CTS-V specific track day check and prep?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, CTS-V specific track day check and prep? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hi all, relatively new here. I did search for a few minutes so don't shoot me as I'm sure this ...
    Demon Speed is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 74' Eldo vert. in a barn

CTS-V specific track day check and prep?

Hi all,
    relatively new here.
    I did search for a few minutes so don't shoot me as I'm sure this as been asked before.

Heading to VIR on Tuesday with 2005 CTS-V.

Outside of the normal track prep and inspection are there any items CTS-V1 specific that I should inspect or watch out for?

Car: 2005 V w/ mods headers, w/cats, Magnaflow catback w/ additional 4 inch dia. resonators, cold air, short shifter.
    81k miles
    Front diff. bushing has been replaced
    Supposedly diff was upgraded or rebuilt under warranty
    Have EBC Yellow stuff pads on the way.
    Running Cont. Extreme DWS tires.

Only issue I've found with the car is that sometimes shifter is hard to move or stick in gear if rolling with clutch in. I've bleed the clutch with no improvement.

This is my daily driver. I have an LS powered E36 M3 that I usually take to the track, but it won't be reassembled in time for this event.
    I doubt I'll be taking the V back to the track anytime soon after this.

I am going with the Track Daze group and running in Advanced group.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

crankedupforit is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE

Re: CTS-V specific track day check and prep?

Outside of the normal stuff you may want to pickup a bottle of Redline power steering fluid and suck out the old stuff with a turkey baster. Lots of reports of boiling fluid on the V1. Also there is a notorious issue with bad grounding which causes the oil temp warning to bong like crazy once it gets hot on the track. If this happens look at the coolant temp and if it seems normal then you probably have a ground problem and can continue to drive. Star washers on the ground straps to the back of the passenger side cylinder head and the passenger side hood strut seem to help. Watch the front sidewalls for cupping marks from rolling. Factory tire pressure seems to work best. Front calipers may turn a bronze color from the paint reacting to the heat. No big deal though. Enjoy your track day.
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

Junior1 is offline Cadillac Owners Racer
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Racecar, 2011 Escalade ESV

Don't forget to put the car into Comp. Mode

Change out the brake fluid as well and replace with Motul if you haven't already. Chances are your gonna cook the stock fluid

Probably in the middle of the session, most likely in the middle of a turn the tire pressure alarms will go off, so just be ready for them

Track down Mike Skeen, tell him Chris from NY says hello, and then let him take you around the track. He's one of the best @ VIR and he's run a V there before...
    2005 cadillac cts-v.r #83 nasa st3 . 2011 escalade esv . 2011 sierra denali

JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys

In addition to the good points already mentioned, which most are V specific, and if you're already in Advanced, Im sure you already know...but I still want to say just to keep ya safe... those tires are all seasons and going to get greasy quickly. I would be careful through the climbing essess and T10 and coming down Hogspen. Have fun! Some day I'd like to get back to VIR ...and with my V.

rjoffe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Few items:

1. Running advanced (you should know) but check torque on wheels between sessions, they have been known to come loose.
    2. Keep her fueled up. Tank will suck air on corners at about 10.5 gallons used.

Hey great info. I definitely don't want to have any offs since this is my DD. I've talked to one of my previous instructors who will be there and asked him to ride along since I've never taken this car on the track and I'm used to smaller and lighter M3.

It'll be an interesting comparison between the M3 the V.

I've seen Mike Skeen out there but haven't talked to him before. Awesome driver, from all his youtube videos it seems like he's raced about everything.

No tire pressure senors, previous owner took them out
    I'll check the grounds, good call. Highest engine oil temp I've seen on a 100F day is about 225F street driving.
    Brake bleed, got Super Blue
    PS, good tip I'll get some Red Line
    Tire pressures 36 psi cold? Is this a good starting point on stock size 245/45/18 Cont. DWS for the V?
    Yea they are going to go to crap in short order.

Do you guys slightly over fill with engine oil?

I know F-body guys put in 6 qts for track days when 5.5 is called for.

Anyone have thoughts on the occasionaly sticking shifter?

I more thing, is there any way set Comp. Mode to default or always on?

Otherwise I'm taping a note the steering wheel.

JDB

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Speed View Post
    I more thing, is there any way set Comp. Mode to default or always on?

