noise from Rear End??? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; V is at the dealer (again) because of a rubbing, scraping noise I get when I turn the wheel--especially at ...
    sefa01 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Unhappy Rubbing, Scraping Noise from Rear End???

V is at the dealer (again) because of a rubbing, scraping noise I get when I turn the wheel--especially at low speeds and it's most noticeable when I first drive the car in the morning.

The dealer now says that it thinks its the rear differential. Didn't sound like it was coming from there (I thought it was from the front). But it could make sense since the first time I noticed this was when I got my car back from having the differential replaced by the dealer.

Anybody have anything similar???

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

Re: Rubbing, Scraping Noise from Rear End???

Did they put the limited slip additive in the new diff? If not (or not enough) it will make a noise like you are describing. In an empty parking lot, do some figure 8s - it'll make a ton of noise if it needs additive.

jdodman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS V (Then). 07 STS-V (Next), 11 CTS-V (Now)

I have the same thoughts as Stealth. I had my rear end diff fluid changed, the mechanic forgot to put in the additive and after a 200 mile round trip to the Jersey shore, my rear had all the same symptom's you are describing.

Some believe you can just throw in some more additive and it should be OK, but mine did not. They changed the diff fluid again, put in the additive and the car got progressivly worse. Thats when the dealer ordered a new rear...

Someone did establish that once the rear is run without the additive, for some period of time, damage does occur.

Anyway, I got a new rear and all noise, grinding problems went away...

MLV
    MLV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V, Maggied '05 CTS-V, '07 STS-V

I had a similar experience when the service department forgot the additive. The noise during slow turns was the same as you describe and after about 200 miles they ended up having to replace the rear differential.

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

If the V doesn't have the limited slip additive, the clutches inside the differential basically grind themselves to pieces. That in itself isn't the end of the world as it would just cause the classic "one-wheel-wonder" during a burnout. The downside is all the extremely hard carbon clutch material is floating around in the differential lube, eating away the gears and bearings.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.