How to diagnose a bad wheel bearing?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By greg12m3
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, How to diagnose a bad wheel bearing? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I've got a groaning from the right rear on right hand turns. It used to be just right hand turns, ...
    fre1102 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None yet

How to diagnose a bad wheel bearing?

I've got a groaning from the right rear on right hand turns. It used to be just right hand turns, and went away when straight. Now it's started when going straight, too, and only goes away when turning left.

I've been under the car and the CV boots look good. I can't replicate the noise enough on stands to locate the source when under the car. Is there any other way to diagnose this short of disassembling the hubs?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: How to diagnose a bad wheel bearing?

See attached.

AAIIIC is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Jack that corner of the car up, grab the tire and 12 and 6 o'clock, and try to wobble the wheel/tire back and forth. If there's any movement at all, the wheel bearing is bad.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

fre1102 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None yet

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    Jack that corner of the car up, grab the tire and 12 and 6 o'clock, and try to wobble the wheel/tire back and forth. If there's any movement at all, the wheel bearing is bad.
    I did that--no movement at all 'in and out'--just some rotational play, like there's play in the diff.

rand49er is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Oh, there's play in the diff, all right. EVERYBODY's got play in their diff.

Except maybe lollygagger8.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

yooper is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV and Caddy powered Chevy

Quote Originally Posted by fre1102 View Post
    I've got a groaning from the right rear on right hand turns. It used to be just right hand turns, and went away when straight. Now it's started when going straight, too, and only goes away when turning left.

I've been under the car and the CV boots look good. I can't replicate the noise enough on stands to locate the source when under the car. Is there any other way to diagnose this short of disassembling the hubs?

Thanks in advance.
    I like to use an infra red temp gun and compare temps side to side once the drivetrain is warmed up. Check your rear axle nuts for a loose axle nut causing vibration. Rear axle nuts should not be reused. Always replace with new if you can thread on by hand!

Light weight after market CV boots have been known to expand under continuous high speed operation and will throw out the grease which should be quite visible and could cause a vibration.

greg12m3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ls6 cts v

There doesnt have to be movement in the bearing for it to be bad in my experience. I just replaced my fronts and they had no play. Only noise when traveling above 20mph and turning(left made it louder, right made it quiter). I replaced both fronts with timkens for 300$ and the noise disappeared.
    yooper and yooper like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.