Maggie Leaking???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Maggie Leaking??? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Car started leaking ntifreeze yesterday from the rear of the engine by the bellhousing. To make a long story short, ...
    kjr6306 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, Maggied.

Maggie Leaking???

Car started leaking ntifreeze yesterday from the rear of the engine by the bellhousing. To make a long story short, I pulled the wiring for the maggie HEX pump and it stopped leaking. Any ideas as to how water can be coming out of the back of the blower? Anyone else ever have this problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

soulja is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Sedan 6MT, (Sold) 05 Maggie & 8.8 V1.

Re: Maggie Leaking???

Hmmm, most of the hosing is up front, so I could only think that the intercooler on the actual supercharger has a leak or something? If it is the intercooler, I sure wouldn't drive it as coolant could possibly enter your engine.

Originally thats what I thought as well. I currently have the pump disconnected so no coolant is running to the blower. I am pretty sure I can drive it this way til I figure out what is up. I just cant figure out how the water is getting from the IC to the back of the engine. I thought the blower was sealed with gasket to the top of the motor and the IC is a seperate unit inside the blower. The only thing I can think that is happening is the IC sprung a leak and the water is leaking on to the valley cover and rolling to the back of the engine. Just pulled up the maggie instal instructions and it looks like the only area that is sealed is the intake manifold gasket area.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

I'm probably overly cautious, but I'd check your oil and make sure it doesn't look like Yoohoo (head gasket) If it looks ok, then yank that Maggie off and replace some gaskets.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Heard of similar thing from ronr. He has one of the original maggie installs (3.0" pulley and all), and he was finding coolant some place where it shouldn't be.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

I'm planning on pulling the blower tomorrow. Anyone have a part # for the intake gasket or is the old one reusable?

ronr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Heard of similar thing from ronr. He has one of the original maggie installs (3.0" pulley and all), and he was finding coolant some place where it shouldn't be.
    Yep, my pump is currently disconnected and system drained because I tried putting some fluid in and the exhaust started blowing a cloud of white smoke. I've actually been running this way for over a year because I haven't had time to pull the blower off and take a look but obviously the HEX is leaking inside the blower and allowing coolant into the intake track.

Personally I think it's just my car's way of saying I need to upgrade to a 2300
    '04 Platinum, Maggie, Corsa cat back, StealthV tune, UUC short throw shifter, Autovation Pedals, Lingenfelter CAI, GC coilovers, Hotchkis sway bars, UUC braided brake lines, Lingenfelter LS9 clutch, Level V RPM Transmission, Creative Steel engine & trans mounts, LSA block with forged bottom end, RHS heads, Comp valve train, ATI damper, Kooks

Ronr....I ws hoping you saw this thread. Do you think the water was getting in to your intake or was it just rolling of the valley cover and hitting your exhaust?

Quote Originally Posted by kjr6306 View Post
    Ronr....I ws hoping you saw this thread. Do you think the water was getting in to your intake or was it just rolling of the valley cover and hitting your exhaust?
    Definitely intake. The white smoke was bellowing out of the exhaust behind the car, not in the engine compartment. I was just glad that I didn't hydraulic the cylinders.

Early after installing my maggie I used to hear a rapid knocking noise under hard acceleration. Kinda like a fan blade hitting something. Since I had a broken motor mount I wasn't really sure where it was coming from or what could have been hitting. That noise is gone now and my current hypothesis is that something (likely the lobes in the blower) was interfering with the HEX and wore a hole which caused the leak. The leak must have been slow at first and just sprayed coolant until empty. I first noticed the problem when the circulating pump, running dry, had sucked down the hoses to where they were completely flat.

The car still makes great power and there are no funny noises so I won't know what's really going on until I get it torn apart. I'm not sure exactly when that will be since I'm not getting back Stateside very often but if I find lobe damage I probably will look seriously at doing a 2300 upgrade.
    '04 Platinum, Maggie, Corsa cat back, StealthV tune, UUC short throw shifter, Autovation Pedals, Lingenfelter CAI, GC coilovers, Hotchkis sway bars, UUC braided brake lines, Lingenfelter LS9 clutch, Level V RPM Transmission, Creative Steel engine & trans mounts, LSA block with forged bottom end, RHS heads, Comp valve train, ATI damper, Kooks

I pulled mine yesterday. I could not find any leaks in the HEX. I took the HEX off the blower pressurized it under water and did see a single bubble....WTF? RONR-I am pretty sure your lobes did not wear a hole in the HEX. There is no way that could of happened the way it is put together....but dont let that stop you from doing the 2300!

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

a leaking magnacharger? you sure it isn't a whipple?

Quote Originally Posted by kjr6306 View Post
    I pulled mine yesterday. I could not find any leaks in the HEX. I took the HEX off the blower pressurized it under water and did see a single bubble....WTF? RONR-I am pretty sure your lobes did not wear a hole in the HEX. There is no way that could of happened the way it is put together....but dont let that stop you from doing the 2300!
    That's encouraging. I wasn't sure how it was put together. Hope you find your leak and thanks for dashing my 2300 dreams!

CTSV_510 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
    I had a coolant leak at the back of the motor too... It turned out to be a leaking intercooler hose on the front of the Maggie. The coolant was traveling down a crevice in the intake manifold to the back of the motor where it was dripping down on the bell housing.

Hmmmm....CTSV_510. I need to check my hoses. I had them off to top off the resevoir just before finding the leak. I wonder if I cut the hose or didnt tighten the clamp. I've got the Maggie disassembeld and now am doing plugs and wires. What plugs are you guys running? Found AC Delco 41-985 installed and would like to go one colder. Looks like most are running NGK TR6. Anyone running the TR6IX plugs or a AC Delco plug at 1 heat range colder? I would like to use AC Delco but can't find what plug is one colder than the 41-985 (41-110).

PISNUOFF Guest

I run the TR6ix, but I have a stroker.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.