Pinion Support Brace, OR CS Diff Bushing ?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Pinion Support Brace, OR CS Diff Bushing ? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; After using my camera to view the "clunk".... wow... the diff really slops around in there. Do you guys recommend ...
    SevillianSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Pinion Support Brace, OR CS Diff Bushing ?

After using my camera to view the "clunk".... wow... the diff really slops around in there.

Do you guys recommend buying the pinion support brace, or just replace the diff bushing with the polyurethane one made by creative steel? Seems the support brace would be a lot easier to install, but the CS bushing is half the price.

Also.. are there any drawbacks to adding the support brace, other than possible more noise? Thought I read somewhere a while back... maybe easier to blow up the diff or something like that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Pinion Support Brace, OR CS Diff Bushing ?

I would replace the differential bushing, but skip the pinion brace, which can do more harm than good. The OEM bushing produces less sound transfer, but is not known for its longevity. Aftermarket bushings last longer, but introduce varying levels of noise depending on which one you get.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ce-issues.html

Any one out there try the Creative Steel Bushing ?
    What are some recommendations. I do have a new gen 4 diff and no whine. Mostly concerned with noise from the new bushing.

JOEYCTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan
    I have the pinion brace from my 04 V if you're interested. I had it installed for 7 years without a problem. Still had the stock diff when I traded the car in. Any reasonable offer will take it.

Hey Darkman, what do you think about this:

https://creative-steel.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=48

My diff is only a year old with a few thousand miles, so the bushing should be in good shape, do you think this would correct MOST of the clunk?

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by SevillianSTS View Post

My diff is only a year old with a few thousand miles, so the bushing should be in good shape, do you think this would correct MOST of the clunk?
    The short answer is "I don't know." I have not installed the differential block although I might do so in the future.

I do not recall any negaive posts from those that have installed the differential block. Some report most of the clunk being gone, but most reports involve the bushing being replaced concurrently with the block. The only negative I recall reading about was some increase in noise, particuarly from those whose differential was whining some before making any changes.

GDPossehl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V

I'd replace the bushing and go from there. The longer bolt on the pinion brace is actually a real pain to get back in.

kpowers05 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

I have the CS bushing and block. I ran the car with just the bushing for quite some time cause when we were in stalling it we had trouble getting the diff back in & thought it was because of the block. turned out the diff was going in crooked. I still had plenty of clunk after the bushing install and thought the driveshaft was bad. Turned out the three bolts (one in bushing, two in back of diff) had worked themselves back loose. Went ahead and dropped the diff back out and installed the block this time. Now I can drive it ALMOST exactly the way I want to. No clunk at all. Takes quite a bit of abuse. I've thought about the brace but just haven't dropped the hammer. Speaking of, JOEYCTS-V take $30 for that brace?

Quote Originally Posted by kpowers05 View Post
    I have the CS bushing and block. I ran the car with just the bushing for quite some time cause when we were in stalling it we had trouble getting the diff back in & thought it was because of the block. turned out the diff was going in crooked. I still had plenty of clunk after the bushing install and thought the driveshaft was bad. Turned out the three bolts (one in bushing, two in back of diff) had worked themselves back loose. Went ahead and dropped the diff back out and installed the block this time. Now I can drive it ALMOST exactly the way I want to. No clunk at all. Takes quite a bit of abuse. I've thought about the brace but just haven't dropped the hammer. Speaking of, JOEYCTS-V you have an email since I can't for the life of me figure out how to send a PM on here.
    Did the bushing and block add a lot more noise inside the cabin ?

JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys

I'd say the block does more to reduce the slop than bushing. The bushing basically just prolongs the life of the bushing you have in there namely compared to stock that will fail.

My experience is due to having the CS bushing and block on the workbench and having the drive's side diff bolt snap. Thought I blew out my gen4 diff that was put in under CPO with a new diff bushing...about 15k miles previously. So, since this is my daily, had a bolt overnighted and removed the diff since half of the bolt was still in it. Thankfully, as soon as the drill hit the bolt, bolt went out the back cleanly and put in an easyout anyway and got it out. Phew! Since I didn't have a diff bushing removal tool, I put the block in only when I re-installed the diff with the new bolt. I borrowed the diff tool when a local bought from CS and put in the CS bushing...to find my recent stock bushing was cracked.

kpowers05 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

I have not noticed any increase in noise. However my exhaust is fairly loud, so... lol.

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

Quote Originally Posted by SevillianSTS View Post

The OEM bushing is a piece of crap. New or not, it shouldn't allow that much movement. Sounds like you are barely off idle, think about how much that thing is moving under hard acceleration.

I've had the CS diff bushing for 2+ years and it's still good. Like others said it transmits slightly more noise, but my stock bushing had basically no rubber left in it.

The Diff block wasn't around when I put my bushing in so I don't have one. Thinking about getting one though.

Hockeyref is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Black CTSV

I definitely recommend the CS bushing and block. Completely took care of the clunk on my car, I did not notice much difference in noise and my car is pretty much stock. I have some vibration now that I am dealing with but that is likely due to some other things that I did at the same time as the bushing install.

2blackcaddies is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.2 5 Spd, 2000 Deville

Hello all, I just put in the CS guibo and diff bushing. I'll be driving around tommorrow and I'll let ya ll know. I had the clunk. Is it gone? STAY TUNED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2blackcaddies View Post
    Hello all, I just put in the CS guibo and diff bushing. I'll be driving around tommorrow and I'll let ya ll know. I had the clunk. Is it gone? STAY TUNED!!!
    How'd that turn out for you ?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.