Reverse Lockout Ground - ECU? - help.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Reverse Lockout Ground - ECU? - help. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hey Guys, I rebuilt my transmission, put it in, but the reverse lockout is not disengaging. I removed it, tested ...
    67electro is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Reverse Lockout Ground - ECU? - help.

Hey Guys, I rebuilt my transmission, put it in, but the reverse lockout is not disengaging.
    I removed it, tested it with a 9v battery, it Works, tested voltage at the car's plug, it has 12 v. so I was really scratching my head.
    I tried a little test light that came with my tool kit, stuck a paperclip into the plug for the ground side, touched the sharp end of the test light to the red, and no light, move ground of test light to the chassis ground, and it lights up.

this is with the key on. but engine not running. it should disengage the reverse lockout correct? the wires look good, the plug looks fine as well.
    am I missing something? I hear the ground goes right to the ECU, is there a fuse or Relay somewhere?

Thank you all.

-John

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Reverse Lockout Ground - ECU? - help.

The reverse lockout should be off anytime the speed is less than 3 miles per hour.

slowbitchV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Loves it when people ask why my Cadillac is running so ROUGH

I have a PDF of all wiring in the car. If you think it will help you I can email it to you.
    Jarrett.

Darkman: only when the ignition is on. correct?

Slowbv: it couldnt hurt, I would appreciate it. john at andcomp.com
    Thank you.

no matter what I do, engine on, stopped, the car will not disable the reverse lockout. further testing shows the sillinoid to be fine, and when it is out of the transmission, the transmission goes into reverse with ease.

Thank you.

no matter what I do, engine on, stopped, the car will not disable the reverse lockout. further testing shows the sillinoid to be fine, and when it is out of the transmission, the transmission goes into reverse with ease.

Quote Originally Posted by 67electro View Post

Thank you.

When the ignition is off, you should be able to shift into any gear including reverse.

With the car parked, and the ignition is on you should be able to shift into any gear including reverse.

At speeds above 3 mph, the ECM uses the solenoid to lock-out reverse. Obviously, this requires the ignition to be on.

slowbitchV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Loves it when people ask why my Cadillac is running so ROUGH

Ok, as soon as I get home from work today I will get that to your inbox.

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    When the ignition is off, you should be able to shift into any gear including reverse.

With the car parked, and the ignition is on you should be able to shift into any gear including reverse.

At speeds above 3 mph, the ECM uses the solenoid to lock-out reverse. Obviously, this requires the ignition to be on.
    the reverse lockout solenoid is normally closed, (spring loaded) so only when the ground and power are both active does it retract.. so when the car is off and (key is in the off position), (no power in the cars systems) its not supposed to let you into reverse.
    at the time I was testing it with the key turned, but engine not running, I have now tested it with the engine running, (open headers in garage, sounds great btw) and it still wont retract. the ground is not being made from the ecu.

SlowbV: thank you!, I look forward to checking it out.

On my car, I can access reverse with no key. In fact, I had the battery out of the car this morning do some other work, and I could still access reverse. So, I believe that whenever the car is off the reverse lockout (Reverse Inhibit Solenoid) is OFF. I cannot access reverse once the car is moving.

According to the Service Manual:

"When the vehicle speed is greater than 5 km/h (3 mph), the solenoid is commanded ON, inhibiting shifts to Reverse. When the vehicle speed is less than 5 km/h (3 mph), the solenoid is commanded OFF, allowing shifts to Reverse."

Darkman: Thank you.

I am confused now, because I know for a fact that the solenoid is normally closed. when I apply voltage the pin retracts. when I disconnect the power, the spring inside quickly extends the pin into the locking position. I have also read this is how it is supposed to work.

I realize you are copying and pasting from a service manual.. but I seriously think its wrong. proof is in my hand, its a spring loaded plunger/pin that is normally in the locked (extended) position. and only when I apply power and ground does it retract.

I am hoping its just a wire, perhaps I damaged something with the transmission jack, got a wire caught or something and broke the ground wire..

bolide is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2006 V

if you have the reverse lockout assembly off the car, (the whole assembly meaning solenoid and right angled plunger), the right angle plunger should be easy to push in. If you apply power but no ground, again the plunger should be easy to push in. This replicates the conditions present with the ignition off and with the ignition on but car not moving. If you apply power and ground, the angled plunger should be very hard to push in, if you can do it at all with your bare hands.This replicates the condition present with the car moving faster than 5 km an hour.
    If you have the solenoid separated from the right angle plunger, the pin will be in normally and pops out with power applied.

PISNUOFF Guest

Do you have the correct harness connector plugged in to it? I believe it's the temp sensor one that is exactly the same. I have mixed them up before. If you look in the service manual, it will tell you what color wires are for which sensor.

yeah. actually I think you're thinking of the temp sensor and the speed sensor getting swapped. the lock out plug is on the other side (Driver side) of the trans, and is at the end of the run, Im pretty sure cant get it mixed up due to the way the harness is configured, and the plug is a little larger then the others. I am going to run up the wire and poke into the insulation to test, I am wondering if I pinched the wire with my transmission jack..

All this fuss, and I just needed to pull the battery cable off, wait a few min. and now it works perfectly. when I turn on the key the plunger retracts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.