Replacing the inner tie rod ends
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Replacing the inner tie rod ends in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I think I've narrowed my noise down to the inner tie rod, which is a shame because it looks like ...
    mstrjon32 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

Replacing the inner tie rod ends

I think I've narrowed my noise down to the inner tie rod, which is a shame because it looks like it's going to be an unpleasant job. Has anyone done the inner before, and if so do you have any tips for me? I found some instructions but they're pretty second-rate.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Replacing the inner tie rod ends

See attached.

darkman: Thanks man. I'm hoping someone will chime in to let me know if this is possible to change without disconnecting the intermediate shaft and dealing with all that other nonsense. I feel like I should be able to do this without taking the entire system apart...

I've been agonizing over if I should replace the inner tie rods or if I should just buy a whole new rack. A new rack is only $200 more than buying both tie rods, and is probably going to be just as much of a PITA to replace. Does any one have any opinion on whether or not this is a good idea?

Also, the service manual says that I need some kind of a tool to lock the steering wheel center. Is it not adequate to just use it's internal locking mechanism to hold it when I disconnect the intermediate steering shaft?

This job looks terrible, BTW.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Thanks darkman. I saw that second post but hadn't seen the first. At this point I think I'm going to go ahead and leave the rack alone and try and to just change the inner tie rods, though I have a suspicion that I'm going to come to regret that decision. I've been holed up sick all week but I took the car out for a drive earlier and the steering feels perfectly tight and fine, it's just this damn creaking noise that both sounds ghetto and has me concerned about something breaking.

I'm pretty annoyed too because I wanted to take the car to the track this Saturday and I still don't have this damn problem fixed.

rizico is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Mstrjon32, did you ever do this job? I'm about to undertake the inner tie rod change on the passenger side of my wife's 07 CTS (base).

eagle-co94 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 V, '81 DMC-12, '85 Mini, '96 Impala SS, '07 MSRT8...

I'm in the middle of this right now and my inner tie rod came with thread locker. I presume I'm supposed to put it on the threads where it attaches to the rack? Once it's done I'm not pulling it apart again (unless someone hits my car again).

xbladr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Eagle I am about to do the same thing. Do you or Darkman have the write up on this? I am only doing my front right and i already have the outer tie rod off and disconnected

eagle-co94 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 V, '81 DMC-12, '85 Mini, '96 Impala SS, '07 MSRT8...

PM me your phone number and I'll call you. I think I found a write up for an SRX here on the forum through a search and it's essentially the same thing. The only issue I had was that my inner tie rod didn't come with new clamps.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.