CTS-V specific track day check and prep? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree7Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, CTS-V specific track day check and prep? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; About the distance from my house to summit point is perfect (52 miles). Works every time, My track wheels have ...
    rjoffe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: CTS-V specific track day check and prep?

About the distance from my house to summit point is perfect (52 miles). Works every time, My track wheels have tpms, but not sync'd to the car. I change at home, and by the time I get there, Comp mode is good to go.
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

I wish I had a great track that close. We were supposed to get one in Palmer, MA, owned by the SCCA. Looks like it's dead...

crankedupforit is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE
    Quote Originally Posted by rjoffe
    About the distance from my house to summit point is perfect (52 miles). Works every time, My track wheels have tpms, but not sync'd to the car. I change at home, and by the time I get there, Comp mode is good to go.
    Pull the trunk release fuse. It disables the key fob and the TPMs. Works for me. No driving on slicks required.

vms4evr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS

Tracking an LS6... I have on 02 Z06 I track. The LS6 loves it. Overfill oil as noted and just watch your oil temps. 260-270 is about as far up as you want to go. That puts the connecting rods and important stuff close to 300 degrees. After that you are asking to toast a motor. 250 and below is fine. You won't kill it.

Take that show cover off the top of the engine. Even on the Vette we yank the fuel rail covers. That stuff just soaks heat in the engine.

36psi cold starting pressure seems a bit high. Even in a car that heavy. I'd consider 34/32 at most and 32/30 more realistic. Keep a pressure gauge in the car. Do about 3 hot laps and come in to hot grid. Jump out and check pressures. You don't want to be past 40psi on any tire. You'll probably have to bleed some out of the front left, maybe both fronts. Take the valve cover caps off and leave them off. That way when you want to check pressures you don't need to fiddle with them.

I'm not familiar with EBC Yellow but none of the guys I know run EBC anything on track. If they're fresh pads and you just flushed with super blue then you'll withstand some heat. I seriously doubt you can run hard for 20-30 minute sessions. I'd extend your braking zone a few markers after 10-15 minutes and watch it.

Keep an eye on your rear pads. If you're going to run Comp Mode that thing is going to manipulate the ABS on the rear pads if you get aggressive. I used Comp Mode for a few events when I started then just turned all the nanny devices off. After a couple of sessions to feel out the V over your M3. I'd just turn it all off and leave it off.

I'd also suggest, if there is room left, ask to run in Intermediate group maybe, first day. You'll get less pressure to deal with pass anywhere and spend less time in your mirrors and more time focusing on learning the V on track. Especially if VIR is not your home track. VIR is a ton of fun and definitely fits in the horsepower track part of the world. I love that track!

Good luck. Please post back the good and bad of this car on track, especially compared to your M3. I'm shopping for a V now and debating whether it will ever see a track or not.

winstonlv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 ctsv

Quote Originally Posted by vms4evr View Post
    Keep an eye on your rear pads. If you're going to run Comp Mode that thing is going to manipulate the ABS on the rear pads if you get aggressive. I used Comp Mode for a few events when I started then just turned all the nanny devices off. After a couple of sessions to feel out the V over your M3. I'd just turn it all off and leave it off..
    Stabil-track is for the street. I agree with vms, turn it off on the track.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    I disagree. I keep it on Competition Mode for the track...

PISNUOFF Guest

I had the most grip on street tires with 35 psi hot. I started with 29 or 30 cold.
    odla and odla like this.

crankedupforit is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE
    Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF
    I had the most grip on street tires with 35 psi hot. I started with 29 or 30 cold.
    I agree. Factory settings are a good start.

Demon Speed is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 74' Eldo vert. in a barn

Update.
    So I did the track event with no major issues.
    I started out in the advanced group, keep in mind haven't been on track in over a year and was first time on track with this car. Yeah way outgunned and rusty. Frist session sucked, very very fast group there. ZR1, Viper and Porsche Cup team in that group. I pulled myself back to the intermediate group for the rest of the day.

By the 3rd session I had most of the cob webs out.
    As for the car, all sessions DWS's definitely crap for the track. Stock suspension bushings too soft in combination with tires car was very loose under throttle and braking. I ran in comp. mode first two sessions and the nanny system was constantly fighting me and pulling power. Turned it all off for last two sessions much better.
    Oil temp reached 300F very quickly in last two sessions and had to back it down every few laps it seemed.

The brakes performed quite well although small amout of fluid leaked from bleeders, guess I should torque these and recheck after each session. PS steering did not boil over. Engine oil consumption was minimal.

In summery the V in stock form is a great street car but wasn't that great on track as compared to my M3...which was expected.
    Regardless is was good to get some seat time, get the rust out and have some experience in a different car.

For reference, best time in V was about 2:29 full course, not sure if had a clean lap though. Last track day in the M was running about 2:15 on street tires.

Now I'm even more motivated to get the M back together and back on the track.

Thomas M is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

How do you like the tires on the street?

winstonlv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 ctsv

Glad to hear you had a good track day with the V. So you ended turning stabli-trac/traction control completely off. I'm with you, drive the car, don't let it drive you. Even in "competitive driving mode" it is still way to intrusive, as you found out. It works great on the street to keep the average joe safe, on the track it's a security blanket for the n00bs and also-rans.

Sticky tires and racing brake pads/fluid make such a difference on this car.
    As for the oil temp, I doubt it's really 300F. Your water temp would be climbing right along with it. There is a ground issue that causes high oil temp readings on thgese cars. My V1 oil temp alarm went off everytime I tracked it. Even after installing an oil cooler it still would go to 300. As long as your water temp is close to normal your oil temp can't be 300F.

Good luck with the M3!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.