Otherwise I'm taping a note the steering wheel.
    Not that I know if... probably a (good) safety feature that it defaults to nanny features on.

Can you get into Comp Mode without tire pressure sensors?

And, yes, I add 1 full qt of oil over. You will probably burn some, so check it -- forgot about that. Never did in any other car before. ::shrugs::

JDB

Quote Originally Posted by rjoffe View Post
    Few items:

2. Keep her fueled up. Tank will suck air on corners at about 10.5 gallons used.
    Agreed! I wasn't paying attention to it at Summit Point one time and each time I made the Lefty at T3, the car stumbled. Not knowing WTF was up...and seemed fine otherwise everywhere else, I backed off a bit for a few turns and no stumbling. ..so, wind it back up through T8 ...and come to T3 again and it shuts off WTF?! Check mirrors, get out of the way, cranking it over and over and it fired...um, ok...take a lap at moderate pace. Sure enough, T3 shuts off... and it hits me...GAS! Flagger is grabbing the black flag and I quickly put my fist out that I'm pitting... and noding my head that I see him ...d'oh! Get a few gallons in and head back out...fine again.

Junior1 is offline Cadillac Owners Racer
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Racecar, 2011 Escalade ESV

Quote Originally Posted by JDB View Post
    Can you get into Comp Mode without tire pressure sensors?
    This ^

There is no way to default it into Comp Mode, but make sure that you can get into it without the sensors like he said. Otherwise, do a quick search on here.
    We figured a way to do it by removing a fuse (crankedupforit started the thread)
    2005 cadillac cts-v.r #83 nasa st3 . 2011 escalade esv . 2011 sierra denali

crankedupforit is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE

Without the TPMs after 50 miles or so the constraint to go into comp mode goes away. You should be OK.

PISNUOFF Guest

You will starve for fuel around right hand turns starting at about 1/2-3/8 of a tank of fuel. Only fill the PS fluid to the level of the seam between the top and bottom halves. It will overflow out of the cap until it gets down to this level anyhow.

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

Quote Originally Posted by JDB View Post
    Agreed! I wasn't paying attention to it at Summit Point one time and each time I made the Lefty at T3, the car stumbled. Not knowing WTF was up...and seemed fine otherwise everywhere else, I backed off a bit for a few turns and no stumbling. ..so, wind it back up through T8 ...and come to T3 again and it shuts off WTF?! Check mirrors, get out of the way, cranking it over and over and it fired...um, ok...take a lap at moderate pace. Sure enough, T3 shuts off... and it hits me...GAS! Flagger is grabbing the black flag and I quickly put my fist out that I'm pitting... and noding my head that I see him ...d'oh! Get a few gallons in and head back out...fine again.
    I had basically the same experience at BIR up in MN. T3 is a hard braking zone with a sharp right. Stumbled a couple times and then cut out completely. Filled up with gas and didn't have another problem on that corner.
    Definitely one of the more "oh shit" moments when you lose all power on track.

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Speed View Post
    Hey great info. I definitely don't want to have any offs since this is my DD. I've talked to one of my previous instructors who will be there and asked him to ride along since I've never taken this car on the track and I'm used to smaller and lighter M3.

It'll be an interesting comparison between the M3 the V.

I've seen Mike Skeen out there but haven't talked to him before. Awesome driver, from all his youtube videos it seems like he's raced about everything.

No tire pressure senors, previous owner took them out
    I'll check the grounds, good call. Highest engine oil temp I've seen on a 100F day is about 225F street driving.
    Brake bleed, got Super Blue
    PS, good tip I'll get some Red Line
    Tire pressures 36 psi cold? Is this a good starting point on stock size 245/45/18 Cont. DWS for the V?
    Yea they are going to go to crap in short order.

Do you guys slightly over fill with engine oil?

I know F-body guys put in 6 qts for track days when 5.5 is called for.

Anyone have thoughts on the occasionaly sticking shifter?
    I'm new to track days, but 36psi cold seems kind of high. I have Potenza 760 Sport tires and they seemed to like to be at 38psi hot on track. Over that and they got slippery.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by crankedupforit View Post
    Without the TPMs after 50 miles or so the constraint to go into comp mode goes away. You should be OK.
    Indeed. I drove to an autocross on slicks and the constraint, indeed, goes away. Now, driving the streets on slicks ain't so smart. But since you got streets...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.