Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Rubbing, Scraping Noise from Rear End???

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  StealthV 
#1 ·
V is at the dealer (again) because of a rubbing, scraping noise I get when I turn the wheel--especially at low speeds and it's most noticeable when I first drive the car in the morning.

The dealer now says that it thinks its the rear differential. Didn't sound like it was coming from there (I thought it was from the front). But it could make sense since the first time I noticed this was when I got my car back from having the differential replaced by the dealer.

Anybody have anything similar???

#3 ·
I have the same thoughts as Stealth. I had my rear end diff fluid changed, the mechanic forgot to put in the additive and after a 200 mile round trip to the Jersey shore, my rear had all the same symptom's you are describing.

Some believe you can just throw in some more additive and it should be OK, but mine did not. They changed the diff fluid again, put in the additive and the car got progressivly worse. Thats when the dealer ordered a new rear...

Someone did establish that once the rear is run without the additive, for some period of time, damage does occur.

Anyway, I got a new rear and all noise, grinding problems went away...

#5 ·
If the V doesn't have the limited slip additive, the clutches inside the differential basically grind themselves to pieces. That in itself isn't the end of the world as it would just cause the classic "one-wheel-wonder" during a burnout. The downside is all the extremely hard carbon clutch material is floating around in the differential lube, eating away the gears and bearings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.