Looking for a shop to install a LS7 Clutch
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Looking for a shop to install a LS7 Clutch in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I'm in Whittier Ca and looking to get my Clutch swapped out for the Ls7 clutch in my 2005 Cts-V. ...
    QwkRhino is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Post Looking for a shop to install a LS7 Clutch

I'm in Whittier Ca and looking to get my Clutch swapped out for the Ls7 clutch in my 2005 Cts-V. I'm looking for a recommendation on a shop who can do it in my area and about how much will it cost? I have all the parts ready to be installed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Looking for a shop to install a LS7 Clutch

FYI - the standard flat rate allowance to remove and replace the clutch system is 3.7 hours. Is been my experience however, that many shops charge up to 6 hours for this job. Shop rates, of course, vary among areas and by type of shop.

jtcu is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS V

I was able to replace mine with basically no mechanical experience
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...h-install.html
    was the guide I used... If you decide to do it yourself you can send me a PM and I can give you some tips that I learned that weren't in the guide!

Bump
    Attached Images

jacobyja53 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Sorry, can't help you with shop advice. I did my own replacement. As transmission removals go, this one was not hard except for one issue: I could not get the bell housing to clear the top of the flywheel to removed it from the car. I had to remove the bolts from the pressure plate and flywheel through the hole in the back of the bell housing so all (bell housing, flywheel and clutch) dropped out together. The LS7 flywheel is about half the thickness of the V flywheel, so it re-installing the bell housing was not as hard. Make sure you get the LS7 slave cylinder, too. it is a little longer than it should be for installation in the V, but it works. The take up is only about an inch off the floor.
    The replacement solved a serious vibration problem that was getting worse by the day. And the lower mass helps acceleration.

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust

Hey quick... I see you are in southern california. Check out the motorgen.Com forums. There are all sorts of guys there who can.point you in the right direction in LA county.

Bump

Ok I found a shop to do my clutch but he is telling me he has to remove the supercharger to access the top trans bolts. Can you do a clutch change with the Maggie on it or does it have to be removed? He is afraid he will damage the supercharger if he tilts the motor and drops the trans.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Had mine done (LS9 twin disk kit), and the maggie stayed right where it is. You're being hosed.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Really that suck he charging $460 originally to do the job now wants $340 to R&R the supercharger.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by QwkRhino View Post
    Really that suck he charging $460 originally to do the job now wants $340 to R&R the supercharger.
    I had a few things done when the clutch was installed so don't have a breakdown of what I paid for clutch alone, but $460 is about right. Maybe he's just being very cautionary. 'Course, that's easy when it's on your dime.
    QwkRhino and QwkRhino like this.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

ApacheDriver is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

I JUST redid my clutch. Mine has a maggie also. The supercharger does NOT need to be removed. It is harder to get the top two bolts of the bell housing out but with some patience, it can be done. Tilting the motor, IMO, is just asking for more issues and TBH the impatient way to go. Find another shop!

Thanks for the info guys. He emailed me earlier because he has never done a V1 with a supercharger. He told me he called Magnusson and they advised him to remove it. He said he would do it without remove it but if it broke it would be on me. So I said go head and remove it. Maybe I will call him in the morning to see where he is on the project and tell him to not remove it.

pato is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V

It is definitely much easier to do the top bolt from behind the intake, but it's not impossible to do it from underneath.
    Just might take a little more patience and a lot more cursing.
    QwkRhino and QwkRhino like this.

Well I just let him pull the supercharger. I was already at his shop and he started the project. Not like I could just tell him put it back together and not pay him and then find another shop. He has been nothing but professional with Emails and pics. So I'm just letting him play it safe.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.