Driveline vibration getting worse - suggestions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Driveline vibration getting worse - suggestions in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So I had the infamous clunk in the drivetrain fixed with the Creative Steel diff bushing and block - clunk ...
    Hockeyref is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Black CTSV

Driveline vibration getting worse - suggestions

So I had the infamous clunk in the drivetrain fixed with the Creative Steel diff bushing and block - clunk completely gone. BUT before I did that I tried the windshield adhesive in the driveshaft carrier bushing in case it was sagging, it seemed to help the clunk a little bit but also started a slight vibration at highway speed. When I put the diff bushing and block in, I also installed the Revshift flex disc and transmission mount insert. Everything immediately felt better, tighter, but I had a vibration at around 50 mph, now it seems to have disappeared at 50 mph, but gotten much worse from about 25 to 35mph, then it smooths out as I speed up So my thoughts are that perhaps I changed the driveshaft angle with that gunk in my driveshaft bushing, and with the new parts, especially the stiffer flex disc amplifies the problem. I am thinking of trying to removed the gunk out of the driveshaft bushing and going back to the original flex disc, even though I don't really want to. Any suggestions out there before I get under the car again? I have to leave town for a few days so I won't get back to work on it for a while, so am hoping for some suggestions....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ls6 v power is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS V

Re: Driveline vibration getting worse - suggestions

Ya im having the same issue, I recently replaced driveshaft and both rear axels along with replacing factory diff mounts with Creative steel diff mounts and replacing motor mounts with creative steel mounts as well. At or around 45 mph and at 80 the vibration is intense. Im going to get all four wheels high speed balanced sometime this week to make sure thats not the issue just because the vibration comes and goes at different speeds, and quite possibly a four wheel alignment because I also lowerd my car shortly before the new goodies underneath. I would like some thoughts on what else the vibration could be from as well

Wow that's a lot of stuff you have done to your car, which unfortunately expands the possibilities of what the problem might be. My guess would be now that you have stiffer bushings and stiffer mounts that any slight vibration you had before has been amplified. Are you sure the driveshaft was installed correctly? If not, I would think that this could certainly cause the problem you describe.

I was afraid someone would say that!! This is the reason I swapped the old one out, I thought the vibration was from the old drive shaft but after replacing the vibration continued. hmmm running out of things to replace!

jtcu is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS V

I had a similar issue, however the vibration was at all speeds... Had the driveshaft balanced and that was the issue - total cost $60

Driveshaft balance? ... I will deff. look into that as well!

So I just got back from holidays so today I took out the windshield adhesive I had put in the driveshaft carrier bushing. My vibration initially was 80% gone but then seemed to return on my second test drive. Still only vibration from 25-35mph and then it's fine. Wondering about driveshaft balance now as well or perhaps that new stiffer flex disc? Does anyone know if it's important as to whether or not the bolts thru the flex disc make any difference? There are 6 bolts that look very similar but it seemed that 3 were of one type and 3 were another-had to sub in 2 new bolts as one got cross threaded.

9t8z28 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

i have the same issue with my car at 20-30 mph. My issue I am sure is the Revshift coupler. When you torque down the bolts, the aluminum sleeve crushes. When it crushes the bolt shifts to one side and thus causes it to be unbalanced. I didn't even get 15lbs of torque on the bolt before the sleeve crushed. I don't know if replacing the sleeve with something more durable like steel will fix the issue.
    Here are some pictures. Notice the washer is not centered over the poly insert.

Mn800r and Mn800r like this.

nvthev is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 cts-v

wow, that is alot. I haven't looked under mine yet,I'm scared to, but are the stock ones have a steel sleve or alum also?

Revshift is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    i have the same issue with my car at 20-30 mph. My issue I am sure is the Revshift coupler. When you torque down the bolts, the aluminum sleeve crushes. When it crushes the bolt shifts to one side and thus causes it to be unbalanced. I didn't even get 15lbs of torque on the bolt before the sleeve crushed. I don't know if replacing the sleeve with something more durable like steel will fix the issue.
    The sleeves are zinc plated steel, not aluminum.

If you managed to crush the sleeves during install then something went very wrong. We are attempting to contact you right now to figure out your situation.

jtcu is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS V

Hopefully it isn't the cv joint, since it is part of the driveshaft on these and requires the whole driveshaft to be replaced... if i am not mistaken. Any luck finding out the issue?

So I took my car into the GM dealer and they were very helpful. Turns out that the guy who put on my flex disc cross threaded two of the original bolts and put in two shorter ones of a different weight. This was enough to throw the driveshaft off balance and cause the majority of the problem.then took out the rev shift flex disc and
    put the original back in. My vibration is GONE. Rev shift has told me they will rebuild my flex disc as some of the sleeves are a little deformed to oblong instead of round-then I will keep it as a spare when my oem disc eventually dies. Rev shift was very familiar with the vibration issue (20-40mph) and says you need to shim the trans rear mount to adjust the driveline. I have read this on the forum as well. For now my car is working GREAT with the CS diff bushing, block and the revahift trans insert, and oem flex disc.

Ya, looks like I will be going to the dealership Friday to see what all damage I have done! wonder why my vibration starts at 44 stops at like 46 and comes back at 75?

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by ls6 v power View Post
    Ya, looks like I will be going to the dealership Friday to see what all damage I have done! wonder why my vibration starts at 44 stops at like 46 and comes back at 75?
    ls6 v power, I look forward to your updates and please let me know if you'd like me to contact your dealer to follow up for you at any point. My email is Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you would ever like further assistance!

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Scheduled myself in Friday the 6th at 11:00Am ill keep ya posted on whats wrong! Thanks alot Katie!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